Safe for a beginner to do alone?

Options
Hi all! I've been reading up on NR for a while and just got the book over the weekend. I'm only a few chapters in but hope to finish reading this week.

I've never really lifted before - the most "weight training" I've done is with portions of P90X and even with that I mostly use resistance bands. So my knowledge of the weights in the gym is pretty slim.

I do not belong to a gym but have access to one at work that has all of the equipment I should need. I've tried getting one of my coworkers to start coming with me but no luck so far. Would you recommend starting out alone? Typically when I'm at the gym doing cardio there are a couple of people in and out, but nobody I'd feel comfortable asking for assistance. And there are no trainers or staff. Some days I'm completely alone in the gym the whole time I'm there. I feel like the fact that I'm even asking means I probably shouldn't, but with my lack of experience do you feel like it's safe for me to start these workouts on my own?

Replies

• jenniet04
    jenniet04 Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    If you are comfortable starting on your own, I say go for it. You can use youtube to preview all the exercises to see how they're supposed to be done so you are even more comfortable with them. Otherwise you could contact a local gym and see about just paying for one personal training session to go over all the moves. You should be able to do that without being a member.
  • loricolwill
    loricolwill Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I think you will be fine. Does the gym at least have mirrors where you can check your form? While I work out at a gym and there are lots of people around, I workout by myself. The weights that you will be starting with probably won't be heavy enough to be dangerous should your form fail.
  • AABru
    AABru Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    I agree with the other ladies. You can do it by yourself. Start with a lower weight until the form feels right (or until someone can check you form). I like the idea that Jennie had to get ONE session with a trainer...
  • karensoxfan
    karensoxfan Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    I was a beginner when I started too (I still am, really, even though I'm done with stage 3), and I do the workouts alone. Start small, and build on that every time, if you can. When I first squatted in stage 1, workout A1, it was body weight only, and my form still probably wasn't great, but I stayed with it until my form was right, then added the bar, then started adding plates. There are no moves that I've seen so far where you could get "trapped" or hurt just by virtue of working out by yourself.
  • hypallage
    hypallage Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    I was a beginner when I started, am working out at home in general but did have a session with a trainer after a few weeks just to check my form (it was fine), got it from looking at the pics in the book & the odd youtube clip