Is "2 lb a week loss" even possible?

Options
firstsip
firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
So now that I've been religiously using MFP for quite awhile, I know I'm not the people who complain about no progress but eat Burger King, don't exercise, etc.

I'm the weird "no thyroid from thyroidectomy/they thought it was cancer when I was 13" girl, who recently had her meds super adjusted over the last year because I had been so OVERdosed, I ended up in the hospital with a TSH of 0, heart arrhythmia (that still hasn't gone away), etc. All of my weight issues have been over this last year.

So, needless to say, I've been aiming for a "2 lb a week" loss--haven't gone over my calories for the day in weeks, I exercise AT LEAST 30 min everyday. I've been losing weight, yes... but so slow. Literally under 1 lb a week.

Has anyone managed to lose weight more quickly?

Replies

• tecallahan
    tecallahan Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    Nope -- there's so many factors to losing weight when you have hypothyroidism -- I tried for many years and never lost any weight... now I settle for being fit and being able to maintain the weight loss that took me 2 years. It's a life style change -- we will never be able to eat like other people do.

You can find out more about how your thyroid works with your adrenals and other aspects of your metabolism at: www.stopthethyroidmadness.com
  • lmelangley
    lmelangley Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    I only tried for 1 lb a week, but actually lost about 3 lbs every 4 weeks. My theory has been that I'll stay with the journey, no matter how slow it goes.
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    2 lbs a week isn't reasonable for most people, even those whose metabolisms are functioning normally. To lose that much in a healthy manner, you have to be either extremely active or obese.
  • firstsip
    Options
    Welp, I feel even more down after these posts. I'd hope my age (23) and relative health (I've always been active, and I am very active physically), and the fact that I'm not obese or even overweight (just the heavier side of normal) would end up paying off... but I guess not.
  • tisane42
    tisane42 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    How much do you have to lose? It's simply not healthy to lose that much in a week unless you go on a very unhealthy diet unless your habits have been atrocious (like you weigh 300+ and it's the first few weeks of your diet)
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    Don't feel down. Everyone has trouble losing the last 10 lbs, they say. But that means that 1/2 to 1 lb per week would be a much more realistic goal.
  • firstsip
    Options
    I'm ultimately shooting for a 25 lb weight loss, but I've only lost about... 2 pounds since January? I've seen my endo very frequently, since I had the earlier issues with my TSH, and we did a full adrenal screening. My levels were high normal/slightly high depending on the test, so not enough to merit treatment in his opinion (I got worried, since I had suffered from adrenal insufficiency... like full on flat-lined adrenals, when I was 14/15).

So needless to say, I'm not losing weight much AT ALL. My primary care insists that it's probably to do with the unneeded stress on my body from the recent thyroid debacle, but in the meantime: I was always thin; now I'm not. I'm getting married in less than 10 months, and I'm terrified I'll look not myself.

So, if I'm not even losing half a pound a week with perfect diet and exercise, I get more stressed...
  • nspink
    nspink Posts: 65
    Options
    2lb a week would be lovely but to tell you the truth from my own experience... (also had a full TTD) Its very hard and keeping it off is even harder when I lose that much. So, My goal is 1lb per week and i was on a roll. but just recently hit plateau...I think its due to the fact that i'm getting closer to my goal weight. I'm going to shake things up and see how I do on my next week weigh in.

But, I do at least 1hour of cardio workout 5x a week and eating healthier/clean diet under my calorie goal to reach my weight lost so far.

I don't beleive its impossible but you have to really pay attention to what kind of calorie you are eating and not just staying under the calorie goal. (whole wheat, low fat, low sodium, get more fruits and veggies in.)
  • firstsip
    Options
    2lb a week would be lovely but to tell you the truth from my own experience... (also had a full TTD) Its very hard and keeping it off is even harder when I lose that much. So, My goal is 1lb per week and i was on a roll. but just recently hit plateau...I think its due to the fact that i'm getting closer to my goal weight. I'm going to shake things up and see how I do on my next week weigh in.

But, I do at least 1hour of cardio workout 5x a week and eating healthier/clean diet under my calorie goal to reach my weight lost so far.

