Correct calories burned

Options
Maiello1970
Maiello1970 Posts: 73 Member
Has anyone figured out the correct calories burned with the workouts? I haven't yet invested in a HRM but i would like to have a good base on how to calculate calories burned. Currently list it as circuit training, general but unsure how close to accurate that is.... any ideas? message me

Replies

• ladyIcan
    ladyIcan Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I have been using a HRM that I purchased relatively recently, and when I compared calories burned on HRM to "circuit training, general" calories calculated by MFP, I found out that MFP substantially overestimates the amount burned. For me, the difference was even as much as 150-180 cals per 30 minute workout. I would strongly recommend that you purchase a HRM if you want to know the exact amount burned.

If you don't want to invest in a HRM, I guess the circuit training option would be the best choice, but bear in mind the actual amount burned is probably less.
  • Maiello1970
    Maiello1970 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I have been using a HRM that I purchased relatively recently, and when I compared calories burned on HRM to "circuit training, general" calories calculated by MFP, I found out that MFP substantially overestimates the amount burned. For me, the difference was even as much as 150-180 cals per 30 minute workout. I would strongly recommend that you purchase a HRM if you want to know the exact amount burned.

If you don't want to invest in a HRM, I guess the circuit training option would be the best choice, but bear in mind the actual amount burned is probably less.

Thanks for that info! I'm guessing a decent one would cost around $75?
  • ladyIcan
    Options
    You're welcome, any time. I bought Polar FT4 from http://www.heartratemonitorsusa.com. They are right now $65 and have free shipping. They have specials from time to time, and I think I got mine on sale. I am pretty happy with it. It does what I need it to do. They also have less expensive FT1 and FT2, and more expensive and more complicated ones. I studied the descriptions on the website, and FT4 seemed like the best compromise between the price and functionality for me. It seems that a lot of people on MFP use a Polar.
  • FineassTJ
    FineassTJ Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    You're welcome, any time. I bought Polar FT4 from http://www.heartratemonitorsusa.com. They are right now $65 and have free shipping. They have specials from time to time, and I think I got mine on sale. I am pretty happy with it. It does what I need it to do. They also have less expensive FT1 and FT2, and more expensive and more complicated ones. I studied the descriptions on the website, and FT4 seemed like the best compromise between the price and functionality for me. It seems that a lot of people on MFP use a Polar.

For the 30 minute workouts, how many calories does your FT4 say you burn? I have the same model and I know everyone burns different calories based on numerous things but just curious as to what someone else HRM say they burn during the workouts.
  • ladyIcan
    Options
    For JMBR Cardio workouts, it is usually up to 250 (e.g., yesterday in the evening it was 204 and this morning 225 for the same workout), and for the remaining ones usually somewhere between 250 and 325. Some of the workouts are shorter than others, so I assume that will also account for the difference in calories burned.
  • sweettthings
    sweettthings Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    According to my HRM, Workouts 1 & 2 and Cardio 1 are all approximately 250-265 calories. I just did Workout 3 for the first time and it was 276.

I think it all depends on gender, age, weight, fitness level, etc., so everyone's burn is going to be a little different.
  • Maryt1961
    Maryt1961 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    My hrm calorie burn doesn't do well...not an expensive model....it does give me a good indicator of ave hr during the workout for which I plug it into a formula that gives me cals...it gives me in this same range also....
  • LeslePG
    LeslePG Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Definitely reccomend a HRM, and I also would go thru heartratemonitorsusa.com. Got the best deal thru them (which was good, b/c hubby and I both wanted one!). It's really the best way to get accurate calorie burn. Best of luck to you!
  • mareed123
    mareed123 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Ive got the polar ft4 too and love it, average burn for any of the weights workouts is around 250 for me (however i then deduct what i would normally burn if i wasnt working out which for me is 120 cals) so i dont overestimate cals burned.