Anybody competing ?

Options
cjsmommy7
cjsmommy7 Posts: 135 Member
Hi all,
Im Jo 33 from UK have my first fight coming up in October so am stepping up the training from today . Just wondered if anyone else is competing soon and how you change up your training accordingly. Very Excited .:happy:

Replies

• michaelocampo
    michaelocampo Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    My coach ramps up and tapers off my training about 4 weeks before competition. I take it easy in my personal workouts to avoid over-fatigue and to minimize chance of injury. Up until that time, I train my weaknesses because once i am in my 4 week window i don't absorb new strategies, i am just perfecting my current ones and getting used to expending energy. (unless i know my opponents, then the 4 weeks is taking my strategy and applying it to them, usually still no new stuff though). very exciting indeed! good luck!
  • trackercasey76
    trackercasey76 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    I am fighting in the AOMA TaeKwonDo Nationals next Saturday...It is my first Tourney
  • cjsmommy7
    Options
    Thanks Michael sounds like good advice. Congrats Trackercasey and best of luck to you for your upcoming tournament :smile:
  • Tat2dDom624
    Tat2dDom624 Posts: 1,226 Member
    Options
    I am fighting in the AOMA TaeKwonDo Nationals next Saturday...It is my first Tourney

Best of luck to you!
  • trackercasey76
    Options
    Thanks Guys...I am getting nervous!! Doing the Nationals as my first event...Nothing like jumping in the deep end!!
  • cjsmommy7
    Options
    I think sometimes you just got to jump in with both feet. Best of luck and please let us know how you get on:smile:
  • AlbionOakley
    AlbionOakley Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Ive competed 4 times in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu as a white belt. Just got my blue belt a month ago and competing for the first time on the 18th AUgust. Not training as much as I would like , twice a week, due to a new baby at home but wanted to get my first comp as a blue belt out of the way and this one is in my home town.
  • JMPerlin
    JMPerlin Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I am contemplating competing in a tournament this Oct. I am just not sure at the moment. :embarassed:
  • Recovering_for_cupcakes
    Options
    I have a lot of competition experience at this point and my best advice to to listen to your body and to your coach, but first to yourself. If you feel like you're dragging the couple of days before you fight take some time off. Keep yourself loose but stay away from anything high impact. If you feel you have energy to burn work on technique instead of speed. Don't let your nerves dictate your fight or your prep. The more experience you gain the more you'll know what you need. Also- eat and drink a lot!!! You don't want to mess up your fueling right now. Hydration is major and unless you're cutting weight, which it doesn't seem like you would be if this is the first competition, then maintaining your energy levels will be key. There will be a lot of nervous energy in the next week or so and make sure that as much as you can keep the same you do. Good luck. Stay calm, stay in the ring and leave your expectations at the door. Remember 50% of the people who enter that competition will not make it past the first round. There is and equal chance of winning or losing with those kinds of odds. HAVE FUN!!!!
  • trackercasey76
    Options
    I have a lot of competition experience at this point and my best advice to to listen to your body and to your coach, but first to yourself. If you feel like you're dragging the couple of days before you fight take some time off. Keep yourself loose but stay away from anything high impact. If you feel you have energy to burn work on technique instead of speed. Don't let your nerves dictate your fight or your prep. The more experience you gain the more you'll know what you need. Also- eat and drink a lot!!! You don't want to mess up your fueling right now. Hydration is major and unless you're cutting weight, which it doesn't seem like you would be if this is the first competition, then maintaining your energy levels will be key. There will be a lot of nervous energy in the next week or so and make sure that as much as you can keep the same you do. Good luck. Stay calm, stay in the ring and leave your expectations at the door. Remember 50% of the people who enter that competition will not make it past the first round. There is and equal chance of winning or losing with those kinds of odds. HAVE FUN!!!!

Thanks!! I have coached the kids in our class at the state tourney and will be doing that again at the nationals. I HOPE being able to focus on them will help keep my mind off from my fights later in the day. I have ZERO expectations so I can't be disappointed!! I spar well in class but I'm sure fighting strangers will much different. I appreciate your words of wisdom and will not only use them myself but will pass them on to my team mates.
  • Mhaney
    Mhaney Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    My 9 year old is doing her first tournament this saturday. Our instructor tried to talk me into it but she's been in a year more than I have, I've only been taking part in class for 2 months now even though I already knew the first 2 forms from reviewing with her at home.
  • jfinnivan
    jfinnivan Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    Just think what message you'll give to your daughter if you enter into the tournament. You'll give it your best shot, and she'll see that. Attitude is the important thing. I always tell my students that when you're testing or competing, if you make a mistake, act as if you're right and everyone else is wrong, and just keep going with confidence. It will show in your movements and stance. That's what most judges are looking for. Go for it!
    My 9 year old is doing her first tournament this saturday. Our instructor tried to talk me into it but she's been in a year more than I have, I've only been taking part in class for 2 months now even though I already knew the first 2 forms from reviewing with her at home.