finding the time

Options
Hi I am a new member I just started using this site about 3 days ago, I am finding it very hard to fit in a good workout into my busy schedule:( I know I need to make time but it is so hard between my kiddos and working 10-12 hour shifts Im just so tired by the time I get home anyone have any ideas how to fit in a good workout into a busy schedule like mine?

Replies

• Christinamarie77
    Christinamarie77 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I WAS (key term was) getting up 20 mins to an hour earlier 3 times a week. But now that my hours are extended I am having trouble even getting up on time at all. Schedule it in, On the calendar, make them aware of it. everything else that goes on is written on ours and it gets done, so I started scheduling ME in. a 15 min dog walk, 10 mins on the elliptical, whatever you do, no matter how small, just do it. the longer you do it the less tired you will be and then will make and have more time to add more in. (I am still working on this, but because of the past I know it works...you just have to want it). Good luck!! and feel free to add me :)
  • MrsG31
    MrsG31 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I struggle with this as well, but I don't think I am even that busy of a person, lol!

I have 2 small children (almost 5 yr old DIVA and almost 2 yr old ball of energy) that seem to consume all my attention when we are at home. I work M-F from 8-4:30 and I am the the one that takes them to and from daycare. My husband cooks dinner, but this because when I am in the kitchen the kids will not leave me alone and my dear husband is no help unless he is the one cooking and I am keeping the kids out of his way, entertaining them, and doing homework and housework at the same time. I am not organized and I am no supermom by even the slighest!

So far, all I have been able to do is walk during my breaks at work (2x a day) and I recently started doing strength training at night after the kids are in bed. I am *aiming* to do this at least 3x a week if not every other day, but it is not a habit yet so sometimes I slack or something else comes up. Like I was supposed to do it Tuesday but I spent like 2 hours putting together Mother's Days cards and other cards to mail out to relatives with the kids school pictures. So last night, after bath/story/bed, I put away laundry in my room and then did my exercise while I caught up on my DVR'd shows.

I would love to join a gym again because I miss taking dance-related classes and the weight-lifting class, but I feel like it would be a waste of money at this point. I don't do any of the at-home DVD's because they would have to be done after the kids go to bed and I am sorry to admit, but we are TV junkies. So instead I opted to do my own exercises while I watch my shows. I would LOVE to go take the dog on walks after dinner, BY MYSELF, but my kids will whine and pout and throw a tantrum b/c they want to go to. But walking with the kids is the SLOWEST WALK EVER. We sometimes all go for a walk or the kids ride bikes/trikes, but again.....much more stopping than walking.

One day. One day!

Oh, and feel free to add me!
  • Christinamarie77
    Christinamarie77 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Do you have a wagon?? Pulling one of those babys makes the work out even better. I have my moments when I want to take the dogs alone, or just go by myself but when it's not an option, it's just now. you know. any parks near by? let the kids run around like mad, chase them etc.

I watch our DVR shows while on the elliptical at home, whatever works!
  • jondyalec1
    jondyalec1 Posts: 21
    Options
    My husband works nights and I work during the day. I have 1 hour inbetween when he gets home and before i have to go to work. I go to the gym for 45 minutes during that time. The more you work out the more energy you will have!
  • mamarundrc
    mamarundrc Posts: 1,577 Member
    Options
    I am a mom of a 2.5 year old and a 7 week old. I just recently started running again. On the weekends I go during naptimes. During the week I go in the evening and make my husband stay with them (eventhough I am usually dead tired) When I go back to work in 3 weeks I plan on using my lunch break to get either a walk or a run in. There is a gym where I work so I might start using that for some strength training as well.

