NROLFW vs ChaLEAN Extreme vs TurboFire

Options
bethad5
bethad5 Posts: 176 Member
I am all cardio, all the time, and want to stop that and start strength training.

Which one should I do? For those of you that do these programs, what activity level do you set yourself at and what do your weekly workouts look like? (ex. 3x week lifting ___ min, __x week cardio...etc)

Replies

• SweatpantsRebellion
    SweatpantsRebellion Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    I too am curious about this. I've read NROLFW and have the book so that will be first strength based workout when I'm ready to get the lifting party started. But I hear a lot about the other programs, so I may end up doing one of them when I'm done with NROL.
  • squishycow7
    squishycow7 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    I haven't done any of them so I'm not super-qualified to answer this... BUT... I don't think ChaLEAN or Turbofire are really considered strength. They're still pretty much cardio.

Go for NROLFW! I hear awesome things about it!!
  • aprilcharris
    aprilcharris Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    TurboFire is very much cardio based. There are some strength components with resistance bands and some HIIT workouts but many of the workouts are 45 and 55 minute long cardio sessions.

Chalean Extreme is a heavy lifting program. You lift 3 days a week and do interval training 2 days a week. I am on my second round of Chalean Extreme and I follow the lifting schedule and use one of the interval/ab workouts once a week and one of the HIIT workouts from Turbo Fire the other day of the week. I am in the moderate exercise period of 3-5 hours a week. The strength workouts are between 35-45 ish minutes long and the interval workouts (plus the scheduled ab workout) are closer to an hour together. The HIIT I usually do is 25 minutes. Sometimes I do the treadmill on the 6th day of the week but I have dropped it lately because that usually pushes me into the strenuous category when I added in things like swimming laps while the kids swim, going on a family hike, etc.

I don't know anything about NROLFW. I'm thinking about ordering some of the Cathe Dvd's for after I finish this round of Chalean Extreme.
  • PLUMSGRL
    PLUMSGRL Posts: 1,134 Member
    Options
    I started New Rules last week, so far really like it except for my bad knees. But there are moves I'm learning to do to help them be stronger. There's also a New Rules for Life, supposed to be better for people that are older or have had damage to the body.
    Also the Cathe Friedrich's Muscle Max is supposed to be good.
    Go check out the new site for EM2WL:

http://eatmore2weighless.com/faqs/resources/

I walk my dog everyday (30-50 min) and the beginning work out is about 25 minutes (later stages go to almost a hour), 3x a week. Currently set for moderate, but also have a BM core so I'll be readjusting using that in another week, since I just started the program.
  • MrsKosal
    MrsKosal Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    I am in Stage 2 of NROLFW and absolutely love it. I am normally a cardio junkie and this has me hooked. I do NROL 3 days per week and cardio inbetween.
  • crystalwelshroberts
    crystalwelshroberts Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I love NROL4W. I finished stage1 & almost completed 2 but went on vacation and started 2 over again because I thought 12 days was too long of a break to just pick it up. I know I have gained muscle and lost inches (even though vacation was a set back :)

I count my activity as light based on my BMF. I sit 10 hours a day at work so my only movement is working out at the gym. T,Th,Su 45-60 weight training (stage 1 is quick, stage 2 takes a bit longer - Usually 200-300 calorie burn per BMF depending on how heavy I lift and the duration) M,W,Sat 90 minutes hot yoga (burns 250-300 calories per BMF)

I really love lifting heavy, it delivers toned muscles, but I haven't seen any weight loss...but who cares if you clothes are looser :)
  • navydentalchic
    navydentalchic Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    i JUST STARTED p90X (I know you asked about the others), I am also reading New Rules. I do own turbofire and the cool thing about it is it does include different HIIT workouts which from what I understand are good to do when weight training. I don't really use the other Turbo discs but the HIIT workouts and love the structure of someone telling me what to do from P90x :)
  • cinico
    cinico Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    i JUST STARTED p90X (I know you asked about the others), I am also reading New Rules. I do own turbofire and the cool thing about it is it does include different HIIT workouts which from what I understand are good to do when weight training. I don't really use the other Turbo discs but the HIIT workouts and love the structure of someone telling me what to do from P90x :)

Me to I am mixing p90x strength videos with Turbofire! I like the HIIT workouts and I actually am going to consider the p90x/ Turbofire hybrid that is at the BB website! Any who as for TF I think the workouts are great!!
  • AprilRenewed
    AprilRenewed Posts: 691 Member
    Options

Me to I am mixing p90x strength videos with Turbofire! I like the HIIT workouts and I actually am going to consider the p90x/ Turbofire hybrid that is at the BB website! Any who as for TF I think the workouts are great!!

I'm very similar and finishing up my last phase of P90X/Insanity hybrid I made up myself. P90X for the lifting, Insanity for the HIIT workouts.

After our vacation, though, I'm going to order ChiLEAN Extreme.
  • Noor13
    Noor13 Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    I am about to finish the third month of ChaLean Extreme. I loved it, but for me the workouts could have been a bit longer.

It surely is heavy lifting. I too combine it with the HIIT from Turbofire.

I own P90X, but won't be doing it, cause I kinda don't like the instructor (I know, silly)

My next stop is Cathes Slow and Heavy series
  • crystalwelshroberts
    crystalwelshroberts Posts: 147 Member
    Options

I completed P90x a couple of years ago (while doing VLCD yes I was always starving all the time :) I liked it and got really strong but it is a lot of time and dedication to do on my own... so far I prefer NROLW4W (probably because I am eating)
  • bethad5
    bethad5 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I am about to finish the third month of ChaLean Extreme. I loved it, but for me the workouts could have been a bit longer.

I own P90X, but won't be doing it, cause I kinda don't like the instructor (I know, silly)

what equipment do you need for CLX? and do the HIIT dvds with turbofire come with it, or do you have to buy them separately?
  • Noor13
    Noor13 Posts: 964 Member
    Options

what equipment do you need for CLX? and do the HIIT dvds with turbofire come with it, or do you have to buy them separately?
    I started CLX ony using resistance bands. They do work very well.
    Now I got the Bowflex adjustable dumbbells-that's all you need
    Yes, HIIT is part of TurboFire, but not of CLX
    CLX has also Cardio and HIIT workouts included though
  • MichelleRenee13
    MichelleRenee13 Posts: 363 Member
    Options

Walmart has Gold's Gym 25lb adjustable weights, which is what I purchased. I believe it will get me through CLX this go around. I am not able to afford more expensive adjustable weights at the moment.

The HIIT workouts inculded with CLX are quite good. I am enjoying them and I really work up a sweat. I wish I had a HRM to see what the actual burn is.