Carbs!!

Options
Hi Guys!

So I have found that I feel absolutely miserable if I am at 30 grams of carbs or less a day. Do any of you stay in the 50-70 range and still lose weight??

Thanks!

Replies

• pattyproulx
    pattyproulx Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    Ya - I'm generally in the 100g range and am losing.
    I have been working out a lot lately though so that explains the raise in carbs a bit.

When I'm fairly sedentary, I usually aim for around 60-70g.

I've done 30g a day and find it kinda hard to sustain over a prolonged period (not necessarily because I don't fell good, but just because I can't seem to eat anything other than meat and eggs).

Edit: Also, I really don't know if there's anything to support this at all, but I've read if you eat the carbs in the morning, you might be better off since you'll burn it throughout the day rather than have your body process it overnight. Maybe something to experiment with?

Either way though you should have no problems at all losing at 50-70g (though if you've been at 30g regularly, you might see a little spike once you up it do to water retention)
  • juliagulia909
    juliagulia909 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Awesome thanks! Yeah I just feel like total crap if I go any lower. I could probably do it if I didn't feel so bad....well, that is good to know that I wont be sabotaging myself ... I am also exercising regularly. Heavy weight lifting and cardio...
  • bacamacho
    bacamacho Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    Oh my gosh, I don't think I could stay that low. I don't max my carbs, but always 100+. With all that I'm doing, I need a little extra. I get a lot of them from sweet potatoes and fruits though. Sometimes my home baked goodies when I'm "testing" them. He he he.
  • kajpen
    kajpen Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I'm usually between 50-100 grams and my body fat continues to drop.
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    no.. once i'm in ketosis i feel amazing.

carb flu is pretty terrible though.
  • juliagulia909
    Options

That's awesome. And what does your fat intake normally look like? Do you think I will still lose eating like 120 grams of fat and 60 grams of carbs per day? I don't eat grains but have been eating a lot of dairy and fruit. I am cutting out dairy all together, upping my fat, and starting to limit my fruit.. just trying to figure out what will work for me! Thanks!!
  • pattyproulx
    pattyproulx Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    Honestly, the best way is to experiment with your body and see how you feel and how the weight is responding. No two people are the same.

Personally, the macros I watch are protein and carbs. I aim for about 1g per lb of my ideal body weight (180-200g) and try to stay under 100g (give or take a few). The fat generally works itself out.

My macro ratios are set at 50F/35P/15c and that seems to work well for me.

I think you're well on your way with that plan of dropping dairy and limiting fruit if you're looking for weight loss. Dairy causes large spikes in insulin and could be hampering your progress.
  • kajpen
    kajpen Posts: 120 Member
    Options

That's awesome. And what does your fat intake normally look like? Do you think I will still lose eating like 120 grams of fat and 60 grams of carbs per day? I don't eat grains but have been eating a lot of dairy and fruit. I am cutting out dairy all together, upping my fat, and starting to limit my fruit.. just trying to figure out what will work for me! Thanks!!

If you send a friend request you can view my diary. I don't eat grains (I'm Celiac, but find even non gluten grains cause me tummy issues). I get my carbs from vegetables, nuts, and fruits... And occasionally gluten free oatmeal. The biggest fat loss for me has been cutting out sugar (other than fruit).

I have my macros set at 40% protein 35% fat and 25% carbs.

Oh, and I try to limit fruit to two a day, but don't stress if I have more some days :).
  • twaltemade
    twaltemade Posts: 68 Member
    Options

Personally, the macros I watch are protein and carbs. I aim for about 1g per lb of my ideal body weight (180-200g) and try to stay under 100g (give or take a few). The fat generally works itself out.

So if I am a newbie trying to start ketosis under 30 carbs, can I ignore calories and still lose weight if I exceed my MFP calorie targets?? Any thoughts there?? I hear that a higher fat intake can shorten he carb flu period.
  • CRody44
    CRody44 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    I’ve averaged 80 grams of carbs this week and have lost 3 pounds.
  • Zeromilediet
    Zeromilediet Posts: 787 Member
    Options

So if I am a newbie trying to start ketosis under 30 carbs, can I ignore calories and still lose weight if I exceed my MFP calorie targets?? Any thoughts there?? I hear that a higher fat intake can shorten he carb flu period.

Honestly, everyone is different. you may have to do some experimentation to see what works for you, and even at that, you may find your body adapts and changes and what you need to eat changes as well. This is a lifetime change, so several weeks or months of trying different macros are no big deal. I've been paleo since Mar 2011 and found cutting carbs to 20% of calories worked to lose the weight but now over a year later I actually need more. The OP is female so I'll add that I've read females have higher carb requirements because of reproductive needs, so you may want to experiment with carb levels to find what works for you. What is okay now may not be enough after a few months when your body fat is lower.
  • juliagulia909
    Options
    Thank you all so much for your input, you guys are great! I feel confident that I am doing the right things and am going to continue on to my plan. Wish me luck!!!!! Feel free to add me as a friend, can't have too many paleo friends!