Color Run comes to the UK

Options
pixtotts
pixtotts Posts: 552 Member
If you dont know what a color run is ...check out this video! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4EERSfHiqT8
Basically you run 5k, and at intervals people will throw coloured cornstarch at you... so you end up a brightly coloured mess :D
Its open to all men, women, walkers, runners, the fast, the slow, the young (children under 5 are free!), the old, anyone and everyone!

These have been happening in America for a couple years now, they started finding their ways over seas - Australia, Amsterdam... and finall its coming to England, they have two dates this year 14th July in London and 21st July in Manchester.
It costs £25 + £4.99 P+P for a solo runner/walker and £23 + P+P for team members, (a team being 4+). The reason for P+P is they send you a t-shirt, sweat band, your number, and the oh so exciting packet of powder for the post run celebrations!

You can sign up here - www.thecolorrun.co.uk

And if you are joining in Manchester and looking for a team anyone is welcome to join me and my friends just send me a message for team name and password to join us :D

I cant wait!!!! July is too far away!
x

Replies

• Ben_1960
    Ben_1960 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Sorry but £30 for a 5K and a bit of a stunt is taking the P***!
  • pixtotts
    Options
    Sorry but £30 for a 5K and a bit of a stunt is taking the P***!

some of the £25 registration fee goes to Stand up for Cancer part of Cancer Research UK, £5 is postage (understandable considering they are posting a t-shirt n whatnot...
    I'm doing it instead of race for life which is about £15 (I think its actually £14 but not sure :S) and also 5k and you then have to pester people to sponsor you for the charity to actually get anything this they get the money without you having to do that :)
    x

(uh i probably should of added that bit in the first post... oops..)
  • HatherM
    HatherM Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    I signed up for this today, for the Manchester one, it looks like great fun & I love the fact I can help charity, be healthy & not have to pester loads of people for sponsorship. i've just started C25K so I thought having something like this to aim for will keep me motivated to train :smile:
  • pixtotts
    Options
    I signed up for this today, for the Manchester one, it looks like great fun & I love the fact I can help charity, be healthy & not have to pester loads of people for sponsorship. i've just started C25K so I thought having something like this to aim for will keep me motivated to train :smile:
    Yay!
    I plan start c25k again on monday... though I just replied to you in the color run post on team uk group so you possibly already know that :P lol x
  • Ben_1960
    Options
    Sorry but I am not convinced. This is a "for profits" organisation ans they clearly state in their FAQ's:

"Is The Color Run™ a charity or a non-profit organization?

The Color Run™ is not a charity or non-profit organization. The Color Run, LLC is a “for profit” event company. For details on our charity partnerships….click here. "

They had 600,000 entrants in the USA in 2012 paying $60.00 per entry which equates to $36 million. They gave $600,000 to various charities according to their website which is a mere 1.67% of their turnover.

I just think we have many more better more established running events which are better vehicles for raising money.
  • pixtotts
    Options
    we are not going to agree on this... :P lol.

The £15 to Race for life goes into admin, its safe to assume none of that goes to charity only sponsorship raised does... so take that from color run... that leaves it at £15... so take off £5 postage thats just the cost of getting things to you... leaves £10... they give you a t-shirt, a pack of color , sweat band, and a really fun day which includes pretty colors... and then some does go to charity... I don't think that is all that unreasonable...

Ok no its not a huge amount they gave to charity if you go off the $36 mil you suggest... but taking into consideration what I just said and the fact they have running costs the $600,000 could have been quite a substantial amount compared to their profits we just don't know...

I'm not doing it because I'm a runner, I'm not doing it for charity, I'm doing it because its fun!
    But I think that's where being a 24 year old girl comes into play...
    x
  • Ben_1960
    Options
    No we are not going to agree and I can see most of the people who say they are doing it on this forum and the UK one are mostly young girls out to have fun. Thats fine. But £30 is astronomical for a 5K.

However to state that £15.00 per person goes to admin is akin to telling me that the moon is made of cheese. I do have some knowledge of the cost of admin of these large mass running events.

Hope you enjoy your day though as you certainly should expect to at that price!