running NSV - Bix 7

Options
bethad5
bethad5 Posts: 176 Member
Yesterday was the Bix 7 - a 7 mile road race in Davenport, Iowa, known for the 'battle up Brady' (a very steep hill). This was my first year running the race. I haven't ran outside in over a month, but still did the Bix anyway, with an overall goal of just finishing it.

Yesterday I crossed the finish line in 1:12:41. I ran the entire thing without walking. I am just starting week 8 of reset and truly believe that had I not been 'eating more' for the last (almost!!) two months, there is no way I would have done anywhere near this well. I haven't gotten on the scale and I don't need to - because as I was running yesterday I wasn't thinking about my weight, I was thinking about how strong my legs felt, how good my body felt. It was incredible.

(today I am soooooo sore I can barely walk, but that's another story ;) Definitely taking a much needed rest day today!)

Replies

• jwkime
    jwkime Posts: 37
    Options
    Great NSV and congrats on the Bix!!!! It is only about 40 miles from my house and I've never done it (I'm scared ;) ) , but I have a lot of friends that do. Tough race - nice work!!!!
  • meggyh20
    meggyh20 Posts: 116
    Options
    That's great! Congrats on running the whole way! Amazing what properly fueling your body can do for you. :)
  • Noor13
    Noor13 Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    Wohoooo congrats on finishing the race and on this wonderful NSV.
  • NWCountryGal
    NWCountryGal Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    I can congratulate you with a clear conscience!! Wonderful work and so right about the way you think about the scale. I wish I could just get it through my own head that is really isn't about the scale, it is about the "feeling of good health" throughout your whole body.

I'll be honest here in saying sometimes I want to leave behind those extra calories I need to eat for my size and age. I see people losing tons of pounds and getting into smaller clothes. But I want more than just to see the scale go down so I have to make that choice every day:) I know I will never regret it. It is like the tortoise and the hare:) I want to be the tortoise and be true winner:)

Congrats again sweetie, what a triumph!! Especially conquering that hill yeeeeeeeeeeehaw!! denise
    Yesterday was the Bix 7 - a 7 mile road race in Davenport, Iowa, known for the 'battle up Brady' (a very steep hill). This was my first year running the race. I haven't ran outside in over a month, but still did the Bix anyway, with an overall goal of just finishing it.

Yesterday I crossed the finish line in 1:12:41. I ran the entire thing without walking. I am just starting week 8 of reset and truly believe that had I not been 'eating more' for the last (almost!!) two months, there is no way I would have done anywhere near this well. I haven't gotten on the scale and I don't need to - because as I was running yesterday I wasn't thinking about my weight, I was thinking about how strong my legs felt, how good my body felt. It was incredible.

(today I am soooooo sore I can barely walk, but that's another story ;) Definitely taking a much needed rest day today!)
  • TripleJ3
    TripleJ3 Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    You are amazing! My time was definitely not as good as yours but I did walk and its hard to pass up a huge slip n slide!

Definitely congrats on running the whole thing non-stop! I could tell a difference, too. This year that Brady hill was nothing to run up , yay for EM2WL!
  • SweatpantsRebellion
    SweatpantsRebellion Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    You are amazing! My time was definitely not as good as yours but I did walk and its hard to pass up a huge slip n slide!

Definitely congrats on running the whole thing non-stop! I could tell a difference, too. This year that Brady hill was nothing to run up , yay for EM2WL!

Haha - that slip and slide looked fun!

CONGRATS!!! Wasn't it an awesome race. I had a blast! You did amazing!
  • Raynn1
    Raynn1 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    Congrats!!!!
  • crystalwelshroberts
    crystalwelshroberts Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    It is amazing what eating more does for the body! I did a triathalon this month and it was the first one I have ever felt strong finishing. My training didn't change from the others but my eating did. I TOTALLY know how you felt. It is wonderful feeling so great after such a huge effort. Congrats!
  • CharliesAngel1
    CharliesAngel1 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Nicely done! Way to go! That's a huge accomplishment! *high five*
  • TripleJ3
    TripleJ3 Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    @jwkime, you should definitely do it next year! I think this was my 4th time and even I get a little nervous about it. This year I wasn't even able to do the practice runs so I was really scared that I could do the first half....but then what? But the crowd is so amazing and the adrenaline of the day really motivates you. I always run longer than I do training. I had actually stopped training the first week of July and still ran better than I normally do.

You won't regret it!

@Sweatpants, I logged on that morning while eating my pre-run snack and can't believe you were up that early already! I was wiped out the rest of the day :yawn: Great job to you, too!
  • geordiegirl27
    geordiegirl27 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    fantastic running :) and I can totally agree with you, having had a similar NSV on a hard run last week with the dogs. Its a fab feeling to knw you're giving your body what it needs to support you in what you love.

Keep up the fantastic work.

now if I could just forget at the scales too I'd be happy.....
  • Shells06
    Shells06 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Omg I live near there and have worked at the Bix before when I was a massage therapist! Small world :smile: . Congrats to you!!!