Good luck, It is a tough balance. Find things you can do with your kids. Also, feel free to add me as a friend if you want more support.
  • Phdmom24
    Phdmom24 Posts: 2
    Options
    Hi there! I struggle with this as well - my daughter just turned 4 and my son is 14 months, so it is hard to not feel like I am neglecting them if I take time to exercise. One thing I try to do nightly is take a walk with the kids (baby in the stroller) to help model the kind of active behavior I want for them (e.g. exercise is a normal part of our day). Even 15 or 20 minutes seems to improve everyone's mood and give me a little bit of exercise. I am also fortunate enough to be able to afford a membership at our local YMCA which offers a ton of classes and (importantly) 2 free hours of daycare/ day. If it has been a rough week and my husband just can't manage keeping the kids, I pack them up for an hour at the gym. Although this took some getting used to for my daughter, she is now excited to "do her exercises" and has become more interested in the kinds of activities she can participate in. I try to do this at least once a week, since I feel like being healthy helps make me a much better mom. Good luck and keep doing your best - it's all any of us can do! (Also, feel free to add me as a friend:))
  • kestie77
    kestie77 Posts: 39
    Options
    It is very hard, I agree. For me, the only time I could find was 4:30 in the morning. Far from ideal, but once I started getting in the habit, it became easier. I would go for a run, without headphones, and I really started to enjoy it. This winter I developed plantar faciitis, and so haven't been able to run and I actually started to miss it. There's something about starting a hectic day with the peace of being the only person out on the streets. I am almost done with my PT for my foot, and am looking forward to getting back into the routine.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    I start at 4am,, first thing in the morning, then I get it done and do not have to worry about it, and I feel great for the rest of the day too.
  • Annie831
    Annie831 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    finding time is hard I have a 3 1/2 year old little girl My husband works odd hours and has to get up for work at 3 am so he goes to bed much before my and my daughter do so its just me at night with her so we do things together and she loves to do things with me so i use her as resistance in a lot of my exercises. for example she sits on my stomach when i do sit ups or crunches and balance her on my feet and push her in the air like she is flying while i lay on my back and she copys me when doing squats and lunges she loves jumpin jacks too lol. the main thing is that it gives us bonding time and teaches her how to be active and have fun. now that it is summer we are out side running around and we love dancing. this started out when she was a baby and we just kept going as my body got used to her wieght as resistance she kept growing so it worked out well . Always looking forward to talking with other moms for ideas and such so add me.
  • CoRockChick77
    CoRockChick77 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    As my girls have gotten older, it has become a bit easier to fit in exercise...as long as it’s something they can be included in. My 7-year-old can ride her own bike and I attached a tag-a-long to my bike for my 4-year-old so we can go on bike rides in the evening and on weekends. We have a basketball hoop in our driveway so we can play basketball and sometimes we’ll take a soccer ball to the park to kick around. You can even try some strength training exercises on the playground equipment while they play. For me, it’s all about getting creative.
  • ks4e
    ks4e Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I aim for either working out early or exercising during my one hour lunch break. I like short, effective workouts like the 30 Day Shred or jogging a mile or two (20 mins max). Now that I have a baby who is nursing and I need to pump, I either wake up early or ask my husband to watch our 2 children for half an hour so I can do a workout at home. I still try to aim for 100 squats (no weights) during lunch though.

There are days when my husband can't help though, and I really need my sleep, so I will go walk the track with my kids (pushing my 6 year old in a stroller and carrying my 6 month old in a carrier) or around the neighborhood.
  • Sjenny5891
    Sjenny5891 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Hi I am a new member I just started using this site about 3 days ago, I am finding it very hard to fit in a good workout into my busy schedule:( I know I need to make time but it is so hard between my kiddos and working 10-12 hour shifts Im just so tired by the time I get home anyone have any ideas how to fit in a good workout into a busy schedule like mine?

Hiking carrier for walks
    Jogging stroller for runs
    Google exercise with baby... there are several you can do.
    Google 5 minute workouts. I will do them instead of the smoke breaks at work.
    I work overnights. I just found out the gym is open when I get off during the week. It doesn't do me any good to go to sleep before the baby gets up... he always wakes up screaming. Plus the hour workout helps me go to sleep.