Can't decide... wear water belt or not?

Options
dorianaldyn
dorianaldyn Posts: 611 Member
I've got my first attempt at a full on Sunday and I just can't decide if I want to bring my water belt. I bring it on my long training runs because there are obviously no handy volunteers along the way just waiting for me to run by to hand me some water. I completed a half marathon in April (incidentally, that course happens to be the second half of Sunday's marathon), and I did not bring my water belt and I was fine. It would be so nice to not have that strapped to me for 26 miles, but then I worry... I think it's functioning as a security blanket. Maybe I'll just bring it and only wear it if it looks like it's going to be pretty hot/sunny...

Replies

• wanabefitter
    Options
    i ran the virgin london marathon without a water belt, plenty of water on route. that said, i did run with a smaller belt, for phone, money and jelly beans!

you wont need it for water if the event is well managed

good luck and have fun, its worth the effort
  • Culley34
    Culley34 Posts: 224
    Options
    You shouldn't need to bring a belt with you.
  • DavidMartinez2
    DavidMartinez2 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    Check the website for your race and find out how much aid will be available on course and decide based on that if you need the belt or not. I almost never wear my fuel belt for road races.
  • redredy9
    redredy9 Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    Check the website for your race and find out how much aid will be available on course and decide based on that if you need the belt or not. I almost never wear my fuel belt for road races.

^^^ This

My first marathon was a small (@2000 runner) race held on an unseasonably warm November day and the aid stations were too far apart and not always exactly where they were supposed to be. My friends and I were dying and so thirsty by the end that we were tempted to accept cans of beer offered by some cheering spectators and I hate beer! So definately check the course map. If the aid stations are more than a mile apart I sugest taking some water with you or asking friends/family to provide you with water along the route.
  • dorianaldyn
    Options
    There should be water every two miles - that should be plenty. However, this is only the second running of this race. There are apparently about ~500 of us doing the full marathon - so I do have a little trepidation about them being well stocked at the water stations given the short history of the event. I did what internet sleuthing I could and only found positive feedback - so it looks like unless the forecast calls for crazy heat, I'll leave the bulky water belt at home :-).
  • MartinaNYC
    MartinaNYC Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Do you just drink water during your long runs? If so, I believe you won't need to bring a belt with you since there should be plenty along the route. If you do however drink Gatorade or another sport drink, I'd call the race organizers and see what kind of sport drinks will be available. If it is something that you never tried before or that doesn't agree with your stomach, then I'd consider bringing a belt.
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    I don't really need mine but I'll probably wear mine for this half. I want the option to skip a water stop if it's busy plus I keep my phone and a couple energy shots in it.
  • DavidMartinez2
    Options
    What race is it? I can poke around the MM website for you for more info.
  • WhataBroad
    WhataBroad Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    i ran the virgin london marathon without a water belt, plenty of water on route. that said, i did run with a smaller belt, for phone, money and jelly beans!

you wont need it for water if the event is well managed

good luck and have fun, its worth the effort

jelly beans? is this what you use in place of the fancy gels?
  • dorianaldyn
    Options
    What race is it? I can poke around the MM website for you for more info.

It's the Surfer's Path Marathon (Santa Cruz, CA) - I found this info on the aid stations - seems like plenty:

Approximate Aid Station Locations and product:
    Mile 1.5: Water & Clif Shot Electrolyte
    Mile 3.8: Water & Clif Shot Electrolyte
    Mile 5.5: Water, Clif Shot Gel, & Clif Shot Electrolyte
    Mile 7.3: Water, Clif Shot Gel & Clif Shot Electrolyte
    Mile 8.7: Water & Clif Shot Electrolyte
    Mile 11.6: Water & Clif Shot Electrolyte
    Mile 13.1: Capitola Half & Relay Finish Line Food & Beverages
    Mile 13.3: Water & Clif Shot Electrolyte
    Mile 14.8: Water, Bananas & Clif Shot Electrolyte
    Mile 16.5: Water, Clif Shot Gel & Clif Shot Electrolyte
    Mile 18.8: Water & Clif Shot Electrolyte
    Mile: 21.5: Water & Clif Shot Electrolyte
    Mile 22.8: Water, Clif Shot Gel & Clif Shot Electrolyte
    Mile 24.4: Water, Bananas & Clif Shot Electrolyte
    Mile 26: Water & Clif Shot Electrolyte
    Mile 26.2: Surferʼs Path Marathon Finish Line Food & Beverages

For fuel, I've found that the sports beans work best for me. It's hard for me to eat anything while I'm running and the sport beans are about all I can handle. I know I absolutely must fuel, so I plan to bring those with me, tucked away somewhere!
  • pobalita
    pobalita Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    Just peeking in on this thread for the same advice.

Wishing you success. :)
  • ATT949
    ATT949 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    I've got my first attempt at a full on Sunday and I just can't decide if I want to bring my water belt. I bring it on my long training runs because there are obviously no handy volunteers along the way just waiting for me to run by to hand me some water. I completed a half marathon in April (incidentally, that course happens to be the second half of Sunday's marathon), and I did not bring my water belt and I was fine. It would be so nice to not have that strapped to me for 26 miles, but then I worry... I think it's functioning as a security blanket. Maybe I'll just bring it and only wear it if it looks like it's going to be pretty hot/sunny...

