Low t3 syndrome

Options
Hey all. My doctor says that I have low t3 syndrome. Is it considered as hypothyroidism and will it cause difficulty in losing weight? What food should I be eat/ not eat? All comments are welcomed! Thanks.

Replies

• Huiminlovesfood
    Options
    It has been days since I posted this. Anyone please?? I really need help!
  • lin7604
    lin7604 Posts: 3,019 Member
    Options
    all i know is when you have a thyroid issue you shouldn't consume soy items.
  • lmelangley
    lmelangley Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    I think you should ask your doctor. It sounds like hypothyroidism, but it's possible the two diagnoses aren't exact. Did your doctor prescribe any medications? Did he refer you to an endocrinologist? How low was your test?
  • emstethem
    emstethem Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Just eat real food. Nothing packaged. Nothing containing soy. Cut back on sugar, bread, pasta. Especially eat foods that are good for your heart...and add cardio exercises to your routine. Has your doctor prescribed you any type of medication? I've been hypothyroid for 6 years now. Getting the the right medication and getting your dosage right is very important.
  • tecallahan
    tecallahan Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    Low T3 syndrome is one of the reasons I've been saying that Synthetic T4 doesn't work... T3 is not made by your thyroid, it is made in several other organs, primarily the liver. So, if the doctor gives you T4, and it makes your TSH go down, that DOES NOT mean that your liver is successfully converting that T4 to T3 -- therefore, you are still hypothyroid.

I'm not sure how your doctor figured that out, but bravo to him!! Next question: is he giving you any T3 medication?
    'cause if your body isn't converting T4 to T3 you will need to be supplemented. I guess Cytomel is the likely candidate as it is only T3.

And since T3 manages most of your metabolism, it is harder to lose weight - so the other tips on this post all apply -- although, I would recommend more resistance training than cardio -- and keep the cardio "gentle" like walking. When your metabolism is whacked, if you do intense cardio you can make it worse... and end up with Reverse T3.

Check out www.stopthethyroidmadness.com for help in understanding how your thyroid works... and how it impacts almost every area of your metabolism, including Iron/Ferritin levels, Vitamin D levels, cortisol/aldosterone/adrenal levels, etc.

Terri