Really want to get a faster 10km

Saree1902
Saree1902 Posts: 611 Member
Hi all,

My next shorter race is a 10km on 23rd June, and I'd really like to break the 60minute barrier! Last year, I managed 61 minutes, which was really hard work. Not helped by the last 1-1.5miles being a steep uphill! :noway:

I'm usually a half-marathon runner and my pace is slowly creeping from 10.5minute miles to 10minute miles. I currently do 2-3 short (3-4miles) runs and one long (8-10miles) a week, as I usually have a HM looming. However, the next one is not until September.

Is it worth keeping my long runs high(ish)-mileage, or would shorter and faster be the way to go for my 'main (weekend) run'?

All information/tips gratefully received! :flowerforyou:

Replies

• scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Keep a weekly long run of 2 to 2.5 hrs. That will benefit you in any distance race from around 800m on up.

Do a weekly tempo run of 20 to 30 minutes at your 10k pace, probably around 9:30 to 10:00 min/mi. Warm up at easy pace for 20 min, Run 20 to 30 min at tempo pace, cool down for 10 min at easy pace. If you want you can break up the tempo portion into intervals such as 5 x 6 min at tempo pace with 1 min recovery between each. If you are using a HRM you should be between 85 to 92% max heartrate during the tempo portions. It is supposed to be hard, but sustainable.

Add another day of easy run if you can.

Do around 6 to 10 strides at the end of 2 runs a week. Over around 100 meters accelerate to sprint in the first 50 meters and then cruise to the end. Run in control and not so fast that you lose control. Recover as much as you want between each one. The objective is to increase leg speed and stride length without a full blown speed workout.

Do not speed up your easy runs and long runs. That would be counterproductive. They should be run between 70 to 80% max heartrate. If you have to go slow to stay in that range you will still get more benefit that you will by running them too hard.
  • TheBrolympus
    TheBrolympus Posts: 586 Member
    Do around 6 to 10 strides at the end of 2 runs a week.

Maybe a stupid question, but what are strides?
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member

This is a pretty good description: http://www.runquick.com/corcorn/strides.html
  • ukgirly01
    ukgirly01 Posts: 523 Member
    I started strength training to get faster (and avoid injury) I ran a 5k in the last week in September last year in 32 mins. I didn't run again until last month, went straight in at 5k and logged 26mins, I asked my trainer why she gave me a load of the sport science behind it which basically boiled down to I'm stronger which makes me absorb and recycle the own force into forward motion and my stride length subsequently improved. My advice - get an S and C trainer to write you a strength program and or coach you, 6 mins off a 5k time is huge without and running practice
  • M_lifts
    M_lifts Posts: 2,218 Member
    Hello

Totally possible, I ran my 10k pb today at 58:04 ( have been running since 2011). I took a long break from running last year and got back into it in December, started off with 12.5 min miles and am now down to 9-9.5 min miles. I run about 3-4 times a week , can vary due to childcare etc. I run on a Tuesday with my running club (6 miles) and a long run at the weekend (10 miles+), I also do some speed work and an easy run (usually 3-4 miles). I also do insanity for some cross training - it has got me really fit!!

I find the weekend runs have made all the difference (my longest distance to date is 16miles, hoping to make it longer!) . Half marathons are my favourite distance to run. I run with a group at weekends and we push each other to do more each time, the average pace is about 11 mins, but I like it slow as I can run for longer.

I am not an expert but this has worked for me. I am hoping to do some longer tempo runs to maintain 9.5 min miles over 8 miles.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    I started strength training to get faster (and avoid injury) I ran a 5k in the last week in September last year in 32 mins. I didn't run again until last month, went straight in at 5k and logged 26mins, I asked my trainer why she gave me a load of the sport science behind it which basically boiled down to I'm stronger which makes me absorb and recycle the own force into forward motion and my stride length subsequently improved. My advice - get an S and C trainer to write you a strength program and or coach you, 6 mins off a 5k time is huge without and running practice

How much weight had you lost? What other cardio were you doing?
  • blackcloud13
    blackcloud13 Posts: 654 Member
    Bump
  • ukgirly01

Same weight -I'd lost it all by last summer- cardio a little hiit strength work once a week - burpees, press ups, med ball slams, that's it
  • vmclach
    vmclach Posts: 670 Member
    i'd try doing intervals. one idea

1 mile warm up- 12 min

4X1 mile at 9:30 pace

after every mile you could throw in a 30 sec "sprint" at 8:30 or 8 min pace.

then do a cool down 1 mile- 12 min.
  • vmclach
    vmclach Posts: 670 Member

Same weight -I'd lost it all by last summer- cardio a little hiit strength work once a week - burpees, press ups, med ball slams, that's it

the best way to get better at running is typically to run more. lol :)

with this logic, I would be able to take 6 months off of running and end up breaking 15min in the 5k
  • CarsonRuns

Just so you know, your results are atypical and I doubt that if 100 people followed your lead that any more than 1 of them would see the same results. That's awesome that you were able to make those gains without running, but as a couple people have already stated in this thread. The way to get faster running is to run more.
  • CarsonRuns
    Keep a weekly long run of 2 to 2.5 hrs. That will benefit you in any distance race from around 800m on up.

Do a weekly tempo run of 20 to 30 minutes at your 10k pace, probably around 9:30 to 10:00 min/mi. Warm up at easy pace for 20 min, Run 20 to 30 min at tempo pace, cool down for 10 min at easy pace. If you want you can break up the tempo portion into intervals such as 5 x 6 min at tempo pace with 1 min recovery between each. If you are using a HRM you should be between 85 to 92% max heartrate during the tempo portions. It is supposed to be hard, but sustainable.

Add another day of easy run if you can.

Do around 6 to 10 strides at the end of 2 runs a week. Over around 100 meters accelerate to sprint in the first 50 meters and then cruise to the end. Run in control and not so fast that you lose control. Recover as much as you want between each one. The objective is to increase leg speed and stride length without a full blown speed workout.

Do not speed up your easy runs and long runs. That would be counterproductive. They should be run between 70 to 80% max heartrate. If you have to go slow to stay in that range you will still get more benefit that you will by running them too hard.

This, and if you can, add another day of easy running in your week. It's counter-intuitive, but the more easy running you do, the faster you will become.
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    I currently do 2-3 short (3-4miles) runs and one long (8-10miles) a week.
    More miles. That's the easiest way to improve your times. It works for me.
  • LeenaRuns
    LeenaRuns Posts: 1,309 Member
    I currently do 2-3 short (3-4miles) runs and one long (8-10miles) a week.
    More miles. That's the easiest way to improve your times. It works for me.

I agree--keep up the distance runs once a week, but add in some speedwork in the form or metered intervals or fartleks whatever works for you).
  • ukgirly01
    I'm sure running practice is brill for getting faster however there's no doubt strength work helps, Mo Farah only became really successful after adding an S&C program to his schedule.
  • CarsonRuns
    I'm sure running practice is brill for getting faster however there's no doubt strength work helps, Mo Farah only became really successful after adding an S&C program to his schedule.

While I don't doubt that strength training helps, there is no substitute for mileage, mileage and more mileage. Mo was world class and running high mileage before adding the S&C program. Most runners and coaches will tell you that the objective of a S&C program for running is to help them to stay healthy so that they can run more miles more consistently because it has been proven over time that that is how you get faster.
  • ukgirly01

While I don't doubt that strength training helps, there is no substitute for mileage, mileage and more mileage. Mo was world class and running high mileage before adding the S&C program. Most runners and coaches will tell you that the objective of a S&C program for running is to help them to stay healthy so that they can run more miles more consistently because it has been proven over time that that is how you get faster.

I'm not knocking the mileage at all- nor do I imagine that s&c work would knock 6mins off most people time- I was particularly slow! And I did start s&c to prevent injury (IT band problems) but it did undoubtedly make me faster, I'm currently ramping up my mileage to add to that. No reason why everyone can't train like an athlete no matter what level!
  • CarsonRuns

I'm not knocking the mileage at all- nor do I imagine that s&c work would knock 6mins off most people time- I was particularly slow! And I did start s&c to prevent injury (IT band problems) but it did undoubtedly make me faster, I'm currently ramping up my mileage to add to that. No reason why everyone can't train like an athlete no matter what level!

Oh, I agree. I just want to make sure that there isn't a misconception to everyone that reads this thread that this is an either or proposition. That one can chose between S&C or running more mileage to get faster. The time proven method is to run more with S&C being an important compliment to that.
  • TheBrolympus
    TheBrolympus Posts: 586 Member

This is a pretty good description: http://www.runquick.com/corcorn/strides.html
    Thanks! I did some strides after my easy run this morning. WOW, my legs are sore now. :) That just means I'm getting faster, right. :)
  • Saree1902
    Many thanks for all the tips. :flowerforyou:

I did my 10km in 59:50, which is less than an hour so goal accomplished. :bigsmile:

Training was 2 3-4miles, a 10minute treadmill Sprint session and 7-8miles at the weekend.

