Vacation Quandary

Options

Replies

• jesusHchris
    jesusHchris Posts: 1,405 Member
    Options
    1 - Coworker:

--P

Excellent advice all around. I actually don't know the policy on #1, I will check it out!
  • bregalad5
    bregalad5 Posts: 3,965 Member
    Options
    <- single, LOVES history, travel addict, could use a sunny trip before moving to the arctic...
  • TheKitsune6
    TheKitsune6 Posts: 5,798 Member
    Options
    I'll go, and I'm only six hours away or so :laugh:
  • Prahasaurus
    Prahasaurus Posts: 1,381 Member
    Options
    Just gonna leave this here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NLI_Q24RM_Q

--P
  • nolachick
    nolachick Posts: 3,278 Member
    Options
    Did you "break up" because you invited her? Sorry, I'm nosy! You don't have to answer that.

We've been seeing each other for 3 months, sleep overs, not seeing anyone else, all that, so 7 days together didn't seem like such a wild stretch. She mentioned that she likes to go out and "get crazy" and because I've sort of moved on from that phase in my life that she doesn't see "us" going anywhere. Basically me not drinking, I'd like to think I'm still fun. Then a bunch of vague BS sort of baiting me to break it off, so I did. I'm not dishing out marriage proposals, but I'd rather spend my time with someone excited to be around me.

I think you guys are probably right about the 8 days being too little time. I'm sure I could find a girl to go, but it would basically be prostitution at this point. ;)

just wanna say this girl sounds like an idiot for not seeing a future with someone who doesnt drink or parties like an animal.
    i live in new orleans, its hard to find a guy who is tame. most of them have drinking and partying as their #1 priority.

oh well. hope u have fun no matter who you end up taking :smile:
  • AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    Options
    Well, I met a guy, had a 3 day date/relationship, cos we clicked immediately, and if he asked me to go away with him, I'd go!! Actually, I'd jump at the chance. What woman wouldnt?? (assuming she can get time off work etc)

Therefore, I'd opt for the dating frenzy and see where the chips fall :bigsmile:

Why does everyone think that all new girlfriends are crazy, undignified, uncouth embarrassments with little humility or decorum?? :laugh:
  • FitnessPalWorks
    FitnessPalWorks Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    Just gonna leave this here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NLI_Q24RM_Q

--P

LOL! Good one!

Also, inviting mom would be an awesome thing to do. Aww. :)

PS - If you change your mind on the "mom" gig..... HOW YOU DOIN'?????? :love:
  • kimad
    kimad Posts: 3,010 Member
    Options
    It's funny because I would say yes, most women would think it was odd you'd invite them on a trip after knowing them such a short amount of time. I met a guy in December and one the first date he wanted me to go to Mexico in 2 months with him - like he kept saying 'when we go to Mexico' it was soooo creepy!

That being said, my last LTR (we dated 9 months, found out he had an addiction)... We went out on 3 dates over a course of 2 weeks, and for date 4 I flew to Vegas for 3 nights to meet him on a work trip. I was so nervous to go from 0 to 60 so soon that I was pretty much blasted the whole time. We laughed about it all the time.... I can't believe I did it, wow!

If she 'baited' you to break up with her over things like you not wanting to drink.. thank your lucky stars! I would have been like 'tell me when to pack my bags I will be there!!' 3 months is long enough to take a cruise together IMO.
  • RunIntheMud
    RunIntheMud Posts: 2,645 Member
    Options

just wanna say this girl sounds like an idiot for not seeing a future with someone who doesnt drink or parties like an animal.
    i live in new orleans, its hard to find a guy who is tame. most of them have drinking and partying as their #1 priority.

oh well. hope u have fun no matter who you end up taking :smile:

Agree with this. It's so hard to find a man that doesn't want to bar hop around here.

I also agree about not asking a new "acquaintance". I had a man approach me about something similar on a second date. He and his family were going on a cruise 3 months later and the tickets were a buy one get one free kind of deal. While I understood the sentiment, it was just way too much too soon.
  • JanieJack
    JanieJack Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    Guys inviting a girl to an overnight anything- especially a cruise says "sex" so I can see why someone you just met wouldn't want to go. I can also see why a girl who knows it's going nowhere wouldn't want to go.

What I don't get is why in one post you say whoever comes it's just prostitution and in another say you have no FWBs.as if that's not what you want. So what you're saying is, you want us to tel you how to find some random girl who's crazy enough to go have sex with some guy she doesn't know in exchange for a vacay.

Good luck with that. Any girl who would do it is probably gonna leave you hurting in more ways than one.

I agree with P: points 1-3 match what I've seen too. On the cruises I've been on unless it's a singles cruise, I rarely found single guys and often run into other single girls who didn't realize there would be no unattached men. From what I read, bringing a guy buddy sounds like a good match for you.

I hesitate to recommend a platonic girl friend because, unless I'm reading you wrong, sounds like you intend to get drunk and get some and if she ends up being the one you "get" it might destroy your friendship when she doesn't realize this meant nothing.
    Well, I met a guy, had a 3 day date/relationship, cos we clicked immediately, and if he asked me to go away with him, I'd go!! Actually, I'd jump at the chance. What woman wouldn't??
    I wouldn't. Why do you write that like it's "wrong" to feel that way? Different strokes for different folks. Especially in THIS case... Even if I was ok with having sex outside of marriage, I wouldn't jump at the opportunity to, in his own words, be basically a prostitute.

I get the no drinking thing (even though I wish it weren't that way) because many guys don't want to get involved with a girl who doesn't drink. Could be AA. Could be too prudish. Could be too controlling. Could be they're a party pooper. Could be they're none of those things but that's just what guys assume.

How about taking one of the girls you're flirting with online? Or someone from this (or other fourms) you've at least interacted with for a few months in some format and who would be happy to do something exciting like this? I understand that a lot of people online hate to "get real" but what's the worst that can happen?
  • Prahasaurus
    Options
    Actually, I think the "Mom" option is by far the best. Moms are great, and deserve a break now and then. You'll feel good doing her a favor, after all the years of support and unconditional love (assuming you have a "normal" Mom).

And as a side benefit, you'll look like a terrific guy to your co-workers for doing this. The kind of guy who needs a promotion asap. :-)

Win, win.

--P
  • Prahasaurus
    Options
    Why does everyone think that all new girlfriends are crazy, undignified, uncouth embarrassments with little humility or decorum?? :laugh:

Experience? ;-)

Ha! No, seriously, you never know. You never friggin' know. How can you, after a week of dating? Probably never sleeping over? Never together for more than 5-6 hours at a time. But all of a sudden a week? On a boat?

And there's the rub, Ophelia. Because you don't want to suffer the slings and arrows of your co-workers when your "girlfriend" downs five Long Island Ice Teas and begins crotch dancing with Johnson from Accounts Payable. Anyone but Johnson! And then Johnson's psycho wife goes all trailer park on your "girlfriend's" *kitten*. And then things really begin to deteriorate...

--P
  • Prahasaurus
    Options
    Plus (not to beat this dead horse to death), this nicely illustrates the quandary we men face. Although I grant you it's a quandary of our own making (a self inflicted quandary?)....

[Warning: huge generalization ahead]

We men tend to value different traits in a woman differently, depending on the situation. Looks, personality, sultriness, intelligence, etc. vary in importance, given the specific setting. For example, the kind of woman we want for a wild night of debauchery - drink, sex, etc. - is oftentimes different from the kind of woman we want to raise our kids, invest our money, or meet our boss.

Sure, some guys hit the jackpot and get an all-in-one Renaissance woman who manages the household during the day, wows your friends and co-workers with her knowledge of football draft strategies and obscure French literature during the evenings, and then rocks your world at night. Those women do theoretically exist... ;-)

But 9 out of 10 times, we need to make compromises, raking different traits differently, depending on the situation. And in this particular situation, most men would make the wrong ranking. Because, being men, we'd focus first and foremost on the wild sex in exotic locales. And while that is definitely a part of this package, 98% of the time the date will need to interact with co-workers. Ideally fully clothed. And therein lies the real quandary. By focusing on the 2%, we've chosen the wrong woman for the trip.

