Unlurking as I prepare to begin but have a question

Options
sherrirb
sherrirb Posts: 1,714 Member
Hi everyone. I've been lurking in the shadows here for a few weeks. When I found this group I was just about to start moving and didn't plan on starting SL until after we finished moving and settled in so I didn't want to get too involved in the threads. Also, just wanted to take time to read the stickies and finally got my hands on a copy of Starting Strength and I'm just starting to read that too.

Little background - I've been on MFP for over a year. Did great the first 5 months last year but then I ended up having to have surgery, couldnt workout for 4 weeks and then never really got back into the swing of things and have not seen any significant loss in about a year now.

I've wanted to start a lifting program and read NROLFW but that program seems a bit confusing and a bit more involved then it needs to be for a beginner program. I've read and heard so many good things about SL and I'm ready to get going.

We are almost completely moved and I am ready to begin once we get our weights moved over - they are the last thing we are going to move I guess. But I do not have a squat rack.

I saw on the forums where a woman had her husband build her a squat rack out of 2x4s and such and I've been trying desperately to get my husband to build me one too! LOL

Anyways, I think we've come up with a concept that might be almost as good. We have a very large garage and the weights will go out there (no basement). I've asked my husband if he could put racks up on the garage wall that would be strong enough to hold a barbell with weights that goes up to about 200-250lbs. He said that wouldnt be a problem.

So here is my question. How far away from the wall would the bar have to be to make this doable? I'm thinking 1.5 to 2 feet should be adequate, right? Do you think this concept would work?

Replies