How do you deal with MyFitnessPal settings?

Options
I want to use MFP (is that right?) to help me to track carbohydrate consumption. The darned thing has that annoying CALORIES thing that is the main bottom line...any way to also get some kind of sett-able CARB GOAL setting? Sheesh. (MyFitnessPal doesn't understand me! Fake sob!)

My story: new to paleo/primal after a physical showed metabolic syndrome in clear, stark terms. I was already doing Weight Watchers and had moved to a no-sugar, plenty of whole wheat strategy. (I cannot tell you how sick I've been). Lost 30 lbs doing points plus, because of the drop in sugar and the wholesale throwing out of the crap food. But my energy problems did NOT improve and indeed, were worse.

July 4, I read Wheat Belly and freed myself from wheat. TOTAL change in everything. Quickly moved on to Paleo book and Primal Blueprint for further study. Within a week, I removed corn and rice. Also discovered I had an almond sensitivity (migraine trigger! who knew? I felt so lousy all the time, this was just something I was putting up with.) Have lost 8 lbs so far and feel GREAT! GREAT! GREAT!

Now trying to figure this out and WW is not the tracking program for me. Sooooo. How do I paleo-customize the MFP thing?

Replies

• twaltemade
    twaltemade Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    You can customize your goals. Go to the FOOD tab, click SETTINGS below that, then GOALS. You have the option to customize your oals by lowering carbs and increasing fat.
  • becalope
    becalope Posts: 5
    Options
    THANK YOU! I am so pumped!
  • IselaCB
    IselaCB Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Last year I lost 20 pounds with WW, I did OK, but then it just all stalled out. In Jan of this year I moved to the 17 day diet which lead me to primal/paleo and lost another 20. I feel soooo much better! Migraines & eczema are also gone without the the wheat. Crazy stuff. I'm still figuring out the ratios that are best for me here on MFP, but it is a million times better than WW for me. The new WW is definitely a good program for a lot of people, I just do better without the grains! Welcome :)
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Last year I lost 20 pounds with WW, I did OK, but then it just all stalled out. In Jan of this year I moved to the 17 day diet which lead me to primal/paleo and lost another 20. I feel soooo much better! Migraines & eczema are also gone without the the wheat. Crazy stuff. I'm still figuring out the ratios that are best for me here on MFP, but it is a million times better than WW for me. The new WW is definitely a good program for a lot of people, I just do better without the grains! Welcome :)

Here's what I did for my ratios, if you're interested:

Set calories to whatever it is you're supposed to be at (however you've determined it).
    Set carbs to whatever percentage gets you about 100g (assuming weight loss)
    Set protein to whatever works out to about 1g per pound of lean bodyweight (depending on what your workouts are like)
    Allow fat to adjust to whatever's left

It's worked for me so far. I'm not exact about hitting my macros, but carbs are an "upper limit" limit, protein is a goal to try to hit, and fat is more or less whatever's left after the other two are factored in.