Post marathon blues

Options
amandamurdaugh
amandamurdaugh Posts: 138 Member
I'm trying to shake the post marathon blues. I live in AZ, so my season ended in February. I had a fantastic season, reached my goals & then became left with this depression. My goal was a sub 4 hr marathon & I was able to to do 3:45:08 in January. I ran the New Orleans marathon 5 weeks later in 3:41:37. It was bittersweet because I'm 38 & needed 3:40 to qualify for Boston. At the time, I was over the moon with happiness at my accomplishment & the relief of training being over. But it gave way to poor eating & depression. My runs became meanderings through my town. I couldn't bare to set a route, distance or pace. I just forced myself out the door & wandered aimlessly, for fitness. Now I've gained 10 lbs & lost some speed & endurance. I was ok with that & I still am because I had trained so long & so hard, I truly needed a rest. Well, now I'm looking forward again, my next marathon is December 8, 2013. My goal is to qualify for Boston, I'd like 3:39. In order to do that, I need to get my head right again. I would like to lose this 10 lbs, plus another 15. My training starts in August. I guess I'm just looking for like minded people. I'd like to hear of other people's experiences with this post marathon blues phenomenon. I had a horrible season the year before (Jan 2012) & fell into a deep depression then too. I thought it would be different if I reached my goals, but I see now that after such a huge rush, a fall is bound to happen. Please tell me your stories & what you did to allieviate the depression.

Replies

• ZenInTexas
    ZenInTexas Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Well, I haven't run a full yet, only a half but I have to keep constant little goals ahead of me. I like to always be following a training plan, it just gives me something to focus on. So between now and when I run my first marathon I'm working on improving my short race speeds. And I entered a bunch of races so I have goals to work towards. :)
  • DavidMartinez2
    DavidMartinez2 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    I have been avoiding this problem by running monthly marathons since moving to SoCal :P
  • amandamurdaugh
    amandamurdaugh Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I love it!
  • TheBrolympus
    TheBrolympus Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    I don't do full but do halves. Every time I finish one I sign up for another. Keeps me looking forward and keeps me running with a goal. Not sure if they have them in Arizona (since it's a lot hotter there than Texas) but we have several halves during the summer here in North Texas. I am doing the "Hottest Half" in August (hoping not to die).