Fitbit

Options
KahuNZ
KahuNZ Posts: 401 Member
When any of you kiwis get yourself a Fitbit there is a group for us on the Fitbit site - follow the link as you can't search the groups as yet.

http://www.fitbit.com/group/229P6Q

Replies

• KahuNZ
    Options
    In case you guys don't know, there's a great little add-on developed by a third party:
    The Fitbit Low Battery Notifier. Enter your info and you'll get an email when your battery is nearing low, as a reminder to charge. I use it, and it works great!
    I don't necessarily log on to the Fitbit site everyday to see my battery level so by being sent an email telling me my battery is low solves this problem.

http://fitbit.jcs.org/
  • marsoe
    marsoe Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    They sure look cool - it'd be great to increase the accuracy of my exercise calories, but too expensive for me
    :(
  • jamesg2012
    jamesg2012 Posts: 25
    Options
    I saw them in noel leemings today for $149. they look really good will have to start saving up now
  • KahuNZ
    Options
    Just like to say I did over 30,000 steps yesterday and earned a badge! This is the most I have done in a day since owning my Fitbit. Did a 70min run but the majority was walking the rest of the day.
  • Baroness
    Baroness Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the link. I have just joined and sent out friend requests to everyone :)
  • ociiana
    ociiana Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hi all!! Just bought a fitbit!! Rebel sport now stock them!! Will try it out as soon as I can get my sick kids better and outdoors!! Was $159. Am wondering if people find it Accurate as an exercise measure for normal body movement and steps throughout the day or whether - with that buffer gone the weight loss has slowed?
  • KahuNZ
    Options
    Hi all!! Just bought a fitbit!! Rebel sport now stock them!! Will try it out as soon as I can get my sick kids better and outdoors!! Was $159. Am wondering if people find it Accurate as an exercise measure for normal body movement and steps throughout the day or whether - with that buffer gone the weight loss has slowed?
    Not quite sure what you are asking here. The fitbit only works for walking/running, not for any upper body work. Its a motivating tool to get you to do more steps or floors - just generally more active. Don't forget to join the NZ group on the Fitbit site.
  • ociiana
    ociiana Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hi kahu. Thx for yr reply. What I mean is that I haven fitbit up and running but everyday it gives me quite a significant number of extra calories of the "fitbit adjustment" to spend. Just for my normal day to day activities (excluding any specific exercise). I'm sure if I ate all those calories I Woukd pack ON weight. I went in and changed my goals to make my initial calorie intake 200 less than it was just a wk before buying my fitbit but even so it gives me such a lot of calories. For example yesterday it gave me 491 extra calories to use and all I did was wander around the house, housework, play with kids etc. I never left the section!! So just wondering how accurate u r finding it in regards to those calories as far as continuing to lose weight goes? All my stats are correct , weight, age, gender etc.
  • KahuNZ
    Options
    @ociiana
    That happened to me as well and I used to delete them before I added my exercise. Now my settings are correct (on both sites) I never get adjustments.
    This is from another MFP person on the Fitbit group who explains it quite well.....

You only get a Fitbit adjustment when you are estimated to burn more than what MFP intended you to according to your activity level. If you go to My Home-Goals, on the right side of the page it will tell you how many calories you are expected to burn During Normal Daily Activity. When Fitbit estimates you will burn more than this in a day, you get a Fitbit Adjustment. Because Fitbit is recalculating all day, you may notice an adjustment at one point in the day that is gone later.

If you are way under this number every day, your activity level is too high.
    If you are always getting Fitbit adjustments, your activity level is too low.

Hope this helps
  • KahuNZ
    Options
    A challenge for NZ fitbitters....

Anyone interested in a little challenge? How about climbing the worlds tallest building – Burj Khalifa in Dubai at 828 metres.

The idea is each kilometre you do is equal to 1 metre of the tower. If you do 100 km’s a week it will take just over 8 weeks. (I don't do this each week, its just a figure)

I have created a spreadsheet where you can add your name and each week add the total kilometres. If there is enough interest we can start Monday 10th Dec. You will have to have a Hotmail account as the group/spreadsheet is in ‘Skydrive’ a Microsoft online document sharing and editing program.

I have never done this before online so hopefully it will work ok. First you need to send me your Hotmail email address via a message. I will then send you an invite to join.( If worried about using your personal email address, you can just make one up for this purpose but it has to be a Hotmail account to access the spreadsheet).

The group on Skydrive is called FitbitNZ. I also have a spreadsheet that you can enter your daily kilometres and it will add up the week for you automatically. If you want that spreadsheet I can email you directly with that and you can save it to your computer.

Hope you will join me in this challenge – you can look at it as a race to the top or just joining in a challenge to complete it.
  • jordyninja25
    jordyninja25 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Sounds great, I'm in!
  • mcbellnz
    mcbellnz Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    My workmate got a fitbit for his birthday - they look like neat little gadgets! I like how it can track your sleep, I would be greatly interested to see my own stats.

I will have to get moving and see some results so that I can reward myself with one of these.