Zone Paleo Wha Wha Whaaat?

Options
Talialala
Talialala Posts: 40 Member
My Trainer today in CF mentioned I should look into the Zone Diet... I had mentioned I'm Paleo (Ok .... more like Primal sometimes BUT WHOSE COUNTING) And she mentioned that Zone might be something to look into because it restricts how much meat.

So... meat is a daily thing in our house but so is vegetables and fruit.

Does anyone here do zone paleo ? if so, why? how much of a diff was it from just being paleo?

Also, is this something I should try? That's probably a silly question. People are probably going to say its up to me, so maybe I'll try it but I wanted some feedback from the paleo/primal community :)

Replies

• caribougal
    caribougal Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I don't know about zone paleo but my trainer also told me to do a zone diet. I considered it for 1 day and decided it was waaaaay too complex for me. I didn't want to count "blocks" of each macro group.

I guess you could do primal and just set your macro goals to 40/30/30 and see how well you can manage. Is the issue for your trainer the meat? What about protein from fish or eggs?
  • SweetxCatastrophe
    SweetxCatastrophe Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    Agree -- I looked into zone and hated the blocks...sounded too much like counting weight watchers points. I also don't like beimg told to retrict things like meat since my body tells me when its had enough meat. Just for the sake of being a smartass, its totally up to you :)
  • impyimpyaj
    impyimpyaj Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    I guess my question is, why did your trainer recommend it? Any particular reason? Are you having trouble meeting your weight loss and fitness goals? Are your blood markers not in the healthy range?

If your trainer had a good reason for suggesting it, then it might be worth looking into. If your trainer suggested it because he/she just suggests it to everybody, and you're having success with what you're currently eating, I'd probably just blow it off.
  • Talialala
    Talialala Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    So here is some background I should have included in my first post... This is the first time my trainer has EVER met me. This is only my second day into CF. So I think (innocent assumption here) she "assumed" I may be like some paleo's that she has met, where you just eat meat meat meat meat meat and never have a limit because she mentioned "zone isn't like paleo. Paleo you can eat as much meat as you want, which is really counterproductive and not good for you"...

So I'm ASSUMING she "thinks" i'm like other paleo's she has maybe met? Where I just EAT MEAT RAWR!!

But in reality I eat a lot of veggies.

I also agree that the Zone **** is CONFUSING as ****! God... I can't seem to find any straight answers and I hate counting. In fact, I don't count calories, I only log them so I can be careful as to what I put into my body. If I go under/over I dont care.

And I've lost 6 pounds in two weeks going paleo. She hasn't known me but for one day.

I appreciate your feedback ladies. I'm totally scrapping the idea. I got a headache last night trying to figure out blocks. I use the golden rule of add colour to your plate. Veggies and fruit are very colourful :)

Thanks again! Very appreciative of your prompt responses!!! SCREW THE ZONE! (no offense zoners)
  • SweetxCatastrophe
    SweetxCatastrophe Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    That's what I don't like about trainers -- why can't they ask what your intake is like before trying to change it? It's also a misconception how much meat we eat on paleo.. Just like people think Atkins is all bacon and eggs. I eat soooooooo many more veggies on paleo than even when I was a vegetarian! I know they're there to help and all but zone is too damn confusing... Stick with what you're doing I'd say!
  • MikeFlyMike
    MikeFlyMike Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    also worth noting - is that due to some politics and an argument between Robb Wolf and some CF corporate types - the "official" support for Paleo by CF was pulled (or less emphasized). It was then that zone was endorsed from the top down. Not due to efficacy.
    Some people just repeat what they are told rather than understand the why's.
  • caribougal
    caribougal Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    MikeFlyMike, that's interesting about CF corporate and Robb Wolf.

When I met my trainer for the first time (not CF, but a functional fitness box gym) he suggested zone, and had a handout ready to go. So it was not based on me at all, but just something he gives to everyone. I haven't told him I switched to Primal. I figure if the weight and body fat comes off, then I'll share.

I think the perception that Paleo is just all meat is just that.. a perception... and most paleo eaters are eating more than their fair share of veggies too. Everyone thinks we eat bacon all day. It's just not the reality (I write, as I eat a zucchini dish cooked w/bacon).
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    My Trainer today in CF mentioned I should look into the Zone Diet... I had mentioned I'm Paleo (Ok .... more like Primal sometimes BUT WHOSE COUNTING) And she mentioned that Zone might be something to look into because it restricts how much meat.

So... meat is a daily thing in our house but so is vegetables and fruit.

Does anyone here do zone paleo ? if so, why? how much of a diff was it from just being paleo?

Also, is this something I should try? That's probably a silly question. People are probably going to say its up to me, so maybe I'll try it but I wanted some feedback from the paleo/primal community :)

Eating the 40/30/30 way makes me hungry too damn much.