did you do cardio when you started stage 1?

hey girls! i just got to the part in the book that is detailing the first stage of work out's, and it says that cardio is optional on non-weight days. i'm just wondering how many ladies did cardio? how much, and what did you do?
is it going to be bad if i do my 3 weight days in a row? tuesday, wednesday, and thursday are the most convenient days for me to use the weight room at the gym... is that bad?

thanks for the help!:heart:

Replies

• stfriend
    stfriend Posts: 256 Member
    I've got 4 or 5 workouts left in stage 1. I've been doing cardio, mostly walking with a little jogging thrown in. I think you're supposed to rest at least a day in between in order to heal. I don't have my book in front of me but I seem to recall that.
  • stonea22
    stonea22 Posts: 46
    I still do cardio 4-6 days a week.
  • 1SlimShaylee
    1SlimShaylee Posts: 204
    you are right, it does say that you are suppose to take a rest day in between, but i was just wondering if it is super detrimental if you don't? i can try to rearrange my schedule toincorporate rest days, it is justgh because of my husbands work and school schedule :-/
  • TeslaJoule
    TeslaJoule Posts: 62 Member
    They suggested in the book that you have a rest day in between weights days, but you can always try 3 days in a row and see how you feel. You can also just do Tuesday, Thursday, or you could do T, Th, Sat or T, TH, Sun. There's lots of options to make it work! I have to have the non-weight days because I'm exhausted! I went with the book and did yoga on my non-weight days to start, but I got really bored and my arms didn't get enough of a break. I also need the cardio to clear my head and I love the sweat of it. :) I think the point is just not to over do it. If you're truly focusing on your weights, then you shouldn't be training for say, a marathon because it would be counter productive, but a few miles (like less than 5/day) a week, or zumba, or whatever cardio makes you happy should be just fine for stage one. Just find what works for you. :) Good luck!!!
  • natini
    natini Posts: 347 Member
    I would suggest Tuesday and Thursday as your weight days. Maybe you can throw in a Saturday or Sunday to get your 3rd day in. I wouldn't suggest your weight days back to back. Your muscles need a rest to repair. I take spin classes two days a week for my cardio. I take two days off from the gym completely.
  • jnh17
    jnh17 Posts: 838 Member
    Lifting 3 days in a row is just not really possible if you're really pushing your weights.

As far as cardio, I have done 0 extra cardio in this program b/c I wasn't sure exactly what my body needed specifically in terms of rest. I'd lost a TON of muscle through 2 back to back pregnancies and even though I still had some bf% to lose, I needed the muscle foundation. Plus, I was a cardio addict (even though I hated it) and thought cold turkey was best for my addiction. Now looking back, I would've added some HIIT twice a week in Stage 1 -- at least until the 2 sets went to 3 sets.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    I'm a group fit instructor so I couldn't give up the cardio. If you only have 3 consecutive days per week to workout, then only lift 2 days a week. It is essential that you have a rest day, otherwise you increase the likelihood of injury and decrease the likelihood of progressing in loads.
  • athletemcgoo
    athletemcgoo Posts: 23 Member
    I'm a group fit instructor so I couldn't give up the cardio. If you only have 3 consecutive days per week to workout, then only lift 2 days a week. It is essential that you have a rest day, otherwise you increase the likelihood of injury and decrease the likelihood of progressing in loads.

THIS! I think you'll be surprised by how much your body really needs the rest/repair in between lifting. I'm just finishing Stage 5 now, and there have been lots of days where I planned to take only one day off between lifting and NEEDED two (sometimes three) days.

I have continued to do cardio throughout . . . . on each lifting day I run on the treadmill for a mile/12 minutes to warm up. In Stage One I then got back on the treadmill after lifting and either walked or ran, or sometimes did intervals. On non-lifing days I try to do low-impact cardio, like walking, jogging/walking outside, yoga, cardio DVD, biking . . . . I've tried to pick things that will get my heart rate up without interferring with the resting required from my lifting days.
  • karensoxfan
    karensoxfan Posts: 902 Member
    I do cardio on my non-lifting days too, mostly walking, some jogging, and more often than anything, elliptical.

I would NOT lift 3 days consecutively though. I'm no expert, but I'd be very worried about injury doing that. The whole point of lifting is to work your muscles hard, and as they recover from those tiny tears, they grow bigger. If you don't rest them, you're just going to be working damaged muscles without ever letting them heal.

If you really want to do 3 days in a row, I'd check with your Dr. first, or at least a trainer you trust. Maybe another plan that has you working different muscles on different days would work out better for you?