Anyone else pregnant and have PCOS

Options
CrystalWalks
CrystalWalks Posts: 84 Member
I am pregnant with my first I am 11 weeks and 1 day pregnant (fetal age), with a due date of 12/09/2013, I have been married for 13 years with not even a scare of pregnancy until now. In the past I tried clomid and nothing happened. I have been on Metformin 1000mgs twice a day for years but what I really think triggered my ovulation was my weight loss at my heaviest I was 243 and when I conceived I was down to 204. This a miracle to me and my hubby we are both really excited. God has been so good to us.... My obgyn took me off metformin at 8 weeks I was nervous but so far everything seems to be fine and I check my blood sugars quite often, I also have high blood pressure (before pregnancy) but I take labetolol and I check my blood pressure often and my numbers have been perfect! I had an ultrasound at 6 weeks (fetal age) and they saw the yolk sac, baby, and heartbeat, I go back next Tues. for my 12 week work up and I pray everything will be right on track. So to anyone who have pcos and is pregnant or have pcos and has had a successful pregnancy please respond- looking for some postive feed back! Thank you....:smile:

Replies

• kellykneppergrundy
    kellykneppergrundy Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I don't have PCOS. but I did want to say congratulations and I hope everything continues to go well. You guys must be thrilled!
  • gwenneh
    gwenneh Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I am. My first baby was assisted, this one is completely on my own -- having a baby "reset" my hormones so many of the symptoms of PCOS (not all, but many) disappeared.

With PCOS the one thing they watch for is gestational diabetes. Are you still on metformin?
  • CrystalWalks
    Options
    Nope my Obgyn took me off it when I was eight weeks but I do regularly check my blood sugar levels and they seem to be doing great, I go next week for my 12 week prenatal and they will be doing tons of blood work and I am sure they will check my blood sugar levels.... I am nervous, anxious and excited all at the same time, I just want everything to go well....... I hope that my pcos symptoms mostly go away like yours once I give birth, bc I am so hairy - that is one symptom that I hope goes away
  • CrystalWalks
    Options
    Thanks Kelly!!
  • BBeccaJean
    BBeccaJean Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS and am on baby #2. I wouldn't stop taking Metformin! With first baby, I stopped taking it at four months (it's supposed to help prevent miscarriage) and I gained 50 lbs! This pregnancy, I took 500 mg/day and my weight has shot up a lot less...It's safe to use while breastfeeding also (sometimes doctors just recommend staying off it w/out realizing the consequences). Pregnancy usually causes more hair...I get hair on my stomach even...it's pretty gross. It goes away after pregnancy though!
  • CrystalWalks
    Options
    Unfortunely I failed my 1 hour gtt test last week and went in earlier this week for the 3 hour gtt test, I am awaiting test results, So I may have to go back on Metformin, as far as weight gain I have only gained about 2 pounds I am 13 1/2 weeks along, my goal is to gain 1/2 pound a week, I do not want to gain more than 15 to 20 pounds....I hope I passed my 3 hr gtt but if not I may have to go back on metformin, its okay if I do, but I would like to go back on a smaller dose, I was on 2000mgs a daily and I have a lot of abdominal issues and diarehhea, so a 1000mgs would do me just fine:) I can say that this preganacy has been a wild ride, with having BV and taking antibotics then the antibotics causing a yeast infection, and changing my blood pressure pills a couple times, and now they think I am anemic and they are awaiting results on my thyroid level to see if they need to adjust my thyroid meds, and tomorrow I go back to the doc, for an rountine ultrasound of my heart, and to turn in my 24 hour urine sample( which is the worst test I have ever done!) wheewwww this is tiring but it will be worth it to hold my baby in my arms in December.........
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    I'm 11 weeks no US yet scared to death of losing this one. Starting to have hypertension problems and a constant headache. I got pregnant after losing 50lbs 315lbs but lost the baby and pregnant again at about 295lbs. Praying for a sticky, strong baby. I'm still on the meformin and told my NP I wasnt going to go off of it. I dont always feel pregnant which scares me so much. Oh and fiance isnt really excited about this baby, so I'm pretty much on my own.

Wishing us all healthy strong babies.
  • miranda_mom
    miranda_mom Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS. This is my second. Took us a year and a half to conceive this one. The first one was a year. I am taking Metformin and the doctor suggested staying on it at least through the first trimester. Haven't had my first ultrasound yet - that's 7/1 so finger's crossed.
  • vanessam28
    vanessam28 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I HAVE PCOS AND THIS IS MY FIRST PREGNANCY AS WELL CONGRATS TO YOU !!!. BEEN WITH MY HUBBY FOR 10 YRS AND BOOM AFTER 30 LB WEIGHT LOSS PREGO! ... DUE IN SEPTEMBER . FAILED MY FIRST GLUCOSE TEST .. JUST TOOK MY 3HR NO FUN .. BUT I HAVENT RECEIVED A CALL BACK SO IM HOPING THAT MEANS I PASSED IT .. I STOPPED MY METFORMIN RIGHT WHEN I FOUND OUT I WAS PREGNANT DR TOLD ME LOSING WEIGHT CAN PRETY MUCH MAKE PCOS DISAPPEAR SO WHEN BABY IS OUT BACK TO MY WORKOUT PLAN .. AGAIN CONGRATS AND IM SO EXCITED FOR ALL THE PCOS MOMS WHO WERE ABLE TO CONCEIVE WETHER ASSISTED OR NOT ..
    :)
  • CrystalWalks
    Options
    YAY!!! I AM SO EXCITED FOR YOUR VANESSAM, CONGRATS!!! OUR STORIES ARE SIMILIAR I HV BEEN MARRIED FOR 13 YEARS AND AFTER 40 POUNDS WEIGHT LOSS BAM!- I WAS PREGGO, IN THE PAST I TRIED CLOMID AND FAILED, I AM SO GREATFUL AND I AM WISHING YOU A HAPPY HEALTHY AND STRONG BABY!!!
  • miranda_mom
    miranda_mom Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    Would you ladies be interested in a group for women who are pregnant and have PCOS? I was thinking of starting an MFP group. We could support each other through the rest of our pregnancies as well as through the early babyhood phase. What do you think?