Next program after 12 weeks of SL

Options
jstout365
jstout365 Posts: 1,686 Member
Okay, so I'm at the end of the 12 weeks of SL and while I like the program and made great strength gains, it is taking a bit of time at the heavier weights and I think it may be time to move to the next level. So for my next program I would like to keep in a good number of the compound lifts and add some accessory lifts. This is what I'm thinking of so far:

M - 2 mile run (alternate steady state and interval) / Core / Shoulders
- To include cable, kettle bell, medicine ball, and resistance band exercises. For the core, exercises like toe to bar raises, incline sit-ups, back extensions, bicycle crunches, and V-ups. Shoulder to include kettle bell snatch, low cable lat raises....

Tue - Squats (heavy) 3x5 with a 10 lb weight progression/ Bench 3x5
- Body weight accessory lifts for chest/back/arms to include push-ups, dips, pull-ups (do as many as possible), bodyweight rows, and resistance band work.

Wed - HIIT (rotate between plyometric and cardio)

Thurs - Squats 5x5 (-30% from heavy with pause and hold at bottom) / Deadlift
- Accessory complexes w/barbell, body weight plyometrics, kettlebell focusing on legs and some olympic lift movements (cleans and snatchs). Plyo to include burpees, alternating jumping lunges, box jumps, mountain climbers, plank side jumps, squat jumps. Rotate complexes each week.

Friday - Rower intervals / Core / Back/chest/arm accessory
- Weighted 3x8 exercises to include dumbbell pull overs, flys, one arm rows, low pulley rows, lat pull downs, tricep extensions, preacher curls, hammer curls.

Saturday - Squats 5x5 (-30% from heavy with bottom pluse) / OHP with shoulder mobility and accessory lifts

I would add weight once a week. Squats I'm considering alternating between front and back squats to add in the variety.

My accessory lifts would be done 3x8-10 for dumbbell and cable exercises and 3x15-20 for bodyweight and resistance band exercises.

I will also vary my accessory lifts by picking one or two exercises from each targeted area. Rest times between sets will vary and I will switch from standard sets where I rest between each exercise set to doing more like a complex with each exercise completed one after the other with a rest after the last exercise before the next set.

I know it may seem a bit hard to follow, but I think the general break down is easy enough and I get to manage my variety with the accessory lifts. I left out pendlay rows just because I really don't like doing them and I feel I can get some other accessory work in that I actually like to target the back. I can always add them back in if I feel I'm not getting what I need from the accessory work as well.

My goals are more in like with the total fitness approach where I have strength and cardio endurance. I'm not looking to gain muscle mass and I'm more or less comfortable with where I am at BF% wise.

So....Thoughts, comments, and suggestions?

Replies

• Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Will_Thrust_For_Candy Posts: 6,109 Member
    Options
    So I do have a couple of ideas/suggestions.....

1. Have you considered just switching to a more 3x5 based approach using SL template? Still add in some accessory if you feel like it? You can also do 3x5 with your last set being highest weight (as I have now been doing as per your suggestion :) This is what I did for my second cycle and I spent more time on each weight...progressed more like every week or so and I did enjoy it a great deal.

2. Have you looked at Madcow? Before I decided to go with Beautiful Badass that was what I was going to do. Again, you can add accessory as you see fit and it's the same exercises as SL but loading is done differently. I liked this one because you put your info into a spreadsheet and it just tells you everything to do and weights to use.

3. Have you thought about Beautiful Badass lol

I mean don't get me wrong, I don't think that there is anything "wrong" with what you have developed.....I think do what works for you......I just know that if I can use a template from someone that has proven success, especially for free, then effing A lol

Oh and have you read Practical Programming by Mark Rippetoe? That's also a great resource for intermediate lifters :)
  • jstout365
    jstout365 Posts: 1,686 Member
    Options
    1. Yes.
    2. Yes.
    3. Looked at it, but not super familiar with it.

I know that an off-the-shelf program that is laid out and proven is a good way to go and a LOT easier :laugh:, but I'm an odd ball and like the challenge of seeing if I can do something that works for me. SL was a great start into the strength arena and I see the benefit of programs like it.

I've incorporated some of the Madcow principles into my plan. I'll be doing the progressive lifts where I do 1x5 up to the working weight. It has been working well for me on my squats and DL so far and I want to start that for bench and OHP. I think in a way I am following Madcow with the lifts, but mucking with it just enough to not be a true Madcow routine. Oh and since I really get no enjoyment out of rows, I rather do something else for back.

I think my issue is that I like to do different things. Not just different in the sense of one exercise versus another, but different in that not a lot of people do those kind of things regularly like toes to bar, decline push-ups, plyometrics, and some of the olympic lifts. A set program to me feels like I'm getting really good at a few things and then trailing behind in other areas. To be honest, if I could afford crossfit, I would probably consider that as an option.

With this, I am in no rush. I figure I can give it a go and see where I am at in 12 weeks. If I like what I'm doing and where I'm getting, great...if not, Nia Shanks will still be waiting for me :bigsmile:
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Will_Thrust_For_Candy Posts: 6,109 Member
    Options
    So yeah the reason I actually did end up going with Nia Shanks is because while I do love the big compound lifts.....shoot I'm bored of doing the exact same thing 3-4 times/week.....I've done this for 6 months now! Beautiful Badass still incorporates all of the big lifts that I love....but only 1 big lift per workout and then 2 accessory lifts. The program I have chosen to start with is called 6-3-9-3 and week 1 it's 1x6, week 2 it's 1x3, week 3 1x9, and week 4 1x3. I love the concept because I can still play with super heavy weights for low reps, but then sometimes I'll get to throw around a bit lighter weight for higher reps. Plus I get to work on things like pushups, pull ups and inverted rows....stuff that I haven't had a chance to do yet :)

I totally hear where you are coming from though and I mean at the end of the day, if it works for you and you're happy with it, that's really all that matters :)
  • Jaxster92708
    Jaxster92708 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I did 13 or maybe 14 weeks of SL then started feeling the same way. I am now doing Wendler's 5/3/1 and am finishing up my 6th cycle. Gives me the strength building in the one compound move and the variety and flexibility of assistance work.

Your program looks pretty solid: I work out at 4:30 AM, so need something basic and simple so I don't have to think too hard!

There are so many great options out there-you'll find the right one.

Good luck,
    Jackie