Not a half - but a definite running NSV - and a race recap!

Options
**Copying this from a different forum that I'm on. FYI - EM2WL stands for Eat More To Weight Less**

I was out of town yesterday, so I've just now been home to update on yesterday morning's race.

Well, the night before I didn't sleep well as I was so nervous about oversleeping. In order to get where we needed to go and pick up my packet in time to be ready for the race, we woke up at 4:00am. Yikes! We dropped our littlest one off with big brother and grandma and grandpa and headed out for an hour long drive. I was so nervous because I was sooooo tired on the way there. Well, it took us forever to find a parking spot and to figure out the race packet pick-up location. So by the time we knew where we were going it was roughly 7:15am and packet pick-up ended at 7:30am. The nice thing about that situation is that it really woke me up and got my blood pumping. I got my packet in time and got ready to go. I then found my gate for entry into the race (I registered into the slowest running group right ahead of the walkers). There were TONS of people there. This was my first race that was huge. My 5k in June was in my hometown and very small by comparison. The announcer was talking and I couldn't make out a word over the buzz of the crowd. I waited and waited to start, nervously thinking about the seven miles and two hills that lay ahead. I really didn't have an opportunity to train on hills. There aren't really any significant ones in our town. So I just figured the adrenaline would carry me through the hills. I was also hoping the adrenaline would help with the mileage. My longest run so far had only been six miles. Also, July has been my most inconsistent training month due to a variety of reasons - heat and fatigue being the most prominent. The buzz increased in volume as the starting time approached. And then a hush. I could've heard a pin drop as the National Anthem rang out over the speaker. Even after the start, I still had to wait. There were so many participants that I was actually quite a ways back from the starting line. It probably took me roughly 5-10 minutes to get to the starting line - I walked that part! And then my shoes hit the start line and the timer. And then it was on. The first third of a mile was a 5% grade hill. Then we continued on. It was a combination of flat, slight descents, bigger descents, slight inclines, and the two huge inclines. It was an out and back route. So of course we started seeing the winners coming back as my pace group was in between mile 1 and 2! As I got closer and closer to mile two I remember thinking "I must've missed the mile 2 banner. I KNOW I've been running for more than a mile since the mile 1 banner. I bet I'll be coming up on the mile 3 banner soon." A few minutes after that thought - I saw it - the mile 2 banner! My legs and my brain both kind of went "Uh oh" at that point. But luckily the next few miles proved easier. And so it went on. There were some really rough patches interlaced with some easier patches where I was able to maintain a good rhythm. The people who came to see the race were amazing. Also, since we were running much of the race on a residential street, people had their sprinklers pointed towards the road. Eager kids stood by eagerly with their water guns spraying any racer that gave them permission - I was MORE than happy to accept! The support and music was uplifting and amazing. The second big hill was close to the turnaround point for the route. It was TOUGH. I was definitely tired. It was a much shorter hill than the first but it was steeper and it felt a lot harder! But I pushed. I did not let my legs quit. I've heard a saying several times. I think it applies to running as well as strength training and many other physical endeavors. "Your mind will give out before your legs do." It's so true. It was amazing to see people in their 70's breezing past me. It didn't make me feel discouraged at all. In fact, I felt rather encouraged, thinking that I can be in that sort of physical shape when I'm in my 70's! I remember reaching the halfway point and seeing the sign that said "You're halfway there!" and thinking "Oh dear - only halfway?" But then I thought "Well, that means I pretty much just have a 5k left. I can do that!" The volunteers were amazing. Sweet relief flooded me everytime I saw a group of them with their outstretched hands offering cups of water. I did think it a little ironic that the cups said McDonalds - haha - but I wasn't about to question the source in that moment! I remember finally making it to the street where the race began. I saw it up ahead and my eyes started to tear up. I still haven't decided if that was more due to pride or relief. But I knew once i hit that street I was on my last mile and much of it was downhill. I really had to push through to the finish line. I was definitely exhausted. My feet were aching and my inner thighs were on fire from running hills. But my mind held out over my body and I pushed. And then I crossed the line. I saw my husband whose encouragement for such endeavors I could not do without! He was beaming at me with pride. It was such a wonderful feeling to know that I'd seen the race through to completion. I ran the whole thing and I had energy left in the end for a last push to finish strong. Afterwards I walked a bit to get my heart rate down and cool my body down. But I must admit that it was sweet relief to sit and rest my feet. I was so sad when I had to get back up to walk to the car to go home. My body protested every step of the way. One day later and I definitely still have some soreness in my lower body, but I will be ready to get back at training in a few days. What I love is that my journey has evolved. Yes I still want to lose weight and get to a healthier body composition. But now I'm proud of my body. I'm proud of what I have trained myself to do with my body. I love that my body rewards me with performance when I train it properly. And of course I have to mention that I believe this is also possible because I'm feeding it properly. I love that with EM2WL I get to eat the proper amount of food so that I can accomplish such amazing things. So now I have goals that are outside of weight loss - goals that have to do with physical performance and athleticism. It's hard for me to wrap my brain around that sometimes considering I was always the one who was never good at sports growing up. I wanted to melt into the floor during picking teams at gym class. I attempted soccer club in high school (there were no try outs, so they had to let me in) and I would run from the ball when it came my way so that I wouldn't screw it up. Anyways, I'm rambling on and on, but I now believe that I can be an athlete in my own way. And as much as I'd love for my body to be shaped differently right now, I know that will come in time as I continue on this path as long as I train and feed my body properly and patiently trust in the process.

Replies

• maura1110
    maura1110 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    That is so awesome - congratulations!!! It is such an amazing feeling to complete a run longer than you've ever run before. There is no other feeling like it . Keep it up! :)
  • sakamanojr
    sakamanojr Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your race but also such a great attitude. You are doing great things, keep up the awesome work and results
  • montana_girl
    montana_girl Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    Way to go! Love your recap -- reminds me so much of my first long distance race! Congrats on finishing! :flowerforyou:
  • sissamae
    sissamae Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Great job!!! It's amazing what our bodies are capable of when we stop listening to the voice in our head that says we can't! Awesome job!!
  • natalie412
    natalie412 Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Great job and awesome recap! Thanks for sharing.