Squat form check

Options
AlsDonkBoxSquat
AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
My right hip flexor has been killing me, I'm assuming it has to do with my squat form. Feed back would be tremendously appreciated.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ATmI49o4Qg

Replies

• JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    Options
    Looks okay. Your back is bowed a little. It should be straighter. You look down. You should be looking up at a fixed spot.

Hard to tell from the side but it looks like you are twisting a touch. That might be one reason your hip hurts.

Make sure to stretch before/after your leg workouts. You might be becoming inflexible and the contracted muscles could be making your hip flexers hurt.
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    I'm not spotting any big problems either. Here are some hip stretches: http://youtu.be/QGag6jbePk4
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    Its hard to tel a lot from one video but for the most part you look pretty good.

I'd try to sit back a little more because your knees are tracking forward just a bit.
    And arch your lower back harder.
    Because it looks like you're rounding just a bit when you get to the bottom.
    I'd also try to keep my head up a little bit more, if your head is looking down, it's easy to fall forward into a good morning.

You hip flexors could just be tight. I have a lot of hip discomfort throughout the week. Foam roll and work on mobility.
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    Its hard to tel a lot from one video but for the most part you look pretty good.

I'd try to sit back a little more because your knees are tracking forward just a bit.
    And arch your lower back harder.
    Because it looks like you're rounding just a bit when you get to the bottom.
    I'd also try to keep my head up a little bit more, if your head is looking down, it's easy to fall forward into a good morning.

You hip flexors could just be tight. I have a lot of hip discomfort throughout the week. Foam roll and work on mobility.

I agree with the part about her back, but her knees look just fine, and you're supposed to look down.
  • JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    Options
    Looking straight ahead is the limit. IMHO if you look down, that promotes the lifting of your rear end before the rest of your body and you end up doing a good morning vs squat.

I think looking up encourages one to keep a good spine angle and prevents you from bowing your back
  • ZeroWoIf
    ZeroWoIf Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    My right hip flexor has been killing me, I'm assuming it has to do with my squat form. Feed back would be tremendously appreciated.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ATmI49o4Qg

Women have a lower center of gravity and some guys don't understand that. Your form was actually great but you made a common mistake.You need to be starring forward at all times. Your form is better than some of the guys that go to my gym. Keep it up!
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    Options
    This is some awesome critiquing guys, thanks so much. I kept thinking I was looking like a hot mess on top of being hurt, feeling much better now. Ill stretch through my hip flexora and quads more and work on my neutral spine. I have a foam roller, I just need to break it out more often.
  • ZeroWoIf
    Options
    This is some awesome critiquing guys, thanks so much. I kept thinking I was looking like a hot mess on top of being hurt, feeling much better now. Ill stretch through my hip flexora and quads more and work on my neutral spine. I have a foam roller, I just need to break it out more often.

If your hips are hurting when you do squats the best thing to do is stop doing this exercise and let that body part heal. There are other exercises for your quads but none is more complete than the squat lol. You may want to get your hip checked by a professional.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    Options
    I agree with the part about her back, but her knees look just fine, and you're supposed to look down.

Depends who you talk to.
    I guarantee you won't find many 1000 pound squatters that look down.

If you start with you head down, it prevents you from keeping your traps super tight, which can lead to you falling forward in the hole
  • ZeroWoIf
    Options

Depends who you talk to.
    I guarantee you won't find many 1000 pound squatters that look down.

If you start with you head down, it prevents you from keeping your traps super tight, which can lead to you falling forward in the hole

Your neck is suppose to stay straight during a squat. If you are looking down more likely your neck is not straight. If you look forward and only use your eyes to check on your form then you are also ensuring that your neck is straight. The bar should always be on your traps as you mentioned.
  • AlmondTheGreat
    Options
    Your toes are pointed outward, your knees are going over your toes and your going too far down.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dbxxs1PErLQ
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    Your toes are pointed outward

which is fine
    your knees are going over your toes

which is fine
    your going too far down

deeper the better

Did you actually watch the video you posted?
  • ZeroWoIf
    Options
    Sounds like we have a fight here lol. Her squat is fine guys, the only thing that I can really critique is that she needs to keep that neck straight and look forward at all times. That is more of a safety issue really. A full squat is usually a lot better than going halfway like some people in the gym so i commend her for doing that.
  • baptiste565
    baptiste565 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    i was expecting to c a novice but u r real good.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    Looking up or down or straight seems to be a personal opinion thing. I know Rippetoe says to look down to get hip drive but that never worked for me. I prefer to look a bit up as it seems to help keep the tightness in the upper back and keeps the chest up.

The only thing I'd say about the squat form is to really think about hinging from the hips first. Thing about a rope tied around you're waist pulling you back. Otherwise, looks good to me :smile:
  • ilovedeadlifts
    Options
    Your toes are pointed outward
    which is fine
    your knees are going over your toes
    which is fine
    your going too far down
    deeper the better
    Did you actually watch the video you posted?

agreed on 1, and possibly 3.
    But no, your kness shouldn't track out over your toes very much. My shins and knees almost stay perpindicular to the ground.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    The further you're knees are forward the more they have to hinge for the back of you're thigh to reach parellel so it is advantageous to keep them as upright as possible and be able to sit back more and use more hammies/glutes to come back up.
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options

agreed on 1, and possibly 3.
    But no, your kness shouldn't track out over your toes very much. My shins and knees almost stay perpindicular to the ground.

That's because you powerlift, there are 2 type of squat low bar powerlifing style and high bar olympic style. Try doing a high bar olympic style deep squat without your knees coming forward, it's impossible.

squat_back_110526_big.jpg?w=500&h=333
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    Options
    http://lacrossesc.com/should-you-back-squat-or-front-squat/

I actually really like this visual. My goal is low bar, so the far right positioning. I'm fairly certain that I'm getting the low bar low enough as it's off my neck and onto the shelf made by pinching my shoulder blades together. I had been holding it too low and was having huge issues from that with wrist strain and weight increase stalls. I actually apparently have a pretty boney back bacause now that I'm at 150# I'm starting to get bruises.