A quick poll..........

Options
asusteffie
asusteffie Posts: 6 Member
Let me preface this by saying I am not looking for advice. I want to know what you would think if it happened to you.

You are meeting a new man for the second time. The first date was great. Easy conversation, laughing and just comfortable. You say your goodbyes. You are now on your second meeting, a quick lunch date that he drove in with to see you. You have a great time and thank him for coming. You lean in for the hug and get a loose lean in type hug with a pat on the back. How would YOU interpret this?

Replies

• AZDizzy
    AZDizzy Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Maybe him being courteous because it was a work thing? Maybe him being a chicken, maybe a he's not into you...guess it depends on how he contacts you after?
  • SouthernSweetie74
    Options
    I would think he wasn't interested.
  • Carl01
    Carl01 Posts: 9,370 Member
    Options
    Who knows,it very well could mean nothing...in this day and age many guys are going to be cautious about physical contact early lest they be accused of something.

Stop over thinking it and see if he asks or better yet accepts when you ask a third meeting.
  • Natx83
    Natx83 Posts: 1,308 Member
    Options
    I think he's just being cautious, day time dates are a bit different sometimes!
  • dbrightwell1270
    dbrightwell1270 Posts: 1,732 Member
    Options
    If I was on a second date that I thought was going great and you leaned in to suggest a hug instead of a kiss, I'd figure you weren't very interested.
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    Options
    If I was on a second date that I thought was going great and you leaned in to suggest a hug instead of a kiss, I'd figure you weren't very interested.

I disagree. Some people don't kiss until a few dates in. I think a hug is a good way to say that you like him. However, maybe he thought you were going to kiss him so then he didn't know what to do with his hands.

OP I would wait and see if he asks you out again before you get too worried.
  • asusteffie
    Options

It was a second meeting but we were also outside of my workplace. I am still seeing the guy and things are good. I am really just taking a poll to see what you would think if you got the loose hug and pat.
  • SouthernSweetie74
    Options
    or maybe he's not into PDA? In that case, we probably wouldn't be a good fit.
  • NCTravellingGirl
    NCTravellingGirl Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Well, my first reaction is that he wasn't interested... BUT then I wondered how date #1 ended? Did it cool off from the first date or stay the same?
  • Nerple
    Nerple Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    If I was meeting a man for a second time I would think my life had taken a radically different direction and I'd be afraid I had to start liking Cher and Madonna.
  • pa_jorg
    pa_jorg Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    Generally I would say there was no interest... but did you also said this was directly outside your workplace?? That is awkward regardless so I don't know what to say here. If you like him, just text him to say thanks and leave an opening for him to write back.
  • asusteffie
    Options
    Well, my first reaction is that he wasn't interested... BUT then I wondered how date #1 ended? Did it cool off from the first date or stay the same?

The first date ended with him standing a good 10 feet from me in the parking lot of the restaurant and chatting for a couple of minutes. The second ended with the loose hug and pat ; ) And he wonders why I didn't think he liked me.
  • jenbit
    jenbit Posts: 4,289 Member
    Options
    If I was meeting a man for a second time I would think my life had taken a radically different direction and I'd be afraid I had to start liking Cher and Madonna.

lol thank you I spit coffee on my computer screen cause of you :flowerforyou:
  • AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    Options
    A daytime date is awkward. I'd reserve judgement for the next time I met him, hopefully, in a more of a romantic setting.:flowerforyou:
  • NCTravellingGirl
    NCTravellingGirl Posts: 717 Member
    Options

The first date ended with him standing a good 10 feet from me in the parking lot of the restaurant and chatting for a couple of minutes. The second ended with the loose hug and pat ; ) And he wonders why I didn't think he liked me.

Sounds to me like you made PROGRESS! Pretty good considering it was day time in front of work!
  • La_Amazona
    La_Amazona Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    Id be confused for sure. Why didn't he kiss me? What's with the pat? But I'd wait to see if he'd call or initiate a 3rd date. Maybe he likes to take things slow...?
  • Carl01
    Options

It was a second meeting but we were also outside of my workplace. I am still seeing the guy and things are good. I am really just taking a poll to see what you would think if you got the loose hug and pat.

It sounds like he is trying to be careful not to invade your "space".
    Let him know that physical contact is desired...touch his arm or shoulder in talking.

In short be willing to give to him what you want,don`t sit there being standoffish waiting to see if he will break the barrier.
    If you like him,show him and let the chips fall where they will.

This is where the "lady has to be passive" mindset falls apart because if you are not doing this already (you may have,don`t know) then why one expects a guy to with the possibility of not just rejection but also being called a creep is just a mystery to me.
  • poncho33
    poncho33 Posts: 1,511
    Options
    You woman send a lot of mixed singles... maybe he came on strong with the last girl and it blew up in his face. Lots of possibilities.
  • Carl01
    Options
    You woman send a lot of mixed singles... maybe he came on strong with the last girl and it blew up in his face. Lots of possibilities.

THAT sort of thing has been my curse,everything always seems to be one person ahead of the one that likes it.
  • DMZ_1
    DMZ_1 Posts: 2,889 Member
    Options
    A daytime date is awkward. I'd reserve judgement for the next time I met him, hopefully, in a more of a romantic setting.:flowerforyou:

Exactly. Whose idea was the day time date?

The only day time date that makes sense is one that is centered around some sort of activity like a walk around a lake, playing tennis, etc. Since you live in Arizona, and it is really hot there, that's probably not what happened.