I've used a Nathan water belt for my half marathons and I'm an advocate of "bringing your own".

The downside is that it that each pound of "excess weight" costs 2 seconds per mile. The belt, with bottles empty, weighs 11.5 OZ ≈ 0.75 pounds which costs me 1.5 seconds per mile or about 20 seconds for a half or 40 for the full.

The upsides - I have water when I want it (you should be drinking to thirst, not when someone's decided that "Heh, let's put a water stop here."), with the ingredients I want, and I do not slow down at water stops. In the half I ran in February, I had serious cramping that forced me to stop three times (I was injured and undertrained!) so I was able to sip water while massaging my calf because I had water on board.

I also have a Nathan water backpack (CW told me to ditch the Nathan bladder and replace it with a Camelback bladder) which I would probably use for a marathon. Again, it's the ability to function independently that I would probably find to be of value. The backpack, without reservoir, is 12.85 OZ (360 g) so it's a little more "expensive" in terms of performance but I'm willing to accept a small decrease in performance for the significant benefit of having a large supply of water/energy gel available whenever my body needs it.
  • DavidMartinez2
    Options
    For fuel, I've found that the sports beans work best for me. It's hard for me to eat anything while I'm running and the sport beans are about all I can handle. I know I absolutely must fuel, so I plan to bring those with me, tucked away somewhere!

Fuel is always the tricky part for me too. A lot of the races have stuff available but usually it is not stuff I can eat while I am running (or want to). I usually end up bringing my own gel because I despise GU and I don't want to get caught without something if all they have is nasty.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    WIth a water stop every two miles there is no reason that you have to carry a water belt. Drinking more than a cup every two miles is too much water anyway.
  • KeithAngilly
    KeithAngilly Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    It seems to me that it depends on the goal...are you racing or finishing? If you are racing, then it is probably worth developing the skill of fueling using what's available. I plan on carrying GU (too funny David, I actually really enjoy Gu, especially the chocolate ones!) and using the provided water for my first half in October. So, I have been practicing this during my training (carrying my own water, of course). If the idea is to run and finish, then taking whatever will make you comfortable seems like a good bet. I plan to race very infrequently (2 to 4 times a year), so on race day, I want to carry as little as possible.
  • PeteWhoLikesToRunAlot
    PeteWhoLikesToRunAlot Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    If you've trained with it for your long runs up until now, with only a week to go, I'd say bring it for the "security blanket" reason, if nothing else. I'd also say if you're feeling decent ~halfway into the race, maybe drop it - though most likely you won't be able to find it after the race if it was expensive and you don't want to lose it.

My perspective is that I got sick of carrying a Camelback on my 6+ mile runs, so I started hydrating a lot more than I had previously, and gradually started leaving it at home until I was sure I didn't need it. I do still bring some kind of hard candy or gum or something to keep my mouth from drying out, but it beats carrying a bottle of water that I always felt I needed, but got annoyed with.

Best of luck in your full! I'm sure you'll do great!
  • wassergottin
    wassergottin Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I wear a water belt for my phone, chapstick, and to keep an emergency snack in. I don't drink water during my runs, as studies have shown a correlation between the increase in drinking water during runs with an increase in deaths due to hyponatremia. This is just a personal stance, though.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    ...studies have shown a correlation between the increase in drinking water during runs with an increase in deaths due to hyponatremia.

While this is true, it's important to understand at what level of hydration this occurs. Years ago, the recommendation was to "drink as much as you can" during a long race. Some recommendations were as high as 24 ounces per hour. It's in these cases that the deaths have occurred as the victims were back of the pack marathoners (5 hours+) who drank at that rate and were perspiring little. The recommendation has recently been changed (in the last 10 years) to "drink to thirst" which if followed, should not put anyone in danger of Hyponatremia. There is also very strong evidence that no to little hydration is necessary for those under the 4 hour mark, assuming that the temperatures are terribly high. The human body is designed to dehydrate itself during periods of work, and then to replenish itself after. Studies over the last 100 years have shown that the most dehydrated athletes are those that finish at the front of the field. Some losing 7% to 10% of body weight in water, with no ill effects on performance or post race activities. The human body is an amazing machine, designed to keep itself in a constant state of homeostasis. It takes a real act of deliberation or negligence to knock it out of balance.
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    That is a lot of water stops. I would probably skip most of them anyway. I am good for 2 hours without a drink. It seems water stops are an excuse for me to walk a bit anyway.
  • geerunz
    geerunz Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I used to never carry water for marathons. I accidently started a race (half) with a bottle and it was the best "mistake" I've ever made. It gave me the freedom to stop if I wanted or not and also to only need gatorade. I've swithced from a handheld to an Ifitness hydration system and I love it. This belt has two 8oz bottles so you can do water in one, gatorade or whatever in the other. If you need more water/gatorade on course they are easy to refill and volunteers are usually very willing.

Recently I did a half that was very poorly managed. They had only 5 water stops and one was completely unmanned, and another was out of cups. Believe me, I was very thankful for having my own when I saw runners dipping bottles in a five gallon bucket!