Losing weight but also losing milk....

fallsj93
fallsj93 Posts: 8 Member
Ive been working out and making healthier food choices for about a month now. In the past week or so I have noticed a drop in my supply. My son is 6 months old, he gets 1 serving of solids a day and one bottle of formula a day. He nurses first thing in the morning, when we arrive home in the afternoon, before bed, and a couple of times during the night. He also gets about 4 bottles of breast milk while he is with his babysitter. Normally, I would be able to pump about 15-20oz a day for his babysitter. However this past week I was only about to do about 9-12oz a day. Any suggestions on how to increase my supply? Ive been increasing my fluid intake and drinking Nursing tea.

Replies

• juliehuestis
    juliehuestis Posts: 24 Member
    How many calories are you eating? Do you eat back your exercise calories spent? How much liquid are you drinking daily?
  • fallsj93
    Cals are @ 1900 a day,n how late i get my workout in determines if I eat back my cals. On a good day my fluid intake is about 96oz.
  • juliehuestis
    juliehuestis Posts: 24 Member
    Hmmm.... Not sure why. I eat about 1900-2000 & drink approx 100-105oz per day. I've not had a decrease in supply. Sorry I couldn't help, hopefully someone has answers for you!
  • kattangel07
    kattangel07 Posts: 4 Member
    If your baby is eating less right now (ie just finished a growth spurt) you will start producing less, just like during a growth spurt you will produce more. You can increase the number of feedings to increase your supply, or increase the number of times you pump. It may take a few days, but you should see an increase in your supply again.
  • fallsj93
    Thanks for the input ladies, Im going to try out a few things for the next week or so and see how it goes. Hopefully, things will return to normal by then. I love BF and really want to make it another 6 months.
  • ks4e
    ks4e Posts: 374 Member
    Are you stressed? My supply drops when I'm stressed. Also, when eating healthy, make sure you are also having plenty of protein. Protein and healthy fats are vital for a good bfing supply. The nursing tea will help, but I never got an increase the next day. It usually took about a week for me. Perhaps try some lactation cookies in the morning or oatmeal?