Sweat in my eyes is KILLING me!

Options
miguelrunner
miguelrunner Posts: 156 Member
Every time I run I get a downpour of sweat in my eyes! The sweat causes my eyes to burn and that causes my nose to run; then I'm a complete mess! LOL! Even hours later I still have a slight burning sensation in my eyes. =(

I've seen these weird "gutter" headband things that literally act as a gutter on your forehead and direct the sweat to your temple area. Then there's the standard headband, or just taking a hand towel. I just don't see myself wearing a headband though... reminds me too much of the 70's disco scene. LOL Last year I also tried smearing petroleum jelly across my forehead but that crap didn't work at all.

Anyone have similar problems?

Replies

• 007bondage
    007bondage Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    Yes. I'm a baldy, so sweat just runs off my "solar panel" and into my eyes. I wear a running cap, or on hot days a running visor (with a bucket of "sports" sun block) and this helps about 99%.

If you are in an event, grab a small child / spectator and wipe your forehead on it's shirt. That will work.
  • miguelrunner
    Options
    If you are in an event, grab a small child / spectator and wipe your forehead on it's shirt. That will work.
    You know, I may just do that to see their reaction! LOL!!! Good one!

Not a big fan of hats but I may give a visor a try. I saw a bunch of the runners in last weekend's Ironman had on visors. They must know a thing or two.

Oh, and congrats on YOUR M-Dot!
  • 007bondage
    007bondage Posts: 631 Member
    Options

Oh, and congrats on YOUR M-Dot!

Thanks, my friend. I'm sure you can earn that "dot" with a bit of focus too :)
  • KyleB65
    KyleB65 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    LOL! Me too!!!
    It is better now than when I first started this journey. I used to bring 2x full sized bath towels to mop the floor at the gym! :-)

As for sweat in the eyes. I wear a cap when running. This helps me a lot. I am about 90% bald, the cap takes the sweat out to the visor and down the back. Sometimes, like last evening, when it's hot & humid, I need to take it off and squeeze off the sweat a little. But, in general, this keeps it out of my eyes.

The cap is bright fluorescent yellow. So, it also keeps me visible to drivers. And, the visor keeps the sun out of my eyes.
  • KeithAngilly
    KeithAngilly Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    I have an asics everday run cap ( http://www.runningwarehouse.com/descpage-AMERC.html ) and this hat is just incredible at moving sweat and rain away for my face. I has a "water channel" and the sweat/rain just drip off the front of the cap.
  • DavidMartinez2
    DavidMartinez2 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    I have been a fan of the Nike Featherweight hat but recently got a Headsweats hat that fits just as well. Other hats seem to set on my head oddly.
  • TheBrolympus
    TheBrolympus Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    I've seen these weird "gutter" headband things that literally act as a gutter on your forehead and direct the sweat to your temple area. Then there's the standard headband, or just taking a hand towel. I just don't see myself wearing a headband though... reminds me too much of the 70's disco scene.

I use a Halo when I ride my mountain bike (and have used the Gutr band also) and they work great. However, I don't like to use them when I am running, for the same reasons you mentioned above. :)

Go with a good running hat or visor. Should help.
  • miguelrunner
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your replies. I grabbed some wristbands the other day and took them on Monday night's 10k. While it was effective to wipe the sweat away, it felt like I was fighting a losing battle. LOL!

Next on the list is a visor hat. I saw both Nike and Under Armor at my local sporting goods store, under $20 USD each.
  • algebravoodoo
    algebravoodoo Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    I use a skullcap as well, but a smear of petroleum jelly across the eyebrows directs the sweat away from the eyes.
  • kkramey1970
    kkramey1970 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Same problem here. Nike Dri-fit hats seem to keep it to a minimum.
  • SteveTries
    SteveTries Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    I bought a lightweight, peaked running cap for rainy conditions but soon realised it solved this problem also. It doesn't cause me to feel any hotter when I wear it.
  • miguelrunner
    Options
    Well silly me! I forgot that part of my registration for my last half was a lightweight running hat! I used it on today's run and... well... the difference is like night and day! No sweat in eyes, it all rolled off the visor as I ran!

Thanks everyone! Ya'll ROCK! <3