Plantar fasciitus flair ups during cardio workouts

Options
Terry903
Terry903 Posts: 43 Member
Does anyone know how to relieve plantar fasciitus flair ups from occurring during a cardio workout?

Replies

• 13tea
    13tea Posts: 55
    Options
    Try a hot shower followed by a deep message.
  • nanadouglas
    nanadouglas Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Be sure to stretch feet before exercise. Also, be sure shoes have good arch support. Good stretches afterwards helps. Also, freeze a water bottle and roll your foot over it.
  • 13tea
    13tea Posts: 55
    Options
    There are plantar fasciitis inserts available. Speak to a podiatrist or physical therapist.
  • Terry903
    Options
    Good advice. Shoes these days just aren't made right for me. I have a high arch. Thank you!
  • wanttolose62
    Options
    Don't wait to long before getting the arch supports as well as using the ice in a bottle. Both help some, but if it doesn't relieve the pain at all, see a podiatrist. The longer you wait, the more damage can occur. I waited too long and had to have surgery on both feet.
  • Terry903
    Options
    Oh no! Thank you! Will see doctor if new shoes don't fix it. I plan to buy some nice shoes for work in August. I really think part of the trouble is cheap shoes I use at work. I wear my nice running shoes when not at work and it seems to have helped with the problem. I also started taking glucosamine and I think that is helping my feet and several other problems I was having. Lucky me, I already have a good foot DR because several years ago I broke my foot.
  • jcspx
    jcspx Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Good luck with your plantar fasciitus! I'm being treated for the same condition. On Apr 1, I decided to get serious about walking - walked 5-6 days/week, 30-35 minutes each day for 3 weeks, but noticed the pain, especially when I first awoke. Saw a podiatrist, who first thought it was achilles tendonitis but he sent me to a physical therapist who is convinced it's really plantar fasciitus. Saw her last week & she gave me some exercises to do at least twice daily (towel stretch, calf stretch using a wall, towel scrunching with the toes & towel sweeping), plus I'm starting PT twice/week & she'll re-evaluate in a month. Therapist said I tried to do too much too quickly when I first started walking seriously in April; she said I can still walk, but go easier & she suggested biking or swimming as a better alternative. I've been doing her recommended exercises for only 5 days, but it seems a little less painful when I first wake, so hopefully they will help!
  • operator646
    operator646 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I have a long history of plantar fasciitus and it can really stop you in your tracks. My Podiatrist has told me to always wear . Birkenstocks in the house. It took me awhile to get used to them, but my feel are in heaven.. I still wear my orthotics, but I have no pain in my feet. Also, I never stopped doing my stretches in the morning even when I am having no symptoms . Birkenstocks can be expensive but they have a less expensive line Betula that I usually buy.