WEEK 4 DAY 19

Options
31 Then Jesus went to Capernaum, a town in Galilee, and taught there in the synagogue every Sabbath day. 32 There, too, the people were amazed at his teaching, for he spoke with authority.

33 Once when he was in the synagogue, a man possessed by a demon—an evil spirit—began shouting at Jesus, 34 “Go away! Why are you interfering with us, Jesus of Nazareth? Have you come to destroy us? I know who you are—the Holy One of God!”

35 Jesus cut him short. “Be quiet! Come out of the man,” he ordered. At that, the demon threw the man to the floor as the crowd watched; then it came out of him without hurting him further.

36 Amazed, the people exclaimed, “What authority and power this man’s words possess! Even evil spirits obey him, and they flee at his command!” 37 The news about Jesus spread through every village in the entire region.

Replies

• 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    Sorry for not posting. I am still reading and praying, but having an extra busy weekend/week and now I am having a chronic fatigue flair up.

It's been good to read through these verses, I don't think I have read through the book of Luke, on a whole, since high school.
  • MrsLarCat
    MrsLarCat Posts: 118
    Options
    Even the demon recognized Jesus!! It even acknowledged that Jesus was the Holy One of God, to me, that really says something - this is not a being that is supporting Jesus or his mission, but in fact is in direct opposition, yet, he still identifies Jesus for who he is - God's son. I've always been curious about the casting out of demons in biblical times - does this still happen today? Was it just mental illness??

Lord,
    Please watch over me, help me to always know that Jesus is your son and you sent him to save us from our sins. Help me feel secure in my place in heaven. I want to continue to get to know you. I want to try and go to church this Sunday, please give me a hunger for this - help me develop and grow in my relationship with you and your word. I pray that Joey comes to you. I pray that you keep myself and my family safe and closer to you. In Jesus' precious name I pray, Amen.
  • Ladyinwaiting4
    Ladyinwaiting4 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    observation: The demons recognize the power of Jesus Christ.

Application: I have the power of Jesus inside me and I can cast out demons in his name

Prayer: I ask you to help me recognize the power of you living inside me. I can know I have the power in your name to cast out demons.
  • kimbershep
    kimbershep Posts: 72
    Options
    LUKE 4:31-37

OBSERVATION
    The evil spirit (demon) immediately knew who Jesus was and the authority he carried when in his presence. If the evil spirit can, how come it was so hard for others during that time to realize who he was. They questioned his authority instead of acknowledging it.

Everyone in church is not there for the good. Personally, I had to get over things that happens in the church which was making me not wanting to attend at one point in time. I had to realize that just like this man, some people bring evil spirits with them which is why one might cross people in the church with really bad attitudes and act very negative. They show the characteristics of their father, satan, and try to bring down as many christians as possible. So, now I just stay prayed up and keep my guard up for those that don't mean any good.

The world we live in is saturated with evil. However, we as christians can live in this world and not be of it. We are a light in this world of darkness. People should see the Jesus in us the same way the evil spirit recognized Jesus. We have that same authority and can do more. That is what the word of God states. We should never be afraid of any evil spirit or anything of this world that means us no good. Our faith in God and the power He has given us through Jesus Christ overrides any of that.

APPLICATION
    I will make use of the authority and power that was given to me as a child of God.

PRAYER
    Heavenly Father, thank you for saving me. I ask that you help me to be faithful with the things that you have entrusted in me. It is my desire to witness verbally and through my life-living. It is my desire to walk in your Word and by the Spirit. Help me to do just that. I would like for people to see the Jesus in me and for me to be of help to anyone I cross paths with. Thank you for all things in your son Jesus Christ name I pray, Amen.