Maternity clothes, doing without them?

I am 29 weeks tomorrow and have been wearing my clothes from before my weight loss. They still fit but the pants are getting slightly tight. I just checked and realized that I didn't keep my maternity clothes from before. Have any of you just skipped the maternity clothes ? All I ever needed before were the pants. I am not gaining a lot of weight, but wondering how much bigger I could really get in 10 weeks (will have a c-section at 39 weeks).

Replies

• rosy003
    rosy003 Posts: 251 Member
    I am currently 36 weeks and wearing non-maternity pants and shorts and have 4-5 non-maternity shirts that work fine. It can definitely be done. I also have 2 non-mat. dresses, stretchy knit, that fit well. I love my maternity tank tops though- the cheap racer backs from Target.
  • kellykneppergrundy
    kellykneppergrundy Posts: 234 Member
    I wouldn't be without a pair of maternity jeans, but if they're not your thing you could get by with yoga or drawstring waisted pants. Linen trousers quite often have drawstrings. I also have a few jersey maxi dresses that are non-maternity that will do to the end. Long-line tops and tanks and normal leggings are all great options. I've bought some normal tops in a much bigger size than I normally wear (XL instead of M) and I think they will also last until I'm done. I'm hoping not to be in maternity clothes for 6 months post-baby this time, so I haven't bought a lot!
  • Amandajp79
    Amandajp79 Posts: 165 Member
    I got clothes from friends which is nice, I kinda picked through and found a few things and I'm saving the rest for when the next one of us gets pregnant! One pair of jeans and a couple of shirts. Other then that I MAY have spent 100 bucks on maternity clothes. I mainly wear leggings and/or yoga pants (the kind that can roll up or down are the best and I've gotten them on sale at Kohls for $10). I have also gotten dresses from Ross that are none maternity but fit just fine.his is all included in the $100 spent. I can't really justify spending tons of money on something that I will only wear for a few months. I'm 35 weeks and still fit in the one pair of jeans that fit me in the beginning! :D I have two gift cards for motherhood maternity that I am saving for nursing bras.
  • myfitnessisavirtue
    myfitnessisavirtue Posts: 673 Member
    Kelly, I was thinking the same thing, that this time I won't be wearing maternity clothes for a year after like before!!

I do have some nice yoga pants, although being plus size I feel a bit odd about wearing them out places. I don't have to go to many places though, once school is out for the summer.

You guys reminded me that I have a few dresses and skirts in the back of my closet that I forgot about!! Those just might get me thru :-) Not much of a dress/skirt person but it might feel nice very pregnant in the heat.
  • Andrea3030
    Andrea3030 Posts: 161
    I wear my yoga pants all of the time but with summer coming that is going to be too hot. I didn't want to wear maternity clothes this time because I gave all of mine away! But I sucked it up and bought a few pieces on sale (2 pairs of jeans and 2 pairs of shorts). I also bought 2 maxi dresses and a few shirts.

I am the type that will wear them for at least a couple months after birth so I'm sure ill get my money's worth:/

And there is no way my yoga pants would last through 40 weeks. They band is already starting to get uncomfortable and I'm not 18 weeks tomorrow:(
  • AsellusReborn
    AsellusReborn Posts: 1,112 Member
    I picked up a lot of second hand clothes - 2 pairs of capris, 3 tank tops, 2 shirts, 1 workout top, 1 maternity running skirt (not used, so 35) for less than $100. I .. still have body issues and wearing clothes that were too big exacerbated them. My aunt also bought me a couple tops and my best friend bought me one when we went thrifting last week.
  • RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    I got away with my old, "fat" clothes for a while, but jeans I could not do once I was a couple of weeks into the second tri. I stuck to skirts and dresses, mostly, and around 23-24 weeks I was pretty much completely in maternity clothes. The nice thing about living where I live is that winter clothes aren't really that necessary, so in the fall I got some summer clearance stuff and would throw a cardigan over it. My bigger peacoat worked fine, which is why I held onto it. By the time I outgrew it, it was plenty warm.

If you can get by without buying maternity clothes, then great! However I had a big difference in my belly between week 29 and 39 (where I am today). The rest of me, not so much. In fact, my gains slowed down considerably after week 30, so I'm guessing the rest of me either didn't change or maybe got smaller.

Last time I was pregnant, I started out much heavier, so when I lost a bunch of weight (82 lbs) I sold them as a lot on Craigslist. This time I am keeping my smallest pieces for my SIL, if she wants them, and then will sell the rest as a lot. I don't ask much money for them, but it's nice to get them out of the house and get a little cash. I buy a lot of my son's clothes that way, too, since kids' clothes are expensive, and everything I buy from secondhand stores always smells at least vaguely of cigarette smoke. It's too much work trying to get rid of the smell, so I don't bother anymore. At least on Craigslist I can buy from a non-smoker and not have that issue.

So if you need a few pieces to get you from here to delivery, you can always check out Craigslist!

ETA that I kept my "fat" clothes to work back through as I get back to my old size. Hopefully I won't be wearing maternity clothes for months afterwards like last time!!!
  • led2012
    led2012 Posts: 26 Member
    All of my old pants stopped fitting, so I broke down recently and bought some maternity pants. I was able to get 3 pairs of maternity pants and one pair of maternity shorts for $10 total at the goodwill. I also got a couple of cheap jersey dresses at walmart that I love. I"m not a big dress person either, but the darn things are so comfortable! I also have a couple of draw string scrub pants that I wear around the house. So far I haven't spent more than $50. I hope to keep it that way!
  • ybodwen
    ybodwen Posts: 340 Member
    I am carrying pretty small but I find the waistbands on regular clothes (even if pre-weight loss) really irritate my belly.
    Maybe you can get some crossover type maternity bottoms that you can wear postpartum as well. Or some maxi dresses with empire waists- those are everywhere this season and super comfy.
  • melinga06
    melinga06 Posts: 9
    Has anybody tried belly bands to strech their wardrobe? Are they worth the money?
  • TinaBean007
    TinaBean007 Posts: 273 Member
    Has anybody tried belly bands to strech their wardrobe? Are they worth the money?

I liked them in the very beginning but around 18 w, I switched and never looked back. Maternity clothes are just so much more comfortable and worth buying early on so they can be worn for 6 months.
  • TinaBean007
    TinaBean007 Posts: 273 Member
    I love summer dresses.... I wear them everyday and plan too after baby. Grabbed them on sale at Target, Old Navy and Forever 21 when they are $10 or less. Also couldn't live with out maternity leggings... put them on under the dress for cooler days.
  • igottaworkout
    igottaworkout Posts: 298 Member
    I bought some tube tops from the dollar store which make awesome belly bands letting me wear some non maternity pants easily, they also give some extra support at the bottom of the belly. I also got a couple of maternity jeans at goodwill which I love :) I just need a pair of shorts or a skirt for the summer so I plan to go to goodwill for that again. All my tops are still fitting fine. I only spent $12 on clothes so far and I'm at 30 weeks, I don't think you need a ton of stuff :)
  • mamamc03
    mamamc03 Posts: 1,067 Member
    I have some awesome pants that are polyester/spandex from when I was a 28...now I'm a 22....and pregnant, so they are sooooo comfy!! I did break down and buy some jeans...but the tops aren't fabric anymore...it's like spanx! So they work...but are a bit snug.
    I'm 13w6d.
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,286 Member
    I'm 4 weeks away from delivery and no maternity clothes. I'm also not showing much considering how far along I am. I just push my pants below my belly if they start to bug me and when I'm home I put on my workout pants. for the most part my shirts and tanks have been plenty long enough to accommodate.
  • RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member

I liked them in the very beginning but around 18 w, I switched and never looked back. Maternity clothes are just so much more comfortable and worth buying early on so they can be worn for 6 months.

Agreed! I think maternity clothes are much more comfortable after a certain point, and the belly band I have (and used with my first pregnancy) rolled up all. the. time. I was constantly tugging at it, which got annoying, fast.
  • freckledLeanne
    freckledLeanne Posts: 111 Member
    I love summer dresses.... I wear them everyday and plan too after baby. Grabbed them on sale at Target, Old Navy and Forever 21 when they are $10 or less. Also couldn't live with out maternity leggings... put them on under the dress for cooler days.

THIS! My belly is way too big for my normal clothes. My old pants cut me funny and my shirts are way too short (I still wear things like this around the house or when gardening and my hubby makes fun of my redneck belly poking out the bottom of my t-shirts). Cheap summer dresses are AMAZING. I wear them to work and on weekends; they are so comfortable. They can be belted post-pregnancy to wear for the rest of the summer.
  • AsellusReborn
    AsellusReborn Posts: 1,112 Member
    I -love- my belly bands and last time wore it all through pregnancy. If it's rolling up it's the wrong size (BTDT, haha!). For me it lets me use maternity pants that are also too big, since I was a lot bigger when I had my daughter than I am this time. (only 10lbs heavier but not working out so fluffier if that makes sense? Only 10lbs less prepreg this time but a lot more muscular so more compact) We're broke so being able to wear my maternity jeans and stuff from last time helps. It's not ideal because the clothes are still too big but for going out in public it's better than naked if you can't afford a lot of maternity clothes.