Marathon training question

Options
neurorat
neurorat Posts: 73 Member
I am training for the Columbus Marathon (10/20) using Higdon's Novice 2 plan. He has you running 4 days a week: 2 short runs, a medium run and the long run.

If my marathon training plan is about a)increasing my total weekly milage b) my weekly long run and c) pace runs to increase/build to race pace...

Can I combine my 3 runs during the week into 2 so I can run every other day (ex- 3m-5m-3m into 6m and 5m or 5.5 and 7.5 then long run)?

My greater trochantric bursitis is much happier if I run every other day, but it doesn't seem to mind longer distances or faster paces. Thanks for any thoughts!

Replies

• schmenge55
    schmenge55 Posts: 745 Member
    Options
    My sense is that it would be OK. Does he prescribe pace for those runs? If they are at different paces you might want to adjust that a bit as well. You might also be able to find plans based upon how many days per week you can run and then that plan is adjusted already
  • DavidMartinez2
    DavidMartinez2 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    As long as you can handle the longish runs during the week and still complete your long run on the weekends you will probably be fine.
  • runningcats
    runningcats Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Jeff Galloway has a 3-day training plan ("to finish" for runners and walkers). http://www.jeffgalloway.com/training/marathon.html

Not sure how "novice" you are, but this plan is a 3-day a week plan. I agree with DavidMartinez: as long as you can handle the long runs - you should be fine. For a marathon, it is about the endurance.

I suffered from the same bursitis as you last year. I took 3 full months off (and let me tell you that was the *hardest* thing to do) -- but I haven't suffered since. For me, any running aggravated it more, so taking the time to heal for me was the best solution.
  • neurorat
    neurorat Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I've been running for about 16 months now, and have completed a half marathon so I am not a beginning runner per say, but I have never run over 15 miles, so I am venturing into new territory.

I have had this bursitis since 2007. Its fairly mild now and hasn't flared up in quite a while. I've done everything: rest, cortisone shots, physical therapy. It still hangs around.

I do not feel that with Galloway's plan you get enough weekly milage to do your best in a distance race. I used him for my half marathon and feel that I was not as prepared as I could have been so I am trying to do higher milage this time.
  • WhataBroad
    WhataBroad Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    Hmmm, each of these training runs have a purpose though, how do you plan to pace them? are you going to do any cross training as well?
  • phooey43
    phooey43 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I've never ran less than at least 4 days a week training for a marathon but don't see any reason you couldn't. If I were training 3 days a week I would probably break it down to 1 easy run (half of long run), a training session of either tempo run, or speed repeats, and of course a long run. Gradually building mileage is key in increasing endurance - Good luck!!
  • Zekela
    Zekela Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    I also think since you have been running a while you should be good. However, if your body starts to rebel in the form of joint or muscle pain, probably cut back the miles and build up until your body is ready...
  • kenleyj
    kenleyj Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Any training plan should be molded to you, and not the other way around. You have to do what best suits you and your hip. Always free free to modify a plan to fit you and your needs. If that works for you, then go for it. Consistency is key.