how soon should i be able to run without rest days?

Options
pagingdoctork
pagingdoctork Posts: 40 Member
I've been doing c25k for about 3 months now, but I'm only on week 5 (i've been doing it wrong all this time, haha). i know c25k says you should definitely take days off to rest, but i've been running for a while now and i really love it... i don't want to rest!

would it be detrimental to run daily instead of taking the rests off?

Replies

• KGTraxler
    KGTraxler Posts: 144
    Options
    it can't hurt to try it. i say go ahead; there are people who run back to back days. if it's too much for you, you'll know.
  • giggles7706
    giggles7706 Posts: 1,491 Member
    Options
    I've been curious about this as well. I'm about to start week 7 and though I do want to complete the program before I attempt it, it kinda scares me due to knee and joint issues. But as the above poster has said, I think the best way to find out would be to just try it and see how your body responds to it. When I complete the program, I am definitely gonna give it a whirl - just a bit nervous about doing it.
  • GypsyWillow22
    GypsyWillow22 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I hope that I can run 30 min every day after I finish the program. But I'm on Week 5 and I'm tempted to start running every day. What day are you on? I'm on day 2 and I'm scared to start day 3.
  • darkling_glory
    darkling_glory Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    My husband runs every day. He says there's no reason I shouldn't be able to run everyday and that when my program is over he thinks I should run whenever I feel like. He's crazy though. Sometimes he runs "TWICE" a day.
  • simplyeater
    simplyeater Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I always took the rest days in between runs during C25K. My biggest concern was injury. I too LOVED running and the thought of getting hurt and not being able to keep going made me cautious. Now I am looking at 10K training plans and some have consecutive running days and some don't. All of them have at least 2 rest days a week though.
  • lovekohl
    lovekohl Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I'm not an expert, but I believe that the rest days in the C25K program are there because this program is designed for people who aren't avid runners. I agree with other replies that there's no harm in trying, but don't be surprised if it's too much for you. I might try to start with pretty easy runs between the C25K workouts, like maybe repeat a day twice or just do an easy 5 min run, 3 min walk pattern for two or three cycles on the off days. GL!
  • aldousmom
    aldousmom Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Most people, even experienced runners, take at least one day off per week. If you injure yourself from over-training, you will be STUCK with a lot more days off than you have now. I totally get the honeymoon enthusiasm, btdt. but, if you can, always do some other rigorous exercise on your other days. You really will gain nothing by running more and put yourself at risk, instead.

Even after running several years, I still notice an improvement in strength and endurance after a good rest day. And, I only just worked up to running 6 days per week. I do weight lifting, boot camp, and yoga, too, so there are three days per week when I have two work outs.

What does your cross training consist of? the underlying cause of much injury,along with inadequate rest, is lack of core strength, esp in people new to exercise. Do yourself a big favor and treat yourself kindly. You'll be well rewarded for it. Good luck!

"Another reason why rest days are so important to runners is they allow the runner to not only recover but also improve. It is important to realize rest days are when improvements are actually made as opposed to during the days when the runner is training. This is because the training process breaks down the muscle fibers while the rest days allow the muscles to have time to repair and strengthen. When this happens speed, endurance and strength are all improved. Therefore, rest days are absolutely necessary for a runner to realize the payoff for all of his hard work." from this link http://www.therunnersguide.com/rest/