How quickly does the carb flu set in??

Options
twaltemade
twaltemade Posts: 68 Member
I am on day 2 and woke up with a nasty migraine that I cant shake. Is this possibly the start of the carb flu, or is it too early for that??

Replies

• Kymmu
    Kymmu Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    It might depend on how carb dependent you were before.
    I wasn't very high on the carbs any way and it took me a month to change over. I would way the cravings were there day one, by the second and third week I was a bit 'grumpy'. I never felt the headaches or illness though.
    It's been over a year and a half for me now.
    If I eat gluten now I feel like I have a tummy bug for 24 hrs.
    So it's amazing how you become sensitive to the bad stuff when you get 'clean'.
    Don't try to drop too many things at once- drop one thing a week- i.e. bread this week, breakfast cereal the next. etc.
    Google new recipes and get creative!
    Good luck and hang in there.
  • Cerebrus189
    Cerebrus189 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I am on day 2 and woke up with a nasty migraine that I cant shake. Is this possibly the start of the carb flu, or is it too early for that??

Nope it's definitely not too early for it. It lasts about a week, with the first day being the best day. My day 6 or 7, you might still be tired. I was incredibly bread/sugar/bad carb addicted, so I had a nasty carb flu. Even though people will warn you about it, it feels like hell nonetheless. Just stick with it, stay strong, drink water and eat fruit to get through it. Sleep when you need to also.
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    yeah. days 2-4 can be nasty if you've never gone into ketosis before. headaches, tired, irritable.

i'm in and out so often that my body doesn't even notice! and i get into it a lot faster than when i started.
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    i peeked at your diary.

eat more veggies! :P
  • twaltemade
    Options
    Thanks!! Hopefully day 3 will be better. I will definitely add some veggies up to the 20g of carbs level.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    Took 5 days, lasted 3. I'm eating 100-150 carbs though.
  • KBGirts
    KBGirts Posts: 882 Member
    Options
    My carb flu started day 2 as well. Certainly not too early. The headache stage went away after day 4, but I would still have a general feeling of malaise for a while.
  • twaltemade
    Options
    Do you think that exercise to burn up glycogen will speed up the carb flu or make it worse? If i can burn up the glycogen, I'm wondering if the body will move a little faster to start converting fat and protein. Seeing different opinions out there.

Very surprised to see an actual migraine coming out of this...I get them maybe 2-3 times per year...usually stress related.

C'mon day 4!!!
  • dmperiman
    dmperiman Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I literally went through withdrawals for 3 days. I stayed in bed in a dark room and I was MEAN. My husband left me alone and threw jerky and nuts at me for fear I would bite his hand off. Coffee with heavy cream really helped.

Good luck
  • SweetxCatastrophe
    SweetxCatastrophe Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    If you have the energy to exercise, I'd say go for it. The very first time I went through it, it lasted about a week and I felt like I'd been hit by a truck. If you have the energy, it might in fact help. You never know if you don't try :)
  • twaltemade
    Options
    Making progress...

239 carbs on Thursday before I started

Day 1 - easy. 24 carbs, but probably too much protein.

Day 2 - 19g of carbs.brutal migraine, sour mood, and sleeplessness. Did manage to exercise, but did not seem to help (headache got worse).

Day 3 - 13g of carbs. very very slight headache and no energy...but good mood

Day 4 (tomorrow). - scheduled workout with trainer for 9am....hope the energy shows up tomorrow.

I dont have ketostix yet, but I have not noticed any of the ketosis indicators yet like foul breath except for excessive thirst.
  • AmIhealthyyet
    AmIhealthyyet Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Don't up your carbs just to feel better, it just delays the great results that are sure to follow eating low carb and high fat/protein! Just my feelings!