Who strength trains at home?

Options
butterfli7o
butterfli7o Posts: 1,319 Member
Hi all...I'm anxious to start a strength train/HIIT routine, but I have minimal equipment for strength training at home. I have hand weights and a home gym. I have a barbell on the way. I really wanted to do Stronglifts5X5 but don't know if what I have now will cut it. If you train at home, can you share your routine? I work much better with a set plan to follow, but not sure what I should do. Help!

Replies

• MichelleRenee13
    MichelleRenee13 Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    I will put up a link of a really good beginners strength training link from Muscle and Strength when I get home. I know some other ladies have done or are doing this routine.
  • HeidiHoMom
    HeidiHoMom Posts: 1,393 Member
    Options
    I do New Rules of Lifting at home when I am unable to go to the gym (sometimes DH works late so I can't leave the kids).
  • zukkiz
    zukkiz Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    I also do New Rules of Lifting at home. I was lucky because my husband has about 90% of what I need. There have been a few modifications, but not any that has truly hampered my progress.
  • Ange_
    Ange_ Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    I do.

I was doing NROLFW but missed doing squats and was finding the program starting to take quite along time.
    So i've switched to stronglifts for a while. Only done day 1 of stronglifts but i think i'm going to like it.

i have a 50kg weight set (although i think i'm going to have to get a few extra plates now), a foldable bench and compact squat stands which let me do everything for stronglifts.
    When i was doing NROLFW i was also using a swiss ball and a homemade step.
    in my opinion stronglifts require less equipment since there are fewer exercises and also the equipment you have gets more use which i kind of like - feel like i'm getting better value for money :) Found New Rules a bit more difficult at home - had to be quite a few modifications, but nothing too bad.
  • bsinno
    bsinno Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    i've been alternating 2 videos at home: Cathe Fredrich's Muscle Max & HiiT. i really like them both!
  • TripleJ3
    TripleJ3 Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    This is the one I like. It takes minimal equipment besides having to buy heavier plates as you progress. This may be what a previous poster was referring to:

http://www.muscleandstrength.com/workouts/dumbbell-only-home-or-gym-fullbody-workout.html?page=2
  • PLUMSGRL
    PLUMSGRL Posts: 1,134 Member
    Options
    I also do New Rules at home, got most of my equipment from craigslist for cheap!

Also the Cathe Friedrich Muscle Max is supposed to be good, go check the resource page on the new EM2WL site:

http://eatmore2weighless.com/faqs/resources/
  • SurroDoula
    SurroDoula Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    In a couple of weeks we are moving to a new house, and I will have an area that is big enough to use some weights. I have never really done free weights, and I'm wondering what those of you who do this at home would recommend buying to get started on this at home? I'm a nursing student, headed back to my third year (of four) in the fall, so I KNOW that my free time will be limited and the only way weight lifting will happen is if I do it at home.
  • Noor13
    Noor13 Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    I do lift at home-doing CLX
  • MichelleRenee13
    MichelleRenee13 Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    http://www.muscleandstrength.com/workouts/dumbbell-only-home-or-gym-fullbody-workout.html

Above link is a dumbbell only workout for at home. I have used it and like it a lot.

I am currently doing ChaLean Extreme. I just started my 3rd week.