I think it's time...

Options
TeachTheGirl
TeachTheGirl Posts: 2,091 Member
How long did your little one nurse?

I'm reluctant to stop, but at 17 months it looks like my daughter is self-weaning. I had two nights away from her this weekend and today when she tried to nurse, there's very little left to satisfy her. I'm wondering if it's worth trying to get my supply going again or just let nature take its course.

I guess maybe I'm just mourning my bonding with her, but I'm conflicted. :<

Replies

• Putcake
    Putcake Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    We nursed until my son was about 4 1/2 months - he got teeth and didn't understand that biting mommy was not allowed. I pumped until he was 8 months.

By the end, it was a love-hate relationship with the pump. I wasn't producing much and it was a relief to stop. But then I also missed it. He will be 2 next month, and I still wish I had been able to nurse longer.

When we have #2, I will absolutely try again - maybe I'll get a baby with better manners :smile: I'm hoping next time I can nurse longer. Now that I have the hang of it, I think it won't be so intimidating for me.
  • TeachTheGirl
    Options
    She gets so mad at me now. She's known the sign for milk since a young age and she keeps coming up and signing and then shaking her head when I offer her a cup of milk or a cuddle. Tantrums are brewing on the surface. I know it's only temporary and that she'll quickly forget about nursing, but I feel so strange! It's been part of my routine for so long, I feel kind of lost without it.

I think it's also that I have to admit she's not a baby anymore. Eesh.
  • kattangel07
    kattangel07 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    My son self weaned himself almost completely at 13 months so I had a very decreased supply and then a tooth came in. Because he was in so much pain every time I held him he tried to nurse. It really helped to have someone else hold him when he wanted to nurse. After about a week we were good (except for the one night about three days in when he was crying horribly and I became completely engorged and nursed him).

It gets easier, but yeah, it sucks to give up that bonding and the feeling that you are doing something for your child that no one else can do.
  • TeachTheGirl
    Options
    Quick update, we're doing GREAT.

She still signs on occasion and latched on the other morning when we were waking up (my fault for going to bed without a shirt on, d'oh) but otherwise she accepts the cup instead and just wants cuddles for comfort.

I had expected more swelling/engorgement, but got none. Also didn't have a hormonal shift like I expected.

Should I consider myself lucky?
  • spunkychelsea
    spunkychelsea Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    My son was 13.5 months when he self weaned, I had decreased supply (was 4 months preg with #2) and got annoyed at that for a while then decided it wasn't worth it I guess. I cried like a crazy and gained 5 lbs, but I guess that was the worst of it. I'm glad he was ok with it. Good on you for sticking it out so long! I've known many moms who push the weaning at a year. Congrats that your child did so well being offered milk instead.
  • TaraRyaz
    TaraRyaz Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    My daughter is 16 months old and I'm starting the weaning journey. It's been really hard so far. I am so used to offering it to her whenever she is in distress! And I have not made boundaries which was a mistake. I would let her nurse whenever, wherever, for a few seconds or an hour.