Is it working for you?

kindasortachewy
kindasortachewy Posts: 1,084 Member
I am happily starting Week 2 tomorrow, but I thought I'd ask some of you who are further along, is it working? Week one I could run my 15 second pretty well, I'd say currently I can run a minute before needed a walk break - I just wonder where I'll really be in 8 weeks, it seems crazy to think I'd come that far in such a short amount of time. There is a 5k on July 20th I could sign up for, but its just hard for me to belive I'll be ready that soon

Replies

• FakingFitness
    FakingFitness Posts: 325 Member
    You'll be ready! It really does work. I was doing great, until I hurt my ankle.
    I'm now rehabbing and can't wait to get back to it.

Some people have a thread going in the other zombies forum all in various places of the 5k training app.
    You should stop over there and say hi. :)

Here's a link if you want to read through the thread:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/964861-5k-training-thoughts
  • Shrynkabelle
    Shrynkabelle Posts: 32 Member
    I'm just into Week 2, as well. Think it's too early to tell; I feel like I can run for longer (but probably can't, haha) but I'm really enjoying it, purely for entertainment factor!

I'm really not bothered about being able to run great distances as I'm currently reading about the benefits of HIIT, which is exactly what this stop start jogging is. I began the program just to help tone up my lower half, and yes, this is happening.
  • I'm redoing week three, but I've noticed a difference from when I started. I could barely run for 15 seconds, and was only doing about a mile and a half. NOW, I am doing running intervals of 1 minute and can run more of the free form run when before I couldn't run during the free form at all and I've moved up to going about 2.5 miles. So that is a mile increase in just three weeks.
  • psuhorseshoe
    psuhorseshoe Posts: 29 Member
    I am starting in week 5 this afternoon. I can notice a huge difference. The running intervals where never all the difficult for me, I found the real challenge was in the free form runs. When I started I couldn't finish the free form runs, and could really only run a 3 minutes to a quarter of a mile max. Just this week I was able to run my first consecutive mile (ever!) and was able to jog a full 15 minute free form run. I never thought I would be able to run a mile and I was able to do it three times this week! Feel free to friend me and follow my blog where I records my Zombies 5K progress. Best of luck!
  • autumnrunning
    autumnrunning Posts: 103
    It is working and it's more interesting than other 5k training programs. Loved week 2, I'm starting week 4 today or tomorrow.

Strangely all my longest runs have been the beginnings of new level/week. I run in one direction with the Zombies 5K app, then I also have to get back, so i free-form jog/walk back in my own pace. I must say I have the motivation, energy, i'm not even out of breath, it's just that sometimes my body gives up, my legs start hurting, etc... maybe it's because i'm not trained enough or have to lose more weight.
    Sometimes on rest days i go for walks/slow jogs, just to do something...

in the beginning of a mission i usually jog during the walking part too. But i'm so glad the longer running parts are free-form, there is no way i would last the whole time...
  • It definitely works, and 5K in July seems like a great goal.

My experience - I started Z5K in February. The first run - 15sec was difficult. repeated 15secs almost killed me.

I took over a month to get through the first 2 weeks - I was demotivated and, like you, thought I was on a hiding to nothing. Despite 15secs being hard work, I felt like I wasn't properly running, and what was the point? I thought I looked an idiot, running fro 15 seconds and then walking again. I've got a 5k race at the start of July, and I thought no way would I be ready for that.

But, I pushed through. Started running 3 times per week religiously (excluding a week off where my shins were playing up and I wanted to avoid shin splints).

Today I started week 8 - the final week. Today I managed to run for 20minutes, non-stop, followed by 2 shorter 5min stints. And whilst it wasn't a breeze, it didn't completely kill me. In fact I was thinking to myself that 3 months ago, 20 minutes would have been impossible. But today - it wasn't just not impossible, it was a pleasure.

One thing which I think certainly helped me was to think of the free form runs as just "runs". It was very tempting to think I could just slow down, or stop for a moment as it was a "free form", but I tried my best not to. Sure, some days I had to slow to a walk, but I did my best to push through them as much as possible and not see them as an easy get-out-of-running-this-bit few minutes.

I admit, I am a sample size of 1, but for me the app has not only worked in getting me to a point where I can run comfortably for longer distances, but also has given me the running bug to the point where I've signed up for a series of 4 5k races over the summer (I must be mad!).
  • amtzfamly
    amtzfamly Posts: 12
    When I first started, I could barely do a 3 min run. Now i'm up to 1 hr. But for me, it took longer than the 8 weeks. Simply because i didn't feel I was ready to move on at certain weeks. I think I finally finished it in 10 weeks.:smile:
  • kindasortachewy
    kindasortachewy Posts: 1,084 Member
    Thanks everyone so much, I really appreicate all the input!