How quickly did you gain the weight?

Options
Hey, everyone. Having a bit of a rough time this last week, and finally weighed myself today at the doctor's, when getting my thyroid tested.

I bumped my calories up from 750 to 1650 and in 4~ weeks, I have gained 10 lbs. I'm so scared right now. I don't know what to do. I feel really gross and discouraged. I knew I had gained weight, but already 10 lbs? What if my TDEE is wrong? I have it set at sedentary, even though I weight lift 3 times a week, usually. I haven't been able to this passed week because I injured my shoulder. I'm at a loss, guys, I really and truly am. I thought I could be strong through this but it's really getting to me.

Has anyone else experienced the weight gain this fast? Is something wrong? Should I keep going? :(

Good news is I'm starting to feel hungry now, and eating my total calories has become MUCH easier. Just the weight gain is seriously bothering me and I don't know how much more I can take. I'm only on my fourth week. What if I keep gaining? Did anyone else stop gaining around their fourth week or so?

Sorry guys. Thanks for listening. :/

Replies

• holleysings
    holleysings Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    How long did you eat at 750 calories/day? My guess is your body is clinging on to every calorie it gets because you starved it. It kinda happened to me after I broke the 1200 calorie/day diet I did for 14 weeks. Keep eating and your body will realize that you are no longer starving. Ignore the scale. Just focus on how much better you feel and keep up the good work!
  • Settuccini
    Settuccini Posts: 44
    Options
    I ate this way for a good 6+ months. Dropping as low as 650 calories for around 3 months. I got down to 97 lbs this way. I upped my calories before and got up to 114 lbs, and then freaked out about my weight and started at 750. That didn't last long, maybe a month, since I really want to overcome this... "fear" of food. The problem is, I'm coming from a normal weight of 114 lbs at 5' 2.5". Now I'm up to 124... :( I'm trying really hard to hang in there, but it's so difficult. On such a short frame, the weight is pretty obvious.

Thank you for responding. I'm just having a rough week.
  • Noor13
    Noor13 Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    It is for everyone different.
    But since you have been on such low cals for some time your body needs to learn to trust me again.
    You have come so far, do not give up.
    It is just for a short time, compared to what is ahead of you.
    Stay strong
  • crystalwelshroberts
    crystalwelshroberts Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    so if you were 114 and 5' 2.5" 1650 calories would make you gain weight. Have you gone to scooby to figure out what your calories should be? Try this link:

http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/
  • Settuccini
    Options
    Yes, I've been to his site, used the calculator many times, my TDEE at sedentary is 1615. However, I exercise three times a week, so I just round it off to 1650 (usually 1700 on exercise days), since it shouldn't really matter, considering I don't track in my exercise calories on his site due to having thyroid issues.

Female, 20, 114.4 lbs, 5'2.5".
    BMR: 1346.
    Sedentary TDEE: 1615.
    Lightly Active TDEE: 1850.

Yes, I knew I'd gain weight on the reset, as does everyone, but my worry is how fast I have gained. I don't know if I'm gaining so quickly because I'm coming from such an extreme (750 cals to 1600 cals) or if I am, in fact, eating way too much.

I dunno, four weeks, 10 lbs is a bit crazy to me and was just curious if anyone else experienced this.
  • meggyh20
    meggyh20 Posts: 116
    Options
    I would think of it this way. In order to truly gain 10 lbs, you would need to eat an excess of 35000 calories over 4 weeks, over your TDEE. Thats almost 10000 calories per week, or 1500 extra per day. This is unlikely to be true fat gain based on that, but you could actually be building some muscle back (and retaining water) since your body now has the fuel to maintain it. It does seem extreme, but I think it is likely temporary. Just remember weight isn't everything. Keep at it for another four weeks and see how things go. Your body needs to learn you will keep feeding it.
  • crystalwelshroberts
    crystalwelshroberts Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I would think of it this way. In order to truly gain 10 lbs, you would need to eat an excess of 35000 calories over 4 weeks, over your TDEE. Thats almost 10000 calories per week, or 1500 extra per day. This is unlikely to be true fat gain based on that, but you could actually be building some muscle back (and retaining water) since your body now has the fuel to maintain it. It does seem extreme, but I think it is likely temporary. Just remember weight isn't everything. Keep at it for another four weeks and see how things go. Your body needs to learn you will keep feeding it.

^^agreed^^

I think the VLCD is the culprit (since I had the same weight gain problem! after many many years of VLCD with tons of exercise)
  • holleysings
    holleysings Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    Don't be worried! Your body is adjusting to more food. I would suggest ditching the scale and to stop focusing on that number. I know it will be hard for you, but it's probably best until you're further into your reset or done with it. You can do it!:flowerforyou:
  • Settuccini
    Options

Thank you. I'm really, really hoping this is the case. I've been pretty consistent in how much I'm eating. If anything, I've only gone 50-100 over on a few days, but this is very rare. I've definitely gotten a bit stronger. The problem is my clothes aren't fitting! Haha. I feel better now after reading that, thank you so much.

Thanks to everyone else who replied and encouraged me to stick with it. I definitely will give it my all. Today was just a bad day, being forced to get weighed at the doctors and all.
  • HeidiHoMom
    HeidiHoMom Posts: 1,393 Member
    Options
    Have you taken measurements?

Kiki is 5'2 I believe and she weighs like 145 but looks like she weighs 110 and she eats like 2400 cals a day.

Very very very few people are truly sedentary. You likely should be eating more. Your body needs at least 8 weeks to adjust to the higher amount of calories. Your gain is mostly water weight.
  • Settuccini
    Options
    I'm positive my measurements have changed, judging by how my clothes fit (or don't fit, I should say...). I'm trying to avoid any form of measurement until I begin my cut. Today, getting weighed, was out of my hands. I didn't look at the scale, but when my doctor came in he said, "So... We've gained a bit of weight?" And I was just like "Ouch. There goes my efforts at avoiding this. D:" Lmao. Ahh, well. Then he just pointed out what I weighed and how it's still a "healthy BMI range." However, it's not the weight I want to be, so it really got to me!

I'm really hoping it's water weight. I don't feel as if it's... fat. Like, I don't feel "jiggle-y," if that makes sense. However, my arms, thighs, butt, and stomach are clearly bigger. I just don't really know what water weight looks like, I guess! Been so long since I've had my period that I sort of forgot what that's like.