Hey All, Looking for Maintenance Palls

Options
hardkitty
hardkitty Posts: 25 Member
hi everybody I'm new to the group and news maintaining and I'm looking for new friends who are doing the same.

I'm 5"8' and I now weigh around 133 lbs or thereabouts. originally I had gone as low as 127lbs but I looked anorexic and bony so I've decided to put a few pounds back on. Now I'm at my ideal weight I'm struggling to find the right mindset to keep maintenance of my current weight.

I've always been great working towards goals but now I don't have a particular set goals other than to stay where I am it seems quite tough. it seems that eating unhealthily to make up my extra calories actually makes me hungrier in the long-run even though I'm eating more. It's so strange but when I was dieting I was never hungry and now I've stopped I'm incredibly hungry.

Looking forward to getting support from active members

Cat xxx

Replies

• quietHiker
    quietHiker Posts: 1,442 Member
    Options
    Hello Cat!

I'm right there with you! I'm 5'6-ish" and currently at 125lbs. My goal weight was 128 lbs, and during my maintenance mode I have since lost 3 lbs...so obviously I'm not maintaining very well and I could also use the support if you want to friend me :)

For me it's a big mental thing...even losing weight (started on Feb 7th and hit goal weight on May 21st) I had a hard time getting to my calorie goal for the day because it scared me to go over....now It's a daily struggle to push my calories up higher and higher. I try to do it with healthy foods, but then after I eat, my exercise side of my mind says I need to workout because I'm still in that "need to get to goal weight" frame of mind.

I've always been pretty good at goals too...so I've tried to create new goals like strength training goals. Maybe this will help you too.

I hope you have a great day! and welcome to Maintenance land! :)
  • FluffyDogsRule
    FluffyDogsRule Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    hi! i'll friend you! i'm in the same boat as you...what do i do now that i've met my goal?? i'm trying to set goals for toning and building a little muscle...just a little...i'm not actually trying to gain weight. i've been maintaining for about 3 months now, so not long, but it has gotten easier and more fun. focusing on exercise and not food so much has helped. :)
  • IAmJeanaK
    IAmJeanaK Posts: 43
    Options
    I am in maintenance mode also. Add me too if you all would like too. Maintaining is kinna a lil scarier then actually losing the weight lol
  • MeRoBi
    MeRoBi Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Hi all, I just joined the group. Although I adore all my MFP friends, I think I need some who understand where I'm at right now. Like some of you, I've always been relatively successful losing the weight, but keeping it off long term has been problematic for me. Looking for some friends who understand the "new challenges" of keeping the weight off.
  • mirthegeologist
    mirthegeologist Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your weight loss and welcome to maintenance! I find that I regularly monitor my weight to make sure that I am within 2 lbs of my goal. If I am more than 2 lbs over, I pay close attention to portion sizes and what I am eating; if I am below my goal weight, I will tend to regain the weight subconciously by having treats more frequently, eating larger portion sizes, or exercising less vigorously. It's a balance--I try not to worry about what the scale says any given day, as long as it is around my goal weight.

Good luck!
  • themommie
    themommie Posts: 5,013 Member
    Options
    I am in the same boat. I just reached my goal weight in May, maintenance for me is scary, I know how to lose weight it is the maintaning part that is hard. It is scary, I dont want to ever go back to where i was, health wise I was a mess , not really livinng. It helps to have others who are in the same boat. Together we can figure this out
  • lornathewizzard
    lornathewizzard Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone, you guys have all done a fabulous job so far! You should think of maintenance as a goal in itself, it certainly is a challenge! I find that setting fitness goals and pushing myself in that area helps me, I think its more important now to focus on exercise than food. And darn do I rely on those exercise cals some days! Feel free to add me if you want, I'm always open to new buddies :)