**WEEK 5 DAY 25

Options
33 One day some people said to Jesus, “John the Baptist’s disciples fast and pray regularly, and so do the disciples of the Pharisees. Why are your disciples always eating and drinking?”

34 Jesus responded, “Do wedding guests fast while celebrating with the groom? Of course not. 35 But someday the groom will be taken away from them, and then they will fast.”

36 Then Jesus gave them this illustration: “No one tears a piece of cloth from a new garment and uses it to patch an old garment. For then the new garment would be ruined, and the new patch wouldn’t even match the old garment.

37 “And no one puts new wine into old wineskins. For the new wine would burst the wineskins, spilling the wine and ruining the skins. 38 New wine must be stored in new wineskins. 39 But no one who drinks the old wine seems to want the new wine. ‘The old is just fine,’ they say.”

Replies

• MrsLarCat
    MrsLarCat Posts: 118
    Options
    Dear Lord,
    Please help me to do away with the old and accept the new. Help cultivate the new. Watch over me. In Jesus Name, Amen.
  • kimbershep
    kimbershep Posts: 72
    Options
    LUKE 5:33-39

OBSERVATION
    Because the Pharisees could not comprehend that Jesus wasn't "just" a man trying to out-do them, everything Jesus said and did went over their heads. They took it as a threat. Ha! How envious were they! Nevertheless, they were yet looking for something else to use to discredit Jesus, his teaching and his followers. They pointed out that his disciples were not fasting as theirs and others but they were feasting. Jesus tried to explain that when you're at a wedding and celebrating with the groom (Jesus), you don't come fasting because of course there will be food to eat. When the groom (Jesus) is gone then fasting will take place. Again, that went over their heads.

In studying this verse, I wanted to point out something that I read which gave further understanding of what Jesus next illustration meant: "wineskins were goatskins sewn together at the edges to form watertight bags. Because new wine expands as it ages, it had to be put in new, pliable wineskins. A used skin, having come more rigid, would burst and spill the wine.

The Pharisees were just like the old wineskins. They were too rigid. They were trying to keep Jesus in their old wineskin along with their old rules and traditions. Similar things occur like that today in churches. When new ideas come about that would allow people to step out of the box into a whole new way of sharing the Word and building God's temple, many people frown upon it and don't want it in their churches because they already have a way of doing things.....the same way they did it almost a hundred years ago when the church was first built.

Jesus said in Matthew 5:17, "Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them." I'm assuming the Pharisees were too blinded by their own self righteousness to see that Jesus was the one whom the laws and prophecies talked about. This is the same reason why I cannot stand being in a church with their man made rules and regulations. They are setting themselves up to become just like the Pharisees; consumed with following those rules instead of the plan of salvation. The harvest is plenty.....meaning there are plenty of souls that need to be saved instead of a preacher getting up preaching on women only wearing skirts, cannot cut or dye your hair, wearing no make up and such.

APPLICATION
    Have an open mind to new ideas to building and adding on to God's kingdom. I don't care too much for gospel rap however I do know that it brings in a lot of youth. I also know that a lot of people do not like home bible fellowships and feel there should only be church buildings. Well bible fellowships bring in a lot of people as well and not only that but there is less MESS when you don't have to fight for positions or lead song positions :) So, I don't and will not shun new ideas of bringing people in to the kingdom and keeping them in.

PRAYER
    Heavenly Father, thank you for your Son Jesus Christ. Thank you for the way being made straight and plain when He laid down His life for us. Thank you for your Word and for giving me the key to eternal life. I ask that if there is anything in me that you don't like please help me to rid it. Forgive me of my sins and i ask that you would cast it as far as the east is to the west. Help me to be a vital part of the upbuilding of your kingdom. In Jesus Christ name i pray, Amen.