#20 insanely Good Blueberry Oatmeal Muffins

Options
J3nnyV
J3nnyV Posts: 114 Member
Hi ladies,

I will admit that I made this recipe already! My husband called me a big cooking nerd to already have made the recipe before making this post, but it all happened innocently enough! Because my toddler was sick with a fever, I was looking for ways to keep him happy and busy. Turns out, I had all of the ingredients for these in my cupboards! I used honey instead of agave and used frozen (instead of fresh) blueberries, but it all worked out!

These muffins are yummy and totally toddler friendly. I want to try them again with cherries!

Here is the recipe:

Insanely Good Blueberry Oatmeal Muffins
http://www.skinnytaste.com/2012/03/insanely-good-blueberry-oatmeal-muffins.htmlMay 24, 2013
Yes, these muffins are insanely good! Hard to believe they are low fat. Think baked oatmeal, but in the form of a muffin... so moist and they are just as good the next day.
Someone shared their oatmeal muffin recipe with me which was the base for this recipe, but I played around with the ingredients and made some modifications to make it over-the-top good! My husband said they were the BEST blueberry muffins he ever tasted, and my two year old thought they were cupcakes. Sadly, they are all gone now so I guess I'll have to whip up another batch next weekend.

Think of the variations you can come up with replacing the blueberries with raisins, apples or even chocolate chips!

Insanely Good Blueberry Oatmeal Muffins
Skinnytaste.com
Servings: 12 • Serving Size: 1 muffin • Old Points: 2 pts • Points+: 4 pts
Calories: 127 • Fat: 2.3 g • Protein: 2.8 g • Carb: 28.4 g • Fiber: 2.2 g • Sugar: 17.3 g
Sodium: 222.7 mg
Ingredients:

1 1/2 cups Quaker quick oatmeal
1 cup unsweetened almond milk (or skim milk)
1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
2 tbsp agave (or sugar, honey)
1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
2 egg whites
1 tbsp oil
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup white whole wheat flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup fresh blueberries
baking spray

Directions:
Preheat oven to 400°. Line a muffin tin with liners and lightly spray with oil.

Place oats in a food processor or chopper and pulse a few times. Soak oats in milk for about 30 minutes.

In a medium bowl combine brown sugar, agave, apple sauce, vanilla, egg whites, oil and mix well.
In a third bowl combine whole wheat flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda and whisk to combine.

Combine oats and milk with sugar, applesauce mixture and mix well. Slowly add in the dry ingredients and mix until just incorporated. Fold in blueberries.

Spoon into the muffin tin and bake for 22-24 minutes. Enjoy!!

Replies

• Pepper2185
    Pepper2185 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    I love blueberry muffins! Looking forward to them :)
  • daytolive
    daytolive Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Will most definitely try this! I need an alternative to plain old oatmeat. Sounds great!
  • J3nnyV
    Options
    My toddler and I made these again today. Came together so quickly now that I've made it once. We used pear purée instead of apple sauce (the baby has started solids so I was just using what was handy) and put 1/2 cup chocolate chips instead of blueberries! LOL!

Yummy!

Perfect thing to do on a rainy Monday afternoon!
  • H0llyG0lightly
    H0llyG0lightly Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Made these yesterday. They make a good breakfast; I add a tiny bit of orange marmalade and they're great. The recipe was quite easy. I overprocessed the oatmeal, but they came out fine, though the moisture from the blueberries makes some parts of the muffin less solid than other parts. These would definitely be good with chocolate or butterscotch chips, or with other fruits.
  • Pepper2185
    Options
    Awesome muffins!

I only had frozen blueberries, too, and they turned out great. I also ended up using sunflower oil for the oil because it was all I had, and as I was pouring it into the spoon is sloshed all into the bowl. Muffins still turned out awesome.

I've always made blueberry bran muffins, but I like blueberry oatmeal muffins better now. Will make again :happy:
  • Pepper2185
    Options
    Also, as we cook our way through the Top 25, I'm saving the best recipes in my cookbook to make again. I like it when I add a new recipe to my cookbook, and it seems like every single one of the Skinnytaste recipes goes in!

High five, Skinnytaste!
  • J3nnyV
    Options
    My toddler and I made these AGAIN last night. Third time in 10 days. He loves them. I used one of his apple/raspberry/cran fruit cups in place of applesauce bc it was all we had. Yum.

Should also mention that I've never pulsed the oats, or let them soak for longer than 5 mi uses and they have still turned out well. Yay.