Pain in hip area?

Options
kopmom
kopmom Posts: 491 Member
Once I lowered my weight and started squatting with better form I have been having a non stop pain in my hip area (area where leg meets pelvis). Any idea's what it could be?

Replies

• sarahstrezo
    sarahstrezo Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Hip flexors.
    I had a similar pain in mine. Lots of stretching for them with foam rolling. I had to do it regularly. And...the foam rolling can be quite painful if they are really tight. I just means you need it badly.
  • jstout365
    jstout365 Posts: 1,686 Member
    Options
    Hip flexors.
    I had a similar pain in mine. Lots of stretching for them with foam rolling. I had to do it regularly. And...the foam rolling can be quite painful if they are really tight. I just means you need it badly.

Yep, This.

I also have this and I have to really focus on form using hip drive and the "pulling the floor apart" push with the feet to keep it under control. I have a hard time hitting it with the foam roller and any stretch that brings the thigh up to the chest feels like it is pinching, but stretching and foam rolling is beneficial. Most of the time it is a matter of resting it and not pushing too far with it.
  • kopmom
    Options
    Hip flexors.

Thanks, should I keep squatting still? I have been but with bar only for now just to play it safe
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    You could try low squats instead--they work the posterior chain more.
  • kopmom
    Options

What is a low squat?
  • juliemouse83
    juliemouse83 Posts: 6,663 Member
    Options
    Hip flexors...is that the front or the back? I never took anatomy.:laugh: I am finding my achy part is toward the back and side where I am bendy.
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options

What is a low squat?

Starting Strength describes the low squat in detail. In a nutshell, the bar is resting lower on your back than it would be in a high squat.