Next stop: New half-marathon PB (current is 2:13) :smile:
  • mmk137
    mmk137 Posts: 833 Member

I did my 10km in 59:50, which is less than an hour so goal accomplished. :bigsmile:

Training was 2 3-4miles, a 10minute treadmill Sprint session and 7-8miles at the weekend.

That's excellent to here. Well done!

So you going to aim at a sub 2h half?
  • Saree1902

That's excellent to here. Well done!

So you going to aim at a sub 2h half?

That is my absolute ultimate goal...next half is 15th September so I'm not sure I can push for it by then. Knocking 13 minutes off seems a heck of a lot!
    Will try for 2h 9 this time, which will involve me running at just below 10minute miles, which seems rather daunting for a HM, when I've only just escaped the 10.5-11minute miles for that distance...
  • barrpc
    barrpc Posts: 96 Member
    Last year was the first year that I did serious speed work (interval training). I did it in the off season (summer) because in Houston it gets too hot to really do any races. But it made a total difference when Fall came around. I won a 1AG at a 5K in Sept, and I also took 23 minutes off of my Houston Marathon PR. Everything I ran was faster than I thought I would ever get. I only run 3 times a week...1 speed work day, one tempo run and one long that increases in the last 4 months 3 weeks before the marrathon. But that worked for me, I know other people my age that swear by more runs each week, around 36 to 40 miles a week. I think my longest run week has been 30 milesduring Marathon training and only about 15 or 16 during 10k training events. You just got to experiment and see what is going to work for you. Check out some of Hal Higdon's free training plans online. I used his but modified them for my 3 day training schedule.
  • dorianaldyn
    dorianaldyn Posts: 611 Member
    All the people that said running more will improve your time on shorter runs - listen to them! Before I began marathon training, my fastest half marathon (in an organized race) was somewhere around ~2:19. I incorporated an organized half marathon into my marathon training and I ran it in ~1:53. I knocked off a ton of time simply by ramping up my running in conjunction with my marathon training.

Great job making your sub-1 hour 10K goal, btw! I did my first organized 10K this last weekend, and I found it interesting... even though a half marathon is more than twice as long, I'd say for me, it's only about 25% harder to run a Half vs. 10K race. But, comparing a marathon to a half marathon - I'd say a marathon is more than twice as hard as a half. Funny how that works... Even though I've run 10K more times than I can count, I found that to be quite a challenging race distance!
  • smiffy645
    smiffy645 Posts: 167 Member

i think my advice would be to join a running club and use the training structure there to help you. I joined one last year and it has transformed my running,
  • ATT949
    ATT949 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Hi all,

My next shorter race is a 10km on 23rd June, and I'd really like to break the 60minute barrier! Last year, I managed 61 minutes, which was really hard work. Not helped by the last 1-1.5miles being a steep uphill! :noway:

I'm usually a half-marathon runner and my pace is slowly creeping from 10.5minute miles to 10minute miles. I currently do 2-3 short (3-4miles) runs and one long (8-10miles) a week, as I usually have a HM looming. However, the next one is not until September.

Is it worth keeping my long runs high(ish)-mileage, or would shorter and faster be the way to go for my 'main (weekend) run'?

All information/tips gratefully received! :flowerforyou:

Lots of good advice here but one ingredient that's missing is getting a training plan. There are lots of free training plans and you can also buy a training plan. And there are books, too.

I'm reading McMillans "You, only faster" and it's definitely worth the $20 or so. In addition to detailed training plans for 5k, 10k, half, and full marathons (with different plans for running 2-3 day, 4-5 days, and 6-7 days per week), the book explains why you're running the different runs and then steps you through the process of adjusting your training plan to suit your particular needs.

I started with a Runner's World free plan and switch to the half plan, 4-5 days per week. It's nice to have a variety of runs planned, especially compared to the Runner's World plan which was very routine.

Congrats on your progress, BTW!
  • ATT949
    ATT949 Posts: 1,245 Member
    You might want to check this out - it was in an email from McMillan this morning.

http://www.mcmillanrunning.com/articlePages/article/39