Brownies

Options
mommamuscles
mommamuscles Posts: 584 Member
I came across this while reading IE and thought it was very fitting, especially coming off of this holiday weekend.

“Here’s a favorite story that illustrates this principle. Let’s say that you are a dieter who has been carefully following your diet for several weeks. Your diet is low-fat and prohibits any kind of sugary, fatty desserts. You decide that you’re going to visit your grandmother, whom you haven’t seen for a while. You walk into Grandma’s house and the first thing that strikes you is the enticing aroma of chocolate brownies hot out of the oven.
Here are the food beliefs and thoughts that might fill your head:

• I’ve been so good on my diet the last few weeks.
• I haven’t had any ice cream or candy or cookies.
• I’d sure love to have one of those brownies, but I can’t—I shouldn’t—I won’t!
• If I have a brownie, I’ll blow my diet.
• I won’t be able to stop eating the brownies.
• Oh, maybe just one will be okay.

You eat the brownie.

“Oh, no—I shouldn’t have done that.
• That was really stupid.
• I have no willpower.
• I’m going to be out of control.
• It’s all my fault that I’m fat.
• Will I ever be able to lose weight?

Now, let’s sense what you are feeling:

• Disappointment
• Fear of future deprivation
• Sadness
• Fear of being out of control
• Despair

Typical eating behavior that follows will be something like this:

• You slowly take a second brownie,
• . . . and a third brownie.
• Before you know it, you’ve gobbled up the whole plateful.
• You collapse on the couch, stuffed and miserable, and fall right to sleep.

Now, let’s see how challenging and then changing your basic food beliefs can change your feelings and your behavior. The beliefs and thoughts:

• I’m so glad I gave up dieting.
• I can eat anything I want, any time I want.
• I’d sure love to have one of those brownies.

“You eat the brownie.

• Boy, was that delicious.
• I’m satisfied with just this one.
• There’s nothing like Grandma’s home-baked chocolate brownies.

And now the feelings:

• Satisfaction
• Pleasure
• Contentment (no worry about future deprivation)

And the behavior:

• You leave the rest of the brownies on the plate.
• You put the plate of brownies on the kitchen counter.
• You’re free to enjoy the afternoon with Grandma without another thought about the brownie.”

Excerpt From: Evelyn Tribole & Elyse Resch. “Intuitive Eating, 2nd Edition.” St. Martin’s Press. iBooks.
This material may be protected by copyright.

I'm sure many of us attended celebrations this weekend that involved food. Food is a part of many of our celebrations, and I don't think that's a bad thing! It should be enjoyed. As for me, we had a huge Mother's Day spread and I made ice cream pies for dessert that were to die for! My kids made me cake pops in their Sunday school classes. They would have been absolutely heartbroken if I would have turned them down! There was a time, sadly when I would have. I enjoyed all the food. I will say, objectively, that I overdid it on the ice cream pies and sugary treats in general this weekend and I am not enjoying the way I feel. TOM has been brutal this month with the cravings! Ugh.
I've thought about a few days back to logging for a few days now just to get myself back on track. I don't feel like I'm getting back on a diet. I just want to eat more protein, fruits,and veggies. I want to make sure I'm getting enough. Such a different mentality than counting calories with an intention to restrict. I am feeling slightly like I allowed myself to eat in an out of control manner this weekend and I'm not super happy about that.
Why? Maybe because I'm finding myself more stressed about the scale with my powerlifting meet coming up next week. I am pretty close to having to move up to the next weight class, which I'm not super thrilled about. It is what it is though! I am going to go and have fun, regardless!!!!
How are you all doing? Where do you fit into this brownie scenario?

Replies

• kkzmom11
    kkzmom11 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I just LOVE this story. it sounds exactly like me. When I would visit my Nana (grandmother), i did more intuitive eating because I hardly got to see her and loved her home cooked food. I don't do this with my mother, since she is the one always harping on my weight and appearance. so, I am learning to listen to my body, and when i am satisfied, i am doing much better about leaving the rest of the food. granted i have a ways to go to be where i want to, but i am heading in the right direction. it's a good thing i am not a HUGE fan of brownies. LOL