Reverse Hooping

Options
jrortega1912
jrortega1912 Posts: 315 Member
My homework is to reverse hoop but I can not figure it out. Does anyone have any pointers?

Replies

• summer8it
    summer8it Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Do you mean hooping in the opposite direction than you usually go? The only trick to it is practice.
  • jrortega1912
    jrortega1912 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Yep, my instructor called it reverse. I'm guessing practicing in the opposite direction balances a body out. I'll keep on trying :smile:
  • pwnderosa
    pwnderosa Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Practice every trick and technique you learn on both sides as much as you can. Also practice direction changes, I love reversing directions so this kind of forces me to try things on both sides, even though I am definitely better overall going to the right, I found there are a few moves I actually do better in the reverse direction.
  • HoolaHoopsMcGee
    HoolaHoopsMcGee Posts: 2,749 Member
    Options
    Yep, my instructor called it reverse. I'm guessing practicing in the opposite direction balances a body out. I'll keep on trying :smile:

The HoopPath calls this "2nd current" and encourages it as much as possible. Once you get comfortable with breaking (stopping the hoop and reversing its direction), you can practice going back and forth quickly at first, then a little longer in 2nd current as you get more comfortable with it. Don't worry though, even after 5 years, it still feels weird and different, but I've definitely achieved a flow with it, and as pwnderosa said, some things are actually better! The practice has helped my overall balance and I've become slightly ambidextrous in many ways as well!