Provera

Options
mamosh81
mamosh81 Posts: 409 Member
anyone here on provera & metformin? I started treatment about 3 months ago and the first 10 days i had to take provera the period i got was horror 2 weeks heavy bleeding but the passed 2 months it does not seem to work right i take the 10 day provera and when i stop i just get a tiny little bleeding not even strong enouph for tampons for 2 maybe 3 days. Anyone else experience this? I am supposed to go back to my doctor in august for more bloodwork and checking if she has to alter the doses.

A little background i only had 1-2 periods a year the passed 10 yrs but they always been stronger when they came. Now i finally started treatment for my pcos feb. and also have hashimoto but no meds for that yet since my thyroid hormon is not low enoph yet but doctor is positive it will be in august as well.

Replies

• xstup1dc0rex
    Options
    anyone here on provera & metformin? I started treatment about 3 months ago and the first 10 days i had to take provera the period i got was horror 2 weeks heavy bleeding but the passed 2 months it does not seem to work right i take the 10 day provera and when i stop i just get a tiny little bleeding not even strong enouph for tampons for 2 maybe 3 days. Anyone else experience this? I am supposed to go back to my doctor in august for more bloodwork and checking if she has to alter the doses.

A little background i only had 1-2 periods a year the passed 10 yrs but they always been stronger when they came. Now i finally started treatment for my pcos feb. and also have hashimoto but no meds for that yet since my thyroid hormon is not low enoph yet but doctor is positive it will be in august as well.

I took provera but at the time was not on metformin. I had the same problem. I had a severe period, and my doctor prescribed provera to help it stop. It stopped it alright, but the most AWFUL period after the 10 days. I called my doctor thinking something was severely wrong.

After the initial period from h*ll, I had very light cycles for the remainder of the time I was on provera. I stopped taking it, and now my periods have gone back to being non-existent.
  • mamosh81
    Options
    ok just wanted to see if it was normal that they so low after the first period from hell. Guess it can wait then till i have to go back in in august. Thank you for the reply :flowerforyou:
  • xstup1dc0rex
    Options
    ok just wanted to see if it was normal that they so low after the first period from hell. Guess it can wait then till i have to go back in in august. Thank you for the reply :flowerforyou:

No problem! The way my Dr explained it, was that in women that have not had periods for long amounts of time, their uterus has considerably thicker lining (since they don't have regular cycles to shed the lining) Provera works to help regulate the cycle, but also to help thin the lining of the uterus. I.E. the super heavy period. So after its thinned it out so much, your body does not have as much lining to shed from the uterus, therefore you have a lighter period.
  • mamosh81
    Options
    ahh now that makes sense :happy: