Exercise

Options
As a 25 year old with Fibro movin again has been a bit difficult. I've found that running is my best bet when taken extremely gradually with LOTS of downtime and regular stretching. Anyone else found things that work well?? I really wanna lose weight and my ultimate goal is to run a half marathon, but slow seems to be the key for my body..

(PS. Dr has me on neurontin for pain maintenance so I'm sure that plays into my ability to move)

Replies

• KarenBoster
    KarenBoster Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    This may sound strange,but I get a lot of my exercise using my Wii. I have Wii Fit Plus and can do aerobics, strength training, yoga or balance games. Some thing on it only last a couple minutes. Others go for longer periods of time and as you improve give you option to go for longer periods of time. I like how versatile it is and that I can stop at any time if I need to.
  • racebelle88
    Options
    I also use my Wii to workout.I have Zumba and I love it.Feels like dancing and burns lots of calories .
  • sazzyp1973
    sazzyp1973 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    exercise bike for me on a fairly low resistance, shortish walks (longer if I can) and yoga. Some days I can do more than others and if I can't do it at all I try not to give myself a hard time.
  • MATremblay
    MATremblay Posts: 6
    Options
    The Dr keeps insisting I swim. I love to swim but I forget my limit, do too much, than it drains me and I am no good for the rest of the day and the next day. I cannot seem to find the balance.
  • MATremblay
    Options
    Just a curious question, does anyone here work full time? I use to until I got too sick with this Fibro and CFS. I only work 3 mornings a week right now, I am hoping to increase if the Dr. allows it.
  • Mandykinz2008
    Mandykinz2008 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I work full time because I have to. I'm 25 and support myself..it's draining but I fight through it. It's helped that my new job is at a desk in an office (I'm a Business Analyst) so it doesn't require much physical work as much as mental. Before this job I was working 2 jobs and that just about killed me (1 full time and 1 part time). My boss now is very understanding and on really bad days I can work from home so that helps. Neurontin is a wonderful thing..
  • sazzyp1973
    Options
    The Dr keeps insisting I swim. I love to swim but I forget my limit, do too much, than it drains me and I am no good for the rest of the day and the next day. I cannot seem to find the balance.

I was advised not to swim as the repetitive motion puts too much strain on the muscles and ligaments. Instead I was told to consider aqua aerobics - which I haven't done yet

I work pretty much full time and it isn't always sat at a desk. I do the hours I can and i aim to do as many as possible for obvious financial (and mental) reasons! Trying to find a balance between the fibro and the osteoarthritis in hands and feet. Its a joy!!
  • MATremblay
    Options
    That is great that you guys work full time. I take Lyrica and cymbalta now. I tried all the other meds and it didn't really help. If it was not for them I would not be up and around. I do not know what is worse some days, the fog or the pain?

That is good to know about the swimming what your doctor said. I tried the aqua-fit but I over did it and was out for 1 1/2 days. But it was fun.

My goal today is to walk about 4.2 km to go pick up my car at the garage and clean the house. Not working today, was suppose to have a doctor appt but was rescheduled. That is good. A no stress day. love it.
  • sazzyp1973
    Options
    I think this Fibro thing is going to take some time to adjust too. I have good and bad days and get frustrated at myself on the bad days if I can't do the things I want to do (stubborn like that!).

Still, it is a learning curve and a work in progress!
  • quiescentaureateserpent
    Options
    I walk every night half an hour to my husbands work. Wait a half hour then walk to the store and by the time we get home it has been flat surface, mountain goat training hills, steep paths etc. I cannot run as I am a bit amply gifted up top and it is not nor has it ever been comfortable.

Walking and housecleaning and drinking lots of water. For us baby steps is the way generally. I am losing weight slowly and will continue to do so.
  • starryol
    starryol Posts: 16
    Options
    A late reply to your post as I've been quite unwell for the past month or so with my fibro. I used to work, loved it,happy but was pushed too hard and did far too much and did everything at a thousand miles and hour! The fibro has stopped me working and I do really miss it, but he supprt on this site has been a great help as have the friends I have made.
    I have been told that a lot of people who have this illness are the same type A personality - is this true?
    Options
    Not sure If I am a type A personality. I guess I will have to hunt down the definition and get back to you. But I do know that I push myself too hard and accepting that I can't do what I used to is very hard. I dislike it and it hurts me when I realize the shortcomings that I have. I considered going back to work but my partner said that I was kind of hurting myself in the long run by giving myself hope of working when it seems that I won't be able to. I mean really who is going to hire me in the UK when there are some days I can barely move from the pain, cannot lift anything heavy, cannot stand for longer than fifteen minutes without pain and sitting hurts and then the pain medications make my memory have problems. It is so hard to accept !

I have worked since I was thirteen years old and it is so hard to accept your shortcomings. To know what you are unable to do. But you know no matter what happens I will never give up. I got myself out of a wheelchair and I will keep fighting the rest of my life.
    Options
    I am definitely a Type A personality. The test result said this.

According to the scientific literature, the Type A Personality construct describes someone who is aggressively involved in a chronic, incessant struggle to achieve more and more in less and less time. The defining characteristics of the Type A Behavior Pattern (TABP) are a strong drive to succeed, hostility, competitiveness, perfectionism, a desire for recognition, wealth and advancement, difficulty talking about feelings, and a sense of urgency and impatience.
    Snapshot Report
    Impatience/Irritability
    Your interactions with others and your day-to-day existence are heavily tinged with impatience and hostility. When you're stressed or frustrated, you may lash out at others or end up stewing in anger or frustration. Your elevated score may put you at risk because a high amount of this aspect of the TABP can not only be extremely harmful to relationships, it is also very damaging to your health. While originally it was thought that global Type A Behavior Pattern was the culprit in coronary heart disease, research now shows that hostility, impatience and the other related traits are likely the real source of the problem. Based on your results here, you may be at an increased risk of heart disease. Keep in mind however, that there are other causes unrelated to the TABP, such as poor diet, lack of exercise, and smoking, among other things.