And there is also some selection bias at work here. The kind of woman that would agree to a week on a boat with you after 1-2 dates max - assuming you've had no interaction with her before this time* - is oftentimes *not* the kind of woman who you want to bring on these outings! The kind of woman you want would probably refuse your invite, claiming you don't know each other well enough, yet...

Or, to put it more succinctly: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=piVnArp9ZE0

--P

*As some ladies here "know" the OP through various posting and interactions, I do think it more reasonable to agree to a vacation with him in this manner. This is not the same as meeting him off the street, never having interacted with him, and one week later finding yourself sharing toiletries off the Turkish coast.
  • poncho33
    poncho33 Posts: 1,511
    Options

Experience? ;-)

Ha! No, seriously, you never know. You never friggin' know. How can you, after a week of dating? Probably never sleeping over? Never together for more than 5-6 hours at a time. But all of a sudden a week? On a boat?

And there's the rub, Ophelia. Because you don't want to suffer the slings and arrows of your co-workers when your "girlfriend" downs five Long Island Ice Teas and begins crotch dancing with Johnson from Accounts Payable. Anyone but Johnson! And then Johnson's psycho wife goes all trailer park on your "girlfriend's" *kitten*. And then things really begin to deteriorate...

--P

lol... wish I was Johnson from Accounts Payable!

Seriously tho, experience... No guy wants to be sitting there completly embarrassed of someone they hardly know.
  • jenbit
    jenbit Posts: 4,289 Member
    Options

Experience? ;-)

--P

I think I've been to that party lol.....
  • kimad
    kimad Posts: 3,010 Member
    Options
    And there is also some selection bias at work here. The kind of woman that would agree to a week on a boat with you after 1-2 dates max - assuming you've had no interaction with her before this time* - is oftentimes *not* the kind of woman who you want to bring on these outings! The kind of woman you want would probably refuse your invite, claiming you don't know each other well enough, yet...

not always true.... case in point - me
    eta: I wouldn't do it again though!!

What was nice in my case is that it was Vegas and it's easier to spend time alone. We did one afternoon. We also had all his coworkers there and we all got along very well. It was probably one of the best trips I have ever had to Vegas... But I would hold my pee, so I didn' t have to use the washroom in our hotel room HAHA
  • jesusHchris
    Options
    Thanks for the great advice everyone!

All joking aside, ideally I would have been able to bring a girl that I was interested in romantically and was working on developing a relationship with. Definitely don't need advice on how to pick up a crazy chick who wants to use me, I'm really good at that already, but thanks Janie (why the hate?) ;)

My guest will be a family member. Unless they decline and then who the hell knows. It is a very important trip from a career and business networking perspective, so I am keeping things simple. There's always the chance I'll have some Hollywood moment between now and next week, but I am not banking on that and am looking forward to enjoying the time however it pans out.

Have a great weekend!
  • jenbit
    jenbit Posts: 4,289 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the great advice everyone!

All joking aside, ideally I would have been able to bring a girl that I was interested in romantically and was working on developing a relationship with. Definitely don't need advice on how to pick up a crazy chick who wants to use me, I'm really good at that already, but thanks Janie (why the hate?) ;)

My guest will be a family member. Unless they decline and then who the hell knows. It is a very important trip from a career and business networking perspective, so I am keeping things simple. There's always the chance I'll have some Hollywood moment between now and next week, but I am not banking on that and am looking forward to enjoying the time however it pans out.

Have a great weekend!

Well that would be one family memeber you can cross off the birthday /christmas present list lol...... Take your mom/grandma/ favorite Auntie....... It will mean alot to them and make you look super awesome to your company
  • TheKitsune6
    TheKitsune6 Posts: 5,798 Member
    Options
    MFW you thought I was joking

lunapetfinder3.jpg
  • jesusHchris
    Options
    MFW you thought I was joking

lunapetfinder3.jpg

I associated that photo with something other than "F" until I googled the acronym. ;)