Cheese & wine whine

Options
IselaCB
IselaCB Posts: 14 Member
Since I got on MFP 10 days ago and got serious about my diet again, I've mostly cut out cheese. I cut out dairy in the past with good results, but it always finds it's way back in. Well last night I made a super yummy dinner that used a fairly decent amount of cheddar cheese. While all my numbers looked good at the end of the day, I woke up with some bloat. Wahhh!! I know it's good to see the immediate negative effect so I know for the future...but it made me sad. I'm not a cheese fanatic, but I do enjoy it here & there. Just gotta be ready for the consequences I guess. Luckily I don't have the same issue with full fat greek yogurt. :)

Now to my wine whine...I enjoy a glass or two in the evenings...but I'm slowly realizing it's not worth it. I'm just feeling dehydrated and not good, even with just a couple of glasses! It's like a hangover with no fun before it! Maybe it's time to switch to chamomile tea in the evenings? Again, wahhhh!

While I feel better with these changes...it's just hard...as I'm sure you all understand.
OK, whine over. Thanks for reading :)

Replies

• Cerebrus189
    Cerebrus189 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Cheese does the same thing to me, so when I buy it, I make sure to limit myself now throughout the week. I tried giving up cheese and after 3 weeks, I caved in. The last time I committed to strict Paleo, I was successful for about 2 hours before I gave in and had my bulletproof coffee with butter and half & half.

Wine is one of those things that is not frowned upon when done occasionally, but it definitely shouldn't be every night. :( That's gonna be something you'll have to address and change. I like to have a cup of coffee occasionally at night but it affects my water weight (due to dehydration) and my sleep patterns too, of course. So I have to fight the urge to stay away from that.

We all have our triggers :)
  • bacamacho
    bacamacho Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    I feel ya! Actually, for me it was cutting loose with some pancakes and a grande mocha that had me stuck in the bathroom. Wrecked havoc on my gut! With the wine, I've saved it for the nights before my rest days, but I'm finding I feel like crud the next day. I think I'll be find without pancakes and grande mocha, but I love my wine reward. I love to chill with a book and some wine. The whole combo is such a treat.
  • spirit80
    spirit80 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Yes alcohol will dehydrate you. Trust me I have my fair share, The only solution that works for me is to drink lots water with your cocktails. At a minimum a glass of water per drink if not two waters to one drink. Enjoy and live life. That's why you are here.
  • onehotmama66
    Options
    I never knew cheese did that? I guess I will have to pay special attention to it. I will have a couple of string cheese or a sprinkling of shredded cheddar on my scrambled eggs sometimes. Maybe that's why i have been having some stomach aches? Thanks for informing me!
  • allyjoy83
    allyjoy83 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    So ... I LOVE cheese, and haven't given it up and don't plan to, either. I have drastically cut down on the amount of cheese I consume, and dairy is supposed to create inflammation, but honestly, I haven't noticed much difference. What I have noticed is that I don't really care for the taste of American or Cheddar cheese any more, and that my main sources of dairy are greek yogurt (which is paleo), ricotta cheese, mozarella. According to Mark's Daily Apple, cheese ain't as bad as we think.

Edit: link didn't work. fixed - http://www.marksdailyapple.com/cheese-unhealthy/#axzz227toCwWh
  • IselaCB
    IselaCB Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Thanks for being sympathetic to the wine whine. I figure I can skip it or make room for it in my day. At this point, I'm more prepared to make room for it. I know, sounds lushy...but I like my wine.
    As for the cheese, most dairys are OK for me. Greek yogurt, cottage cheese etc are usually fine. It's the cheddar and straight up milk that does me bad. I figure the occasional cheddar is cool as long as I'm not counting on a flat stomach the next day, since my weight doesn't seem to be bothered by it.
    I guess we all just learn what does what to our bodies! I like that I know, it's better than just eating whatever whenever and wondering why I feel the way I do. At least now I know and am prepared for the consequences.
    Off to Disneyland...let's hope I don't come hope back to my beginning weight!