Strength Training for Runners

Options
NAMsMommy
NAMsMommy Posts: 132 Member
I am training for my first half (October 13) and was told I should do some strength training. Does anyone know of a good program for runners. I would rather it be inexpensive as my budget is pretty tight. Also needs to be easy on my back, I am "healed" but still have my bad days post-spinal compression fracture.

Replies

• sprintto50
    sprintto50 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Be interested in the same thing. Same back issue, too.
  • MissMormie
    MissMormie Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I'm sure someone will give a more comprehensive answer but for me squats and lunges really improved my leg strength and speed. Couple that with some core work out to get a big boost. For the core workout I would recommend going to a physical therapist to get some exercises that are not harmful for your back. The actual strengthening of the core muscles should also improve the back problems.
  • ContraryMaryMary
    ContraryMaryMary Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    I do Pilates for core strength (weights are not my thing) and it made a definite impact on my running when it came to endurance. I am simply stronger and able to maintain a good technique longer. The added bonus was getting a good stretch once a week - and you know how tight your legs can get after a couple of hours running.
  • cbeckl
    cbeckl Posts: 79
    Options
    I'm training for my first half as well, and someone had told me to look into "you are your own gym" workouts, which is basically body weight training. I have yet to start the workouts, though so I'm not sure if they are appropriate. Anyone else heard of this workout?
  • RunnerElizabeth
    RunnerElizabeth Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    I'm doing You Are Your Own Gym now with my running. I'm just about to start my 3rd week of the program so I can't share results and how it's effecting my running. I can tell you why I picked Iit though.

I was looking at the New Rules of Lifting for Women and decided against it for now because I'd have to do it in a gym, YAYOG I can do anywhere, home or the office and generally since I use what would be my gym time for a lunch time run, this didn't work for me.

I think it will be positive for my running because with the progressions of the excercises I do see how I'm going to be increasing my strength. And there are lots of excercises for the lower body, last night I did , squats, lunges and romanian deadlifts. Now my legs do get tired after a workout to the point that it could have an impact on my run the next day, so I try to do the lower body stuff on the evening of a run day with a no run planned for the next day so I have a chance to rest.

When it isn't race season and I can cut back to 3 runs a week, I plan on switching to NROL4W. It's just right now the added time and increased risk for exhaustion and injury, it didn't seem like the best time for something dramatically different.
  • PeteWhoLikesToRunAlot
    PeteWhoLikesToRunAlot Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    I'm training for my first full and am incorporating some HIIT core strength training, which also includes a mix of leg and upper body strengthening. It includes lots of box jumps, squats with light dumbbells, balance with resistance. I've done it intermittently, but am keeping to a schedule now, hopefully will help with form, especially as fatigue sets in.