Acne after cleaning up diet?

Options
CharliesAngel1
CharliesAngel1 Posts: 70 Member
Hello my fellow EM2WL peeps!

So....I've really cleaned up my diet in the past 5 weeks-ever since beginning EM2WL. I'd say I eat clean 90-95% of the time. Both my husband and I have noticed an increase of acne, which seems like the total opposite of what SHOULD happen. Right? Is this maybe my body detoxing through my skin, or what the??? Anybody else experience this? I did some google searches on the topic but didn't really find what I was looking for.

Replies

• bluemist248
    bluemist248 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I've noticed this myself! I wasn't sure if it was because I've swapped to a different method of BC though (implant to pill) or if it had something to do with my diet.
  • GinaRicky
    GinaRicky Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Could be like a detoxing since you are eating so much better now.
  • evilmonkee
    evilmonkee Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    The exact same thing happened to me too. I looked like a tween for 2 months, until my body got used to it. Now everything is back to normal, and my skin looks better than ever.
    It does get better, it just takes some time.
    If you recently started working out, make sure you use a gentle cleanser before and after you work out, so you don't rub make up and dirt into your face while you work out. Avoid the gym towels- if you need something to wipe your face at the gym, bring your own soft towel or a bandana.
    Make sure you stay hydrated, fight the urge to use really harsh products (mild salicylic acid should do the trick), moisturize, and be patient.
  • CharliesAngel1
    CharliesAngel1 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    The exact same thing happened to me too. I looked like a tween for 2 months, until my body got used to it. Now everything is back to normal, and my skin looks better than ever.
    It does get better, it just takes some time.
    If you recently started working out, make sure you use a gentle cleanser before and after you work out, so you don't rub make up and dirt into your face while you work out. Avoid the gym towels- if you need something to wipe your face at the gym, bring your own soft towel or a bandana.
    Make sure you stay hydrated, fight the urge to use really harsh products (mild salicylic acid should do the trick), moisturize, and be patient.

Thanks! I'm glad to see I'm not the only one! I drink probably 20+ glasses of water a day, but for sure should wash the makeup off my face prior to workouts. Not sure that will help my husband, though! lol! I can seen there is a youthful glow just beneath the tween face. :-) During all my transitions, I also dumped my diet soda habit. Looking forward to the benefits!
  • MrsSki38
    MrsSki38 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I had this too and started using Proactiv until everything settled down because it was bad and didn't appear to be settling down. My skin is much happier these days!! And the good thing....I've noticed I break out if I drink the occasional soda. Keeps me accountable and I stay far away from soda.
  • sl1ngsh0t
    sl1ngsh0t Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Are you eating more dairy (e.g. greek yogurt, etc)? if so, dairy aggravates acne.