I don't beleive its impossible but you have to really pay attention to what kind of calorie you are eating and not just staying under the calorie goal. (whole wheat, low fat, low sodium, get more fruits and veggies in.)

I know you mean well, but I find that very patronizing. I DO watch what kinds of foods I'm eating--hell, I don't even eat gluten most of the time, and I'm actually very low in my sodium (my fiance has a low sodium diet), etc. I do 30 min. cardio 7 days a week, and generally up to 2ish hours 3-4 times a week. I've tried eating back calories, not eating back all calories, etc. I'm low-carb, haven't eaten red meat in years, don't eat sugary, processed foods, etc.

I wouldn't post in a thread if I hadn't tried everything first...

That being said, I understand that many of your are commenting because you've gone through similar experiences... but please pay mind to what I said: "Is it POSSIBLE"? As in, I've done everything that's good, and many of you are saying it just isn't doable at my weight, thyroid status, etc.

That's fine. But don't sit there and say, "Well, maybe you're eating poorly." (If I wanted that, I'd go to my endo...)

Thanks.
  • piesbd
    piesbd Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I don't think anyone was trying to say that you are not eating right, but that those with thyroid issues have to be even more mindful of diet because that plays an even more crucial role in weight then "normal" people.

Regarding your question of 2lb/week. I honestly don't know if it is doable, even for those that do not have thyroid issues. Everyone's body loses/maintains weight differently, so it is really about how your body is doing. I wish I could tell you to do XXX and the weight will come off, but I can't. Good luck!
  • tecallahan
    tecallahan Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    So now that I've been religiously using MFP for quite awhile, I know I'm not the people who complain about no progress but eat Burger King, don't exercise, etc.

I'm the weird "no thyroid from thyroidectomy/they thought it was cancer when I was 13" girl, who recently had her meds super adjusted over the last year because I had been so OVERdosed, I ended up in the hospital with a TSH of 0, heart arrhythmia (that still hasn't gone away), etc. All of my weight issues have been over this last year.

So, needless to say, I've been aiming for a "2 lb a week" loss--haven't gone over my calories for the day in weeks, I exercise AT LEAST 30 min everyday. I've been losing weight, yes... but so slow. Literally under 1 lb a week.

Has anyone managed to lose weight more quickly?

No one is trying to patronize you -- literally every person on this forum is in the same boat as you. We have all tried different kinds of diets, calories, workouts and we have all had frustration trying to lose weight.

I've lost in small amounts by eating low carb -- and by that I mean getting rid of sugars and starches - and all my carbs coming from veggies and some fruit - adding in nuts, seeds, avocado, olive oil, etc. Then I stopped losing weight that way.

I also am gluten free and dairy free -- lost a little at first, but then stopped.

Then I tried eating more calories and doing more weight training - and lost a little at that and then it stopped.

Now I am down to the last 4-5 pounds and haven't lost anything in 2 months. But I feel more healthy, I have more muscle and am stronger than I've ever been in my life at 60 years old.

I think you should mix it up and try different things - give each of them 2-4 weeks as our bodies don't respond quickly. I would highly recommend weight training - the more muscle you have, the more your metabolism will fire up. I don't think 2 pounds a week is possible or healthy -- unless you are very obese. But I think 1/2 - 1 pound a week is AWESOME if you can do it. I started my journey in October, 2011 - and have only lost 20 pounds total - took me almost a year.

Hope this helps!
    Terri
  • Betti2
    Betti2 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    It is but be warned there are no short cuts & your goal should be more realistic.
    It took me over 6 months to lose 20lb.. Its slow path, the secret is a healthy diet & heaps of determination
  • marijasmin
    marijasmin Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I can only talk from my own experience. Had cancer and the treatment wrecked my thyroid and I lost most of my shape and muscle. Left with diabetes type 2 and was then put on steroids. At the age of 47 I was just glad to be alive even if looking very strange!!!

My weight finally stablised at 98 kilos- 222lbs at max- bearing in mind previously I never exceeded 140 lbs.

Feeling very depressed in 2004 I started the Body for Life Programme- one session per year split into two parts of 6 weeks and did this every year until this year. Frankly I was lucky to loose a lb a month- let alone a week. But I kept at it and now I am 61.5 kilos and that is 37 kilos down in 8 years. My weight never increased more than a kilo or so but steadily went down It is worth the work. This year I want to loose fat and gain muscle, my body is still blobby because the proportions aren't right of muscle to fat. So I want to loose 5 kilos of weight- 18 lbs of fat and gain 6lbs of muscle. I think it will take 18 months of hard work.

Not much progress this year. :ohwell:
    So be it.

Girlfriend- it doesn't really matter how long it takes and how many backward steps to go forward. No matter how slowly you progress then you are moving in the right direction. It is so worth losing every ounce to get there! an ounce a week gets you there in the end even if it feels unfair. Our thyroid trashed bodies do what they do :sad:

Jasmin
  • JessyJ03
    JessyJ03 Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    I usually do around 1.5 lbs a week when aiming for 2 lbs per week. My weight loss has been slow but I think this is a combo of diet slip ups and thyroid issues.
  • firstsip
    Options
    I can only talk from my own experience. Had cancer and the treatment wrecked my thyroid and I lost most of my shape and muscle. Left with diabetes type 2 and was then put on steroids. At the age of 47 I was just glad to be alive even if looking very strange!!!

My weight finally stablised at 98 kilos- 222lbs at max- bearing in mind previously I never exceeded 140 lbs.

Feeling very depressed in 2004 I started the Body for Life Programme- one session per year split into two parts of 6 weeks and did this every year until this year. Frankly I was lucky to loose a lb a month- let alone a week. But I kept at it and now I am 61.5 kilos and that is 37 kilos down in 8 years. My weight never increased more than a kilo or so but steadily went down It is worth the work. This year I want to loose fat and gain muscle, my body is still blobby because the proportions aren't right of muscle to fat. So I want to loose 5 kilos of weight- 18 lbs of fat and gain 6lbs of muscle. I think it will take 18 months of hard work.

Not much progress this year. :ohwell:
    So be it.

Girlfriend- it doesn't really matter how long it takes and how many backward steps to go forward. No matter how slowly you progress then you are moving in the right direction. It is so worth losing every ounce to get there! an ounce a week gets you there in the end even if it feels unfair. Our thyroid trashed bodies do what they do :sad:

Jasmin

Thanks girl :( This post DID make me feel better, if only for you, rather than saying, "Wellll, be careful! Maybe you're not doing a., b., c.,), you pointed out the sheer unfairness of thyroid. :/
  • piesbd
    Options
    [/quote]

Thanks girl :( This post DID make me feel better, if only for you, rather than saying, "Wellll, be careful! Maybe you're not doing a., b., c.,), you pointed out the sheer unfairness of thyroid. :/
    [/quote]

It is unfair. I get pissed and depressed when my MFP friends log huge losses (huge to me anymore is 0.5 + per week.... as I don't seem to lose anymore). It makes me want to quit, but then I remember what I was like before.... no thank you! I am not going back there!

Keep up, you can do this (or well, we all can!)
  • firstsip
    Options
    I'd like to pipe back up since I had a check-in today. I've officially lost 10 pounds since June 1. So yes, that is pretty good, I suppose, just disheartening when I've got a wedding dress to fit into in less than 10 months, pictures that will live with me forever, and MFP always gives me that hopeful little "you should weigh such and such in 5 week!" Not ANYWHERE close to where MFP tells me I'll be, but I guess progress is progress? Now...25 more pounds to go :/
  • piesbd
    Options
    I'd like to pipe back up since I had a check-in today. I've officially lost 10 pounds since June 1. So yes, that is pretty good, I suppose, just disheartening when I've got a wedding dress to fit into in less than 10 months, pictures that will live with me forever, and MFP always gives me that hopeful little "you should weigh such and such in 5 week!" Not ANYWHERE close to where MFP tells me I'll be, but I guess progress is progress? Now...25 more pounds to go :/

10lbs is 2mo is awesome :) If you keep that up, you should hit the goal weight by your wedding :)
  • marijasmin
    marijasmin Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    BTW there is one amazing effect of a low thyroid- you won't age as fast as your mfp norms. Almost every 60 year old I know with low thyroid has fabulous unlined skin.
    10lbs is a wonderful achievement for a hypo.

Jasmin