argh I want it to be official

Options
2»

Replies

• yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    I agree completely - its entirely different needing him to BE your boyfriend and/or your brand of commitment and needing to be allowed to CALL HIM THAT IN PUBLIC. that's the difference I meant.

A commitment doesnt require a title and a title doesnt equal commitment :)
  • JanieJack
    JanieJack Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    That question can be answered simply. Tom can say that they've got a great relationship that works well for both of them. As long as it is said with confidence and certainty, no one is going to ask follow up questions.

To me, that answer sounds like a cop out. Most people would look at the girl and think "oh you poor thing, you're with a guy who doesn't even want to call you his girlfriend"
    Exactly!
    It's just a title. Boyfriend. Why not call it like it is?
    I, personally, think the man in question *IS* calling it like it is. It’s a situation where the young lady feels so insecure about herself that she is willing to put up with a relationship that is not meeting her needs because the guy is hot and being his public girlfriend will make her feel better about herself. OP if I’m wrong, please correct me- and know that all this is being said with love and best wishes for you.

This, IMHO, is a big problem in relationships: One person wants to be in a committed relationship, but does not think s/he is worthy of it, so s/he grasps for any little thing that even pretends to be “a relationship” and then feels even worse when the person s/he’s been with for months (or even years) dumps him/her and suddenly marries “the one.”
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,064 Member
    Options
    It's just a title. Boyfriend. Why not call it like it is?
    I, personally, think the man in question *IS* calling it like it is. It’s a situation where the young lady feels so insecure about herself that she is willing to put up with a relationship that is not meeting her needs because the guy is hot and being his public girlfriend will make her feel better about herself. OP if I’m wrong, please correct me- and know that all this is being said with love and best wishes for you.

This, IMHO, is a big problem in relationships: One person wants to be in a committed relationship, but does not think s/he is worthy of it, so s/he grasps for any little thing that even pretends to be “a relationship” and then feels even worse when the person s/he’s been with for months (or even years) dumps him/her and suddenly marries “the one.”

Oh yeah, I did word that weird - I didn't mean for this instance, but in general. I do agree with what you wrote though.

If you're giving him everything you get in a relationship, and you don't get to be his girlfriend, something that you want, get out of there as fast as you can. There is nothing wrong with asking him to be your boyfriend, but you might not get the answer that you want. But clearly you're not happy right now so I would ask.
  • DMZ_1
    DMZ_1 Posts: 2,889 Member
    Options
    I agree completely - its entirely different needing him to BE your boyfriend and/or your brand of commitment and needing to be allowed to CALL HIM THAT IN PUBLIC. that's the difference I meant.

A commitment doesnt require a title and a title doesnt equal commitment :)

Yes!!

What happens inside the relationship matters more than the "public relations" or outward facing component of it.
  • TheKitsune6
    TheKitsune6 Posts: 5,798 Member
    Options
    Nowhere in the course of this thread is it publicly shared what the relationship of the OP is like.
    As far as all the people saying "Labels are nothing" it's is cute and all, and I get that it's a big thing now to reject labeling and whatnot, but it's not very practical. When you talk about him or introduce him to someone what are you supposed to say?

During an introduction, something like “This is Tom.” can be said. The specifics of the relationship are no one’s business.

Until someone says, "Oh, hi, Tom, are you Jane's boyfriend?"

That question can be answered simply. Tom can say that they've got a great relationship that works well for both of them. As long as it is said with confidence and certainty, no one is going to ask follow up questions.
    Even with strangers it's a simple way to say "I know this guys great looking but he's not on the market" without having to be possessive. Titles and labels serve a purpose in society, they express meaning. It's "Dr. ____" not "Person who spent ten years in school to learn medicine ____" which is a distinguishing factor from "Random person on the street that may or may not be able to cure diseases".

On top of that labels will exist whether we want them to or not. They condense what could be otherwise complicated situations into one easy to say and comprehend form. Labels are not chains of bondage, they are clear simple communication. What's to hate?

I do not discount labels at all. I like them in my own personal life, but it is usually clear in my behavior and communication. The OP's relationship has taken on a different tone than I usually like to have in my own. There's an art to the define the relationship kind of chat. One doesn't want to interrupt the flow of a good thing, but uncertainty can be a bad thing is one allows it to be a bad thing. I don't envy the mindset of the OP at all.

I wasn't talking about the mindset of the OP, I was disagreeing with the peeps that were saying labels are bad/unnecessary. Sure you can use a ton of words and body language to express something... or you can use a predetermined label that doesn't require and elaborate dance. That's all I was saying.

But yes, I do agree, the feelings and the reality of the relationship are more important than anything. I just don't think there's any problem with convenient labels.
  • Darkskinned88
    Darkskinned88 Posts: 1,177 Member
    Options
    Who cares about labels? If you're having a good time together, keep it going and keep it simple.

THIS!!!
  • NCTravellingGirl
    NCTravellingGirl Posts: 717 Member
    Options

I agree with Janie, having made this mistake myself. I was with someone for 8 months. He would sit in my house snuggled up on the couch saying things that I assumed meant we HAD a relationship (but never spoke of), only to find out he had plenty of other action going on and told them we were just sleeping together. Men who are serious don't necessarily need to define everything yet when they don't... it kinda tells you what they're thinking already.

I do think it sounds like a self-esteem issue, OP, and I say that facing the same battle. I let the guy above come back a million times because he was that HOT guy that all the girls in the office wanted (and unbeknownst to me, had). He made me feel good in private, but that's where it ended, and while I recognized it, I deluded myself into thinking SOME attention was better than none, especially since he was wanted by so many others. Funny thing is, when I FINALLY worked on being OK with me and really kicked him to the curb, he came running back a million times begging ME for another chance... funny how it works that way?!
  • porcelain_doll
    porcelain_doll Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options

I usually like what you have to say, but I disagree with this one. I think that answer just begs for more clarification and the person walking away is gonna go, "ooooookay...." and think you're a weirdo.

If a label must be used during introduction and one does not know where the relationship stands, then use "friend." If the other person in the relationship doesn't like it, well, then that is a good time to talk about it and figure out what you are and aren't.

The OP's post reminds me of when I met a guy at Cedar Point when I was about 15. His name was Carlos and he was in the Marines (yep, he was robbing the cradle that day...). He was tall, dark and handsome, and Puerto Rican. He held my hand while walking around the park for the rest of the day and man, did I feel so proud, esp. when I kept catching other girls (and women) checking him out!!! But that's not really relevant here. I just suddenly felt like sharing it. (Maybe Carlos is on MFP somewhere......hmmmmmmm.....)

Like others have said, ask yourself if you want the relationship because you really want the relationship, or because you want the status of a relationship. I know for me, regardless of the hotness factor, if I was seeing the same man for months and not seeing anyone else, and if I was sure he wasn't either, I would have to know 'what we were' as well, and where things were headed.
  • Turtlehurdle
    Turtlehurdle Posts: 412
    Options
    Why don't you ask him? Seriously? Why don't you just be upfront with him!
  • acasey0123
    acasey0123 Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    I feel like its different of what we have vs being in a relationship because he knows that hes not "demanded" to do anything like come over to my apartment when Im not feeling well and I cant call him freaking out at him about something because thats over stepping I feel it
  • TheKitsune6
    Options
    I feel like its different of what we have vs being in a relationship because he knows that hes not "demanded" to do anything like come over to my apartment when Im not feeling well and I cant call him freaking out at him about something because thats over stepping I feel it

Are you demanding and a bully like that?
  • dynamicwon
    dynamicwon Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I learned my lesson on this the hard way dont ever assume what a man is thinking you need to talk to him about it. You are thinking "wow its been for whole months" and he is thiniking "its ONLY been four months" and may not feel commited to you.
  • nolachick
    nolachick Posts: 3,278 Member
    Options
    in my experience whether a guys asks u to be his girl or not, he will introduce u as such if he wants u to be that, his friends will know about u and so will his family.

if its just u two hanging out at ur place and ur friends know him but his friends dont know u then ur prob not his gf.

but just in case....bring it up one day like....someone asked and u werent sure what u were...so where does he think u stand or what does he want u to say or something to that effect.

i dont suggest ultimatums or anything crazy like that lol
  • acasey0123
    Options

are you serious???
  • Prahasaurus
    Prahasaurus Posts: 1,381 Member
    Options
    I understand it's a process but honey, fake it till you make it. There's a difference between humility and low-self esteem.

Another great piece of advice. You've clearly packed a lot of living in those 24 years...

--P
  • TheKitsune6
    Options

are you serious???

What I mean is, if you are demanding someone come over and take care of you because you are sick, or harassing him for not being around enough... that's not the "right" of being in a relationship. Someone should want to do those things for you, and if they don't without any good reason then something is wrong. Being a bully doesn't solve problems like that, it creates them.

When you gave those as examples for why he might not want to be in a relationship, I asked if you are really like that? If you are then reevaluate how you treat people because that's not positive, healthy or loving behavior. If you're not then he has no reason to worry about that.
  • acasey0123
    Options

are you serious???

What I mean is, if you are demanding someone come over and take care of you because you are sick, or harassing him for not being around enough... that's not the "right" of being in a relationship. Someone should want to do those things for you, and if they don't without any good reason then something is wrong. Being a bully doesn't solve problems like that, it creates them.

When you gave those as examples for why he might not want to be in a relationship, I asked if you are really like that? If you are then reevaluate how you treat people because that's not positive, healthy or loving behavior. If you're not then he has no reason to worry about that.

no im not like that
  • TheKitsune6
    Options

are you serious???

no im not like that

Then why did you mention it as something he might be afraid of when it comes to being in a relationship?