caught in the rain!

icimani
icimani Posts: 1,454 Member
I rode out to Boston, MA for a short weekend. The weather was supposed to be great and it's a 3-hr ride each way for me so I was really looking forward to it. The Saturday ride started out a little chilly, but it warmed up fairly quickly and it was great.

Sunday though....
I left my niece's house right at 2pm, and it started raining at 2:45. Luckily not a heavy rain that feels like someone's pelting your legs with pebbles, but enough to make it hard to see. And the temp dropped to about 55F so it was a long cold ride home. My whole body is a bit sore from holding on tighter than normal, nerves, and pulling in trying to stay warm. And I was exhausted!

There is good news.
- My new jacket, that I'm finally able to wear since I'm losing weight, worked like a charm and I was totally dry from the waist up. I had put my iPhone in a pocket and it stayed totally dry too.
- It was the first time I've had to pull out the rain cover for my bike backpack and it worked like a charm too. Everything, including my iPad, stayed nice and dry.
- This was the first time I've ridden in the rain with this bike and even on the wet sloppy roads the bike felt rock solid, and I never felt like I was sliding around.

All in all - a good weekend even with the rain!

Replies

• debloves2ride
    debloves2ride Posts: 386
    glad you had a safe trip. hate the kind of rain that "hurts"! Actually hate riding in the rain period, but some is worse than others. We were riding out in colordao, just outside of Pueblo and hit a terrible storm, and the temp dropped to 45. I couldn't get off that bike fast enough. We had planned on doing another 100 miles or so, but just gave up.

glad you are home safe, sound and dry.
  • BikerGirlElaine
    BikerGirlElaine Posts: 1,631 Member
    Sounds like your rain gear held up great! Congrats again on that coat :drinker: