Portion sizes questions..

Options
I have 2 questions if anyone can help me out...
1. I'm a vegetarian so other than phase 2, I'll be eating beans and lentils for my protein. Since beans have a lot of carbohydrates...would I still eat 3 cups of grains (breakfast, lunch, and dinner) for phase 1 and 1/2 cup of beans for lunch and another 1/2 cup of beans for dinner? It seems like a lot of carbs.
2. It states in the book that a serving of fruit is 1 cup or 1 fruit, since fruits like apples and pears come in different sizes, should I chop up the fruit and measure it to a cup?

Replies

• michellyn
    michellyn Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure on the vegetarian question. My understanding is that beans are not allowed on P2, but vegetarians only may have tofu or tempeh on that phase.

Fruit is 1 cup per portion, except what comes in a whole fruit. So for apples, it's 1 apple (or 1 1/2, if you're on 1.5 portions), but for raspberries, it's 1 1/2 cups of them. Does that make sense?
  • jshein29
    jshein29 Posts: 2
    Options
    I am going to be starting the diet on Monday - I am a little confused about the portions as well. How do you know what equals a portion? If you make one of the recipes in the book and it says it makes 4 servings (I want to lose 30-40 lbs) I would eat 1 1/2 to 2 of those servings right? But what if I make my own recipe with chicken? What about other foods? I did not see this in the book. I also did not finish reading and skipped around a little, so I may have missed this.

Glad I found this board!
  • epie2098
    epie2098 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Phase 1 is meant to be higher in carbs than the other phases. It's about soothing the adrenals and convincing them that there's plenty of food and they can digest it. Don't worry about it.

I've been measuring out berries, cherries, and frozen mango in 1 cup, but I've been having just one whole apple (even though it's a bit shy of a cup once cut up) because that's the easiest way to go.

With regards to the recipes, I've just been 'assembling' foods - I've cooked grains separately, and measured those onto the plate. Then I measure the protein, and just pile on the veggies. I've done a lot of veggie-broth 'stirfries', and pasta-sauce type dishes for the veggies. The recipes are a bit confusing if you're going for 1.5 portions and maybe